New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 26, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #3,077 of 4,129
I wonder how the Sennheiser IE200 pairs (sounds) with the Sony NW-A306 Walkman? These two would seem to be a nice more affordable pairing. Anyone care to chime in?

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #3,078 of 4,129
Few glamor shots.

Japanese a306 with the new kbear “black blade” cable which I added a “balanced” ground right angle termination/plug to.
Was able to reuse the original kbear sleeve so I didn’t lose any of the cables aesthetic.

Not sure I hear any real sound improvements with dual ground. Others mentioned a slight widening of the stage. Can’t tell if it’s placebo or perhaps just that this cable sounds so damn good. I do notice an improvement over the previous kbear cable I was using with a standard plug. The stage is a bit wider and overall this cable just sounds better, even when I tested before swapping the plug. I’d say the extra ground is probably not doing much. But I like that it’s there.

Mainly I strongly prefer a right angle plug. Safer for the output jack (especially in my pocket) and overall feels more sleek and less wonky.

This is the fat bear case. I’m actually getting a second because I kinda messed up the inside corners on this one. The corners come in just a little too far and push up on the edges of the glass screen protector. So I made little cuts using a razor to fix that. However, I can do a better job cutting it and also before I tried the razor I tried using a lighter to warm the material and just reshape it outta the way of the screen protector, but the material didn’t take well to the heat and curled. So I’m getting a second case to do a better job. Other than that I love the fat bear case. I tried one of the clear “smoke” ones as well and thought it felt cheap and like it wasn’t offering much protection. This thing feels great and the button response is perfect.

Overall loving this setup more than anything I’ve had previously.

Attachments

• 132E92F8-924C-4A1B-8BCB-19ADDD64063E.jpeg
    132E92F8-924C-4A1B-8BCB-19ADDD64063E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • BE209569-5586-42EC-8025-B85D341CFE66.jpeg
    BE209569-5586-42EC-8025-B85D341CFE66.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 3B2DABFF-1F60-4161-BB5E-7679D540E8BA.jpeg
    3B2DABFF-1F60-4161-BB5E-7679D540E8BA.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • C33CEE7E-51FC-4BCF-9785-B7B443051C55.jpeg
    C33CEE7E-51FC-4BCF-9785-B7B443051C55.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • C57C086C-8C3E-4ECD-A517-8867643495FE.jpeg
    C57C086C-8C3E-4ECD-A517-8867643495FE.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • D9A3A4B9-0741-47A9-9FE7-09B988D2E9DC.jpeg
    D9A3A4B9-0741-47A9-9FE7-09B988D2E9DC.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #3,079 of 4,129
new kbear “black blade” cable which I added a “balanced” ground right angle termination/plug to.
This thing looks heavy and uncomfortable.

Others mentioned a slight widening of the stage.
Don't believe everything you read here. People imagine improvements after changing FW, microSD cards, protective cases etc.
Outside of "sound science" subforum, head-fi is full of BS and myths.

Cables (and cases) should be light and comfortable :thumbsup:

sony.jpg

Apr 27, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #3,080 of 4,129

Don't believe everything you read here. People imagine improvements after changing FW, microSD cards, protective cases etc.

sony.jpg
Which case sounds best though?

Apr 27, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #3,081 of 4,129
Yes lots is subjective when it comes to sound. I heard a difference with the 4 pole plug and I've been at this and music for a long time. We can only report what we hear and experience.

That's why I said at the beginning of this 4 pole jack discussion- if you've got balanced cables you can get a cheap 4.4 or 2.5 to 3.5 trrs - 4 pole adapter very cheap. Me and psikey listed 2 models from Amazon. I suggested if someone was curios then order it and try it. If it doesn't seem to change anything then send it back.

In other words try it for yourself 😉 I'm not asking anyone to believe anything, I trust my ears I know it's not imaginary so thats all that matters. It's really not a big deal, easy to try if you're curious if not......

