New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Dec 20, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #3,782 of 4,204
Yes the sensitivity is 100.9 dB / mW SPL.

The output of the NW-A306 is 1.1mw. So, you may be good. 100db+ is pretty loud. 94db is pretty loud as well. Let us know what you think.

Personally I gave up on using the Sony headphone out to power my IEM-Z1R. It works, but isn't as good as Mojo2. I like it with the Shure KSE1200 though.

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #3,783 of 4,204
The output of the NW-A306 is 1.1mw. So, you may be good. 100db+ is pretty loud. 94db is pretty loud as well. Let us know what you think.

Personally I gave up on using the Sony headphone out to power my IEM-Z1R. It works, but isn't as good as Mojo2. I like it with the Shure KSE1200 though.
Thanks for your reply, I’m sure that’s loud enough for me I don’t like listening too loud, already have tinnitus in one ear so have to be careful!

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #3,784 of 4,204
Well... thanks to the great advice on here, I was able to procure a Japanese a306 from Amazon Japan. It shipped to me in less than a week and cost $300 US shipped. Stoked at the sound and coolness of this little gizmo. It sounds great on both my wired IEMs and the XM5s. Happy camper here! Now, to optimize battery life and enjoy. Any tips for a new owner?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #3,785 of 4,204
Guys, my apologies in advance if this question has been asked and answered before. I did my best trying to find an answer using the "Search this thread" function, but I wasn't very successful.

So I've just purchased an A306 to act as an extremely portable, cheaper companion to my WM1A. I'm glad with the form factor and the perceived quality, although it does feel a bit sluggish at times. No big deal to me.

Now, I should be getting to SQ and be happy with it. The problem is that I can't get my PC to "see" the A306 through the file explorer window. For some reason, when I connect the A306 vianthe USB cable the default setting seems to be something like controlling the transfer of files from the player itself. It gives me the option to change to "control by the connected device" but when I select such option, which I assume could be the solution to my problem, I get a error message in the player saying that the change from "player controlled transfer" (excuse my possibly very poor translation of the message; I had the player set to a language other than English) to "controlled by the connected device" (the PC) has failed. And I really can't get past it. So I'm having trouble copying all the music from the WM1A to the A306. Music Center for PC does see the A306, but it's extremely slow transferring songs and, as far as I know, it doesn't allow me to transfer music from one player to the other directly.

Does anyone have any advice on how get this nice little player to be properly recognized by my Windows 10 PC? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #3,786 of 4,204
Guys, my apologies in advance if this question has been asked and answered before. I did my best trying to find an answer using the "Search this thread" function, but I wasn't very successful.

So I've just purchased an A306 to act as an extremely portable, cheaper companion to my WM1A. I'm glad with the form factor and the perceived quality, although it does feel a bit sluggish at times. No big deal to me.

Now, I should be getting to SQ and be happy with it. The problem is that I can't get my PC to "see" the A306 through the file explorer window. For some reason, when I connect the A306 vianthe USB cable the default setting seems to be something like controlling the transfer of files from the player itself. It gives me the option to change to "control by the connected device" but when I select such option, which I assume could be the solution to my problem, I get a error message in the player saying that the change from "player controlled transfer" (excuse my possibly very poor translation of the message; I had the player set to a language other than English) to "controlled by the connected device" (the PC) has failed. And I really can't get past it. So I'm having trouble copying all the music from the WM1A to the A306. Music Center for PC does see the A306, but it's extremely slow transferring songs and, as far as I know, it doesn't allow me to transfer music from one player to the other directly.

Does anyone have any advice on how get this nice little player to be properly recognized by my Windows 10 PC? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Did you go into the USB storage menu on the player and choose file transfer? It should pop up when you connect the cable

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #3,787 of 4,204
I was having a lot of finnicky issues connecting via USB on my Mac using Android File Transfer. It works some time and others not. But I just discovered a really easy, fast, and fluid method for wireless file transfer. I installed Solid Explorer on the NW-A306 and an FTP client (Transmit) on my mac. As long as the Walkman is on the same WIFI network as my computer, I can launch Solid Explorer, click the hamburger menu in the top left corner, scroll down to FTP Client and launch it. Then I can open the walkman as a "server" using the provided FTP address and port (the port is the number after the colon). The walkman pops up as a browser window and it is super fast and easy to delete files, rename, copy, etc. Then I just eject the "server/walkman" and close out both apps and I'm good to roll. I use the walkman app's library refresh after to locate the new tracks. Screenshots attached...

Walkman Screen.png
Mac Screen.jpeg
Syncing.jpeg

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #3,788 of 4,204
I was having a lot of finnicky issues connecting via USB on my Mac using Android File Transfer. It works some time and others not. But I just discovered a really easy, fast, and fluid method for wireless file transfer. I installed Solid Explorer on the NW-A306 and an FTP client (Transmit) on my mac. As long as the Walkman is on the same WIFI network as my computer, I can launch Solid Explorer, click the hamburger menu in the top left corner, scroll down to FTP Client and launch it. Then I can open the walkman as a "server" using the provided FTP address and port (the port is the number after the colon). The walkman pops up as a browser window and it is super fast and easy to delete files, rename, copy, etc. Then I just eject the "server/walkman" and close out both apps and I'm good to roll. I use the walkman app's library refresh after to locate the new tracks. Screenshots attached...

Walkman Screen.pngMac Screen.jpegSyncing.jpeg
It has been reported even in the WM1A/Z M2 thread that usb connection to mac is inconsistent, rebooting the mac seems to work for most.

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #3,789 of 4,204
I do have a problem thou
It has been reported even in the WM1A/Z M2 thread that usb connection to mac is inconsistent, rebooting the mac seems to work for most.
Thanks for the tip. However, now that I have a fast, wireless solution, there's no looking back for me. It's way easier and way more reliable.

I do have an issue though... I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my m3u playlists to show any songs on the Sony. I have them inside my music folder on the SD Card and the Sony Walkman app sees and adds them to the playlist menu, but all show 0 songs. I went into the files and tried multiple path variations in the text of the playlists, but to no avail. Does anyone know the correct path string to get the Sony to pickup the fact that the playlists are in fact pointing to songs on the card?

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #3,790 of 4,204
Well... thanks to the great advice on here, I was able to procure a Japanese a306 from Amazon Japan. It shipped to me in less than a week and cost $300 US shipped. Stoked at the sound and coolness of this little gizmo. It sounds great on both my wired IEMs and the XM5s. Happy camper here! Now, to optimize battery life and enjoy. Any tips for a new owner?
Keep wifi off except when you really need it, set A306 to auto-switch off if startup delay no big deal for you.

Enjoy using in just Direct mode, options just unnecessary tweaks anyway, but big hit on battery.

Unless hi-res Music streaming keep in standard mode, not Hi-fi to again preserve battery. Sony App does bit-perfect either way.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #3,791 of 4,204
Keep wifi off except when you really need it, set A306 to auto-switch off if startup delay no big deal for you.

Enjoy using in just Direct mode, options just unnecessary tweaks anyway, but big hit on battery.

Unless hi-res Music streaming keep in standard mode, not Hi-fi to again preserve battery. Sony App does bit-perfect either way.
Thanks for these!

Dec 22, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #3,792 of 4,204
Dec 22, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #3,793 of 4,204
Dec 22, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #3,795 of 4,204
Haha yeah, same here, i didnt need to pay VAT for some reason, which caught me by a huge surprise.
Its handled by Amazon Japan so duties/fees/postage already in the price (should see breakdown on invoice).

Why you always want one fulfilled by Amazon, irrespective of the seller.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back