New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #3,797 of 4,126
All I want for Xmas is a tap to wake firmware update from Sony.

Dec 23, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #3,798 of 4,126
I'm sorry but this thing is pretty terrible. Bought my first one and it would crash on me...returned that and bought a second one...worked flawlessly for about a week...just now I get a loud pop and no sound. I reset the player and still no sound. So I powered it down and back up, voila sound....although now with a hissing noise from the left channel that wasn't there before. Using Dorado. I factory reset the player and as soon as it starts up the hissing returns. I went through all the Google prompts turned off wifi and updated....still hear the hissing. I love the form factor of this tiny player but back to the Amazon enclaves it goes. If sony can't standardize quality then who will? If anyone has a tip I'll be happy to hear it.
I never ended up returning the 2nd one. The sound issue was some sort of anomaly that never happened again. I put a higher impedance cable on my IEM and the static stopped. After some time I put the original cable back and the static seemed to have gone away completely. I love the size and weight of this player too much and wish all daps were this small and light. I use it with different monitors for around 1 hour a day and it has become my primary driver for the Clears! Very happy with this little dap.

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #3,799 of 4,126
Its handled by Amazon Japan so duties/fees/postage already in the price (should see breakdown on invoice).

Why you always want one fulfilled by Amazon, irrespective of the seller.
What's interesting is, I ended up paying the equivalent of $305 US shipped, which is far cheaper than the capped version on Amazon in Europe which hovers around 400 euros.

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #3,800 of 4,126
I still can't figure out how to get the native sony walkman app to recognize the songs on my imported m3u playlists. They always show 0 songs. I think it's something with the paths, but they work on every other device.

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #3,801 of 4,126
Dec 23, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #3,803 of 4,126
I like to carry light for my 6 day working week ie. pants pockets, so when I lost the SD card support for my phone with a recent upgrade the focus was on a small light dap as a replacement music player. The Shanling M0 Pro is ideal in many respects but it's limitations are having me look to other options, with some compromises.
My main issue is the lack of physical controls, with the wheel being only configured for previous or next track, and I frequently use both. The other is with bluetooth reconnections that require long press and/or several swipes instead of a drop down menu.
An obvious option is the Shanling M1s, or Hiby R3, but being a long time Sony user the A300 might work for me. My Walkman history has always been with their non-android OS, but I could benefit with the podcast and audiobook apps (not a priority).
Is anyone able to share any experiences or opinions please on the android based A300 series to a mini dap like the Hiby or Shanling M1s, or others I may have overlooked?

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #3,804 of 4,126
I like to carry light for my 6 day working week ie. pants pockets, so when I lost the SD card support for my phone with a recent upgrade the focus was on a small light dap as a replacement music player. The Shanling M0 Pro is ideal in many respects but it's limitations are having me look to other options, with some compromises.
My main issue is the lack of physical controls, with the wheel being only configured for previous or next track, and I frequently use both. The other is with bluetooth reconnections that require long press and/or several swipes instead of a drop down menu.
An obvious option is the Shanling M1s, or Hiby R3, but being a long time Sony user the A300 might work for me. My Walkman history has always been with their non-android OS, but I could benefit with the podcast and audiobook apps (not a priority).
Is anyone able to share any experiences or opinions please on the android based A300 series to a mini dap like the Hiby or Shanling M1s, or others I may have overlooked?
Less than a week in and the A306 is versatile albeit a bit slow in comparison to a flagship phone. Battery life is dependent on use case. but 12 hours is easy with Wi-Fi and BT off and playing HR files. Don't expect to power anything that need a desktop amp but I can enjoy HD600 at 100 out of 120 volume., Tiny is a good description and is about the size of a pack of playing cards. I suggest a Japanese model unless you are a fan of nag screen volume warnings.

Now its up to you. Compared to the Cayin N3Pro I prefer the Sony

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #3,805 of 4,126
Hmm thanks but the suggestion in that thread doesn't work.
Ah ok, I have not tried it myself, just read someone modify them to replace the "\" by "/" with notepad and just copy it into the dap "Music" folder. Sorry to hear that.

Dec 24, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #3,806 of 4,126
Hi, I can only say that I had one of the original Hiby R3's, son's got it and it was brilliant. Changed it for the Sony NWA 105, great DAP but terrible battery drain. I've had the unrestricted version of the NWA 306 since February. I love this little DAP. Fantastic player. So many positives against few weaknesses. I'd recommend anyone who has the money to buy one. Great with wired or Bluetooth earbuds. I've got Fiio fa7's wired, Bang and Olufsen Beoplay Ex's and Sony's new wf1000xm5's. My view is 👌👌👌. Good luck 👍

Dec 24, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #3,808 of 4,126
Ah ok, I have not tried it myself, just read someone modify them to replace the "\" by "/" with notepad and just copy it into the dap "Music" folder. Sorry to hear that.
That's okay. Thanks for trying to help. I think the issue is that suggestion was a holdover from for the older unix based NW-55 which did need the slash inverted. The issue here I think is something else. I think it's a path issue. But, not sure. Can't seem to get a playlist in that works. Also, Sony doesn't provide any way for us to export the favorites and playlists we create on the device. Hoping they rectify that via firmware as it makes no sense to curate your library when one SD card failure (which just happened to me) wipes out your favorite track references.

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #3,809 of 4,126
That's okay. Thanks for trying to help. I think the issue is that suggestion was a holdover from for the older unix based NW-55 which did need the slash inverted. The issue here I think is something else. I think it's a path issue. But, not sure. Can't seem to get a playlist in that works. Also, Sony doesn't provide any way for us to export the favorites and playlists we create on the device. Hoping they rectify that via firmware as it makes no sense to curate your library when one SD card failure (which just happened to me) wipes out your favorite track references.
Did you by chance already try going into the Walkman Player app Settings and selecting either ‘Update Database’ and/or ‘Rebuild Database’? I have to do this everyone now n then, usually after I had the Walkman plugged into the pc. Sometimes the device either won’t see my music or it will see it but won’t play a track and gives an error. It’s usually the ladder. Rebuilding Database always fixes it for me. It may take a while if you have thousands of tracks.
Also for reference, on my SD card I have a main folder simply titled Music. Then inside that folder is a sub folder titled My Music. Inside the My Music folder is where all my tracks are. Maybe try setting it up that way with a main folder and sub folder.. or changing your folder name to My Music… if you haven’t tried these steps already. If it still doesn’t work than I am not really sure what else it could be. Good luck!

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #3,810 of 4,126
Did you by chance already try going into the Walkman Player app Settings and selecting either ‘Update Database’ and/or ‘Rebuild Database’? I have to do this everyone now n then, usually after I had the Walkman plugged into the pc. Sometimes the device either won’t see my music or it will see it but won’t play a track and gives an error. It’s usually the ladder. Rebuilding Database always fixes it for me. It may take a while if you have thousands of tracks.
Also for reference, on my SD card I have a main folder simply titled Music. Then inside that folder is a sub folder titled My Music. Inside the My Music folder is where all my tracks are. Maybe try setting it up that way with a main folder and sub folder.. or changing your folder name to My Music… if you haven’t tried these steps already. If it still doesn’t work than I am not really sure what else it could be. Good luck!
Yep. Rebuilt database and I have the same simple folder structure in root of Music. For some reason, the Sony Walkman app just doesn't read where the songs are. The same exact m3u playlist works fine in Poweramp and Musicolet. So, using Poweramp for now. Plus that way I can back up my playlists in case I need to switch devices or restore. Shame, though - I really like the default sony app with the exception of playlist import/backup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back