And firmware can change sound, it just happened with the latest update- who would have thought 😳 and tiax- bs isn't exclusive, it's everywhere 😉

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #3,082 of 4,129
Few glamor shots.

Japanese a306 with the new kbear “black blade” cable which I added a “balanced” ground right angle termination/plug to.
Was able to reuse the original kbear sleeve so I didn’t lose any of the cables aesthetic.

Not sure I hear any real sound improvements with dual ground. Others mentioned a slight widening of the stage. Can’t tell if it’s placebo or perhaps just that this cable sounds so damn good. I do notice an improvement over the previous kbear cable I was using with a standard plug. The stage is a bit wider and overall this cable just sounds better, even when I tested before swapping the plug. I’d say the extra ground is probably not doing much. But I like that it’s there.

Mainly I strongly prefer a right angle plug. Safer for the output jack (especially in my pocket) and overall feels more sleek and less wonky.

This is the fat bear case. I’m actually getting a second because I kinda messed up the inside corners on this one. The corners come in just a little too far and push up on the edges of the glass screen protector. So I made little cuts using a razor to fix that. However, I can do a better job cutting it and also before I tried the razor I tried using a lighter to warm the material and just reshape it outta the way of the screen protector, but the material didn’t take well to the heat and curled. So I’m getting a second case to do a better job. Other than that I love the fat bear case. I tried one of the clear “smoke” ones as well and thought it felt cheap and like it wasn’t offering much protection. This thing feels great and the button response is perfect.

Overall loving this setup more than anything I’ve had previously.

You can go on expedition with that setup 😀

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #3,083 of 4,129

Right on! I've recently found that the Sandisk High Endurance microSD card sounds very good. I believe it is the white color of the card that is responsible. The white color is less absorptive of RF, and far infra red, I am guessing. (there may be other reasons also). It definitely sounds better.

I agree with your observation about "light and comfortable" being something to try for. I think this also applies to the clothing of the listener. Light, airy clothes influence your mood, and thus your perception and enjoyment of music. By extension, a nudist would have even greater enjoyment. If anybody has been able to test that, please give us your feedback. Edit: Not sure how to apply a double blind test to this......

I wasn't sure whether your reference to sound science was sarcasm? But whether it is or not, you have a perfect right to take pleasure from it, just like others take pleasure from "good sounding" microSD cards, different Firmwares used as tuning. Wires sounding different. And horrors, even believing in burn in.

But who can say what is abnormal in this irrational world? In today's world, War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength. Orwell was prescient.

To each his own. Find pleasure where you can, and don't let the naysayers affect your enjoyment.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #3,084 of 4,129
Yes lots is subjective when it comes to sound. I heard a difference with the 4 pole plug and I've been at this and music for a long time. We can only report what we hear and experience.

That's why I said at the beginning of this 4 pole jack discussion- if you've got balanced cables you can get a cheap 4.4 or 2.5 to 3.5 trrs - 4 pole adapter very cheap. Me and psikey listed 2 models from Amazon. I suggested if someone was curios then order it and try it. If it doesn't seem to change anything then send it back.

In other words try it for yourself 😉 I'm not asking anyone to believe anything, I trust my ears I know it's not imaginary so thats all that matters. It's really not a big deal, easy to try if you're curious if not......

And firmware can change sound, it just happened with the latest update- who would have thought 😳 and tiax- bs isn't exclusive, it's everywhere 😉
The difference is slight or maybe imagined for me. I've stopped using adapter and stuck with convenience and less bulk with standard 3.5mm cables. For a £10 adapter it was worth a listen.

Don't think I've said wider, just a bit cleaner/clearer to my ears.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #3,085 of 4,129
@Tiax way to be condescending.

This isn’t my first rodeo. Been using in ears for over a decade and I mix and master music and have fairly well trained ears. I was simply reporting my subjective experience. That being… that it made little difference and what was there may be the cable or placebo.

