New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Nov 8, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #3,721 of 4,126
I purchased it through eBay from a seller in Japan and I live in Canada. I'm assuming there's no warranty in this case?
Unless the seller supports the product, no. Gray market items don't have a warranty in north America.

That being said, you can try to email Sony. Worth a shot.

Nov 10, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #3,723 of 4,126
I'm sorry but this thing is pretty terrible. Bought my first one and it would crash on me...returned that and bought a second one...worked flawlessly for about a week...just now I get a loud pop and no sound. I reset the player and still no sound. So I powered it down and back up, voila sound....although now with a hissing noise from the left channel that wasn't there before. Using Dorado. I factory reset the player and as soon as it starts up the hissing returns. I went through all the Google prompts turned off wifi and updated....still hear the hissing. I love the form factor of this tiny player but back to the Amazon enclaves it goes. If sony can't standardize quality then who will? If anyone has a tip I'll be happy to hear it.

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #3,724 of 4,126
There is but you have to battle for it a little bit. At least try, and if they quote you too much, you will have to take it to a repair store

Update: Sony Canada would only direct me to Sony Japan or send it to the one authorized repair shop in Canada for portable audio.

Sony Japan will not service anything that's coming from outside of Japan.

So I ended up sending it to the service shop and they will open it up and have a look. However apparently they don't have any parts for it from Sony, so if it's anything more than a loose cable I'm out of luck.

What a mess. I hesitate to buy another imported Sony DAP but don't want to be stuck with a capped Canada version either 😞

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #3,725 of 4,126
Update: Sony Canada would only direct me to Sony Japan or send it to the one authorized repair shop in Canada for portable audio.

Sony Japan will not service anything that's coming from outside of Japan.

So I ended up sending it to the service shop and they will open it up and have a look. However apparently they don't have any parts for it from Sony, so if it's anything more than a loose cable I'm out of luck.

What a mess. I hesitate to buy another imported Sony DAP but don't want to be stuck with a capped Canada version either 😞

The capped version isn't nearly as bad as you'd think from reading this thread.

Nov 14, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #3,727 of 4,126
I got my NW 306 a couple of days ago. As an iPhone user, I was looking for a little LDAC-capable device to use it with my ifi GO pods. So far, I am pretty satisfied with that combo, although I definitely have to do some A/B testing with LDAC and aac...

What I noticed is when choosing the LDAC-setting "best quality", there are instantly connection issues, so I have to choose "best effort". Is this more on the go pod`s side, or is it the walkman?

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #3,728 of 4,126
I got my NW 306 a couple of days ago. As an iPhone user, I was looking for a little LDAC-capable device to use it with my ifi GO pods. So far, I am pretty satisfied with that combo, although I definitely have to do some A/B testing with LDAC and aac...

What I noticed is when choosing the LDAC-setting "best quality", there are instantly connection issues, so I have to choose "best effort". Is this more on the go pod`s side, or is it the walkman?
My experience, Walkman. 990 LDAC with my WF-1000XM5'S & BT7 is more stable with my Samsung S23+.

I can also use LDAC660 with S23+ which is rock solid and to me no obvious SQ drop from LDAC990.

For BT, I just use my S23+ as source now and my A307 for wired.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #3,730 of 4,126
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #3,732 of 4,126
I finally pulled the trigger on this and it should be here in a few days.
Any out of the box setting change suggestions for a beginner?
Thanks.
Change the font/screen size to the smallest setting for each - this means you can see more things on the screen at once and navigate a little more easily.

Turn off all the Google services/delete any apps that you don't plan on using.

Dec 6, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #3,733 of 4,126
Turn off WiFi and BT when not using, bit obvious but anyway...

Use Sony app in Direct mode gives you best battery life and bit-perfect and MQA playback for your own files.

Streaming wise I just use Spotify with offline stored tracks and leave WiFi off 99% of time, just to sync now and again plus I leave in standard mode for third party apps with Spotify only being 16/44 playback, giving better battery life again.

I don't use at all with BT (my WF-1000XM5's or BTR7+IEM) as that sounds exactly same to me using my S23+ and much more stable LDAC 660/990 connection than with my A307.

I only use my A307 with wired IEM's for the Sony house sound tuning, with BT it's the tuning of the earphones.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #3,734 of 4,126
Turn off WiFi and BT when not using, bit obvious but anyway...

Use Sony app in Direct mode gives you best battery life and bit-perfect and MQA playback for your own files.

Streaming wise I just use Spotify with offline stored tracks and leave WiFi off 99% of time, just to sync now and again plus I leave in standard mode for third party apps with Spotify only being 16/44 playback, giving better battery life again.

I don't use at all with BT (my WF-1000XM5's or BTR7+IEM) as that sounds exactly same to me using my S23+ and much more stable LDAC 660/990 connection than with my A307.

I only use my A307 with wired IEM's for the Sony house sound tuning, with BT it's the tuning of the earphones.
Just bought the Sony Wf1000Xm5's to go with my 306. What's your preferred settings to get the best out of the DAP with the buds? Cheers Graham

Dec 6, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #3,735 of 4,126
Just bought the Sony Wf1000Xm5's to go with my 306. What's your preferred settings to get the best out of the DAP with the buds? Cheers Graham
I don't use them with A307 for reasons I posted above. When I did try, I only got real stability moving about with WiFi off and LDAC lower level option. Had to be LDAC for me as noticed lower quality audio with the other codes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back