New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 9, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #451 of 4,129
Acording to battery usage stats, 5hrs of Spotify only used 2% 🤔 (offline tracks, wifi/BT off).

Seems to use noticeably less than the A105 I had.

Not done any controlled battery run tests but initial feeling is much better than A105.

Synergy with M9 is amazing. I bet they used the M7/M9 to tune the signature.
It would have to try really hard to be as bad as the 105 🤣

Feb 9, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #452 of 4,129
How long after your initial order did they cancel? Which vendor did you choose? Was it an auction site?
it was rakuten many sellers on there i think

Feb 9, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #453 of 4,129
It was, Sony now seem to have volume cap for new A300 & ZX700 series for US, Canada and Singapore now too.

Check thead, couple of US members already returning and importing from Japan.

Thanks for the info

I'd say yes but you will be at maybe 100/120 volume. But just checked and they are planar which I think need plenty power for other reasons so impedance may not be only consideration.

Reading this they seem different so maybe OK
https://soundnews.net/headphones/full-size/quad-era-1-review-quadruple-fun/#:~:text=Power requirements,headphone this is very unusual.

Power requirements

Quad states that ERA-1 have a sensitivity of 94 dB per one mW of power, it also has a nominal impedance of just 20 Ω, for a planar-magnetic headphone this is very unusual.

All my former planars needed gobs of power and most of the time you would end up be very limited by portable solutions. ERA-1 are very different in this regard.

Even an ordinary portable digital audio player (DAP for short) can drive them, of course for a good speed and control a more powerful one will be needed, especially the ones that provide a balanced connection will sound best with ERA-1.

Both my LCD-X and LCD-2CB are both easy to drive. Not sure about Hifimans but these planars are easy to power.

Feb 10, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #460 of 4,129
After tax return, and additional 7% discounts for using coupon for tourists, I think its a very good price.

Screenshot_20230210-164856.png

Feb 10, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #463 of 4,129
Does the volume cap matter in any way to someone who only listens to audio at 60-70% on an ipod? Listening at 100% was uncomfortable the one time I tried on an ipod.

Totally depends on the ear/headphones you use, how good your hearing is and what volume level you're familiar with.

Give you two examples which is my experience using both capped & uncapped A105, ZX507, WM1AM2 (went straight for Japanese import with A307).

Using 3.5mm SE connections

Shure SE846 8 ohm impedance

These must be one of the easiest IEM's to drive, so sensitive you can kill your ears if not careful when using on a laptop where only about 8/100 is loud enough!

With capped Sony DAP's I found myself needing anywhere between 80-90/120 while with the uncapped DAP's 50-55/120

Sony IER-M9 20 ohm impedance, but considered more demanding to drive

These are rated at 20 ohm but seem to need a bit of power, on capped its 100+/120 while on uncapped 75-85/120

I don't now use/have any headphones, but this leads me to think most IEM's should still be driven loud enough for most people even on the capped version, but many headphones won't be.

I just didn't want to pay more money for a crippled EU/UK (US/Canada/Singapore too with new ones) player when often you can import cheaper anyway and only potential problem is any warranty issue. My experience is resale is easier on imported versions too.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #464 of 4,129
HD650’s Impedance is 300 ohm and I was able to listen at an audible level around 110-120%

Then I'm not sure how impedance impacts volume or you have bat ears :smile: When I had a set of HD660S (150 ohm) the capped ZX507 via its 3.5mm wasn't loud enough for me on max volume (balanced was OK).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back