I doubt anyone here needs yet another talking down to about how this or that doesn’t really make a difference and is perception. Time to get some new material as that horse has been beaten to death in literally every thread across this platform.

The cable is not heavy. Actually lighter than the original mest mkii cable that costs 550$ purchased on its own. And lighter than several other cables I own. Cool you can tell weight from a photo. Sounds like a super power.

The case is also lighter than the clear transparent cheapo’s. I’m all about light and robust protection which is why I use Trojan ultra thins.

Anyway, yada yada yada.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #3,086 of 4,129
I wonder how the Sennheiser IE200 pairs (sounds) with the Sony NW-A306 Walkman? These two would seem to be a nice more affordable pairing. Anyone care to chime in?
I originally tried the ie200s with my a306 and really enjoyed the sound! Crisp, clear and detailed! Quite surprised how well they sounded for a small 7mm Dynamic driver! However I did end up moving up to the ie400s only because I wanted a bit more volume and bass and am happy with them very much. I think if I was able to get my hands on the uncapped version with some more volume steps available I would have kept the iE200s. But I also like my music more on the louder side. You may be completely satisfied with volume levels of the 200s. I say try 200s first, if not your liking then return and exchange. Love Amazon for this reason! Good luck and happy listening!

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #3,087 of 4,129

All DD iems I've used have sounded good so I'm sure ie200 would be a good match. I used ie800s with it and it sounded great, same driver different shell/wiring. The left side broke and I've been trying budget single DD and the fiio FD3 was very nice for 100 dollars, but too heavy for my ears. Another option. I've settled on a tiny dd that sounds 90% or more of my previous Beyer xelento and the senn ie800, and frankly I'm not sure my hearing even registers that much- I'm old and have had lots of decibels thrown at my ears. I've bought 3 of them, no detachable cable (no problem with a306) and not as robust but at 40 dollars I was surprised. They are really up there in sound quality but they take some juice to sound the best. I'm going to recommend them to anybody that wants a tiny-light good quality single dd. They are Zero audio carbo tenore.

They're tiny like xelento and ie800. Just throwing that out there if anybody likes smaller iems. But a306 sounds great with dynamics. Oh and I haven't tried any of the other in the ie line because I'm sure that shape would hurt my ears, but they all use a similar 7mm dd.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #3,088 of 4,129
All DD iems I've used have sounded good so I'm sure ie200 would be a good match. I used ie800s with it and it sounded great, same driver different shell/wiring. The left side broke and I've been trying budget single DD and the fiio FD3 was very nice for 100 dollars, but too heavy for my ears. Another option. I've settled on a tiny dd that sounds 90% or more of my previous Beyer xelento and the senn ie800, and frankly I'm not sure my hearing even registers that much- I'm old and have had lots of decibels thrown at my ears. I've bought 3 of them, no detachable cable (no problem with a306) and not as robust but at 40 dollars I was surprised. They are really up there in sound quality but they take some juice to sound the best. I'm going to recommend them to anybody that wants a tiny-light good quality single dd. They are Zero audio carbo tenore.

They're tiny like xelento and ie800. Just throwing that out there if anybody likes smaller iems. But a306 sounds great with dynamics. Oh and I haven't tried any of the other in the ie line because I'm sure that shape would hurt my ears, but they all use a similar 7mm dd.
What really surprised me with the Senn 7mm DD was the bass! Gimme more bass! Love how the bass sounds in both the iE200s and my current go-to monitors ie400s. I dont have a lot of experience with many diff iems brands/styles and was not expecting the base to sound that awesome with such a small 7mm dd. Boy was I wrong and glad I was.

Apr 28, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #3,089 of 4,129
Hello all, if possible, let me know if you're aware of the following information.

1. When downloading audio from Spotify, is it saved to the local storage drive or to the microSD card?

2. Has anyone connected this unit to a car's system via Bluetooth? Is this possible?

Kindly advise. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back