New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 8, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #406 of 4,127
Now I'm A-Bing between A307 & 1AM2 via 3.5mm with a 24/96 test Album they both are volume matched at 90/120 with my M9's so probably not a 5-step difference.

The upgraded 3.5mm connector on the A307 is noticeably better than what I remember on the A105/ZX507. Nice strong hold and good click in place.

I'd say A307 sounds slightly brighter than my WM1AM2 which is a bit cosier. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the audio coming out of the A307!

Maybe new toy syndrome but I think the mids are clearer on the A307 and preferring at the moment :scream: :thinking:

Seems to have opened up a bit more sound stage too after couple hours of playing. WM1AM2 is certainly warmer.

OMG, Charles Lloyd - Manhattan Stories - How Can I Tell You 44/24 sounds superb, why did I buy a WM1AM2 :smile: :rolling_eyes:

I'm sure those with Golden ears can highlight the A307 weakness vs WM1AM2 but both sounding great to me.
Not got onto trying streaming yet, but currently have Spotify and Amazon HD Music.

Yes it has tons of treble energy! Now I have to wait for my uncapped one.

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #407 of 4,127
I do like a warmer sound i think it will open up a bit more after a period of use, will add vinyl processor to get a bit more warmth to the sound when i get mine ....Looking good though if you say it sounds just as good as the A105 or even better i will be well pleased !!

What streaming services are you using?..i will use apple music and Spotify plus my music files

Even though it doesn't have big caps like the $$ sonys I do think it will settle down a bit after some hours. If anything you will get used to the sound:) And it definitely sounds as good as the a105. Battery life is really nice and its faster. Win win.

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #408 of 4,127
I never had the official case when I had the A105. Its a very nice case IMO.

Flip case is very nice, luxurious even.Enjoy the little beast. This is what the a105 should have been. Lesson is don't cheap out on your cp. Silly about the cap too as you can blow your eardrums out with BT headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #409 of 4,127
Flip case is very nice, luxurious even.Enjoy the little beast. This is what the a105 should have been. Lesson is don't cheap out on your cp. Silly about the cap too as you can blow your eardrums out with BT headphones.
So it looks like the official case for the A105 fits the new A306 ..looking for one now

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #411 of 4,127
I am on holiday in Tokyo and was planned to buy ZX707. After I try the A300, I want to change my mind. A300 sounds so good and makes ZX707 in a difficult position for me. IMO, A300's tuning is better for pop than ZX707, its mids and bass are more presentable. I have a Hiby RS2, I think it has the same SQ as the ZX707. There is no reason for me to buy a similar level dap too. On the hand, i found the wm1am2 is good enough to justify its SQ, but its a bit heavy to me. I mostly end up buying A300 anyway.

Screenshot_20230208-223129.png
For ZX707 have you used balanced or SE?

Feb 8, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #413 of 4,127
I can't use IEMs and don't want an external amp, so I'm nervous about the A306's output power. (Yes, even the non-capped version.) What level of performance is possible with easy-to-drive headphones like the German Maestro GMP 8.35 or the B&O H6?
Add to that the seemingly wrong published specs (1.1mw into 32 ohms).

Feb 8, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #415 of 4,127
So, been listening with my 8 ohm Shure SE846's for a while and background not dead silent so those with really sensitive ears & IEM's may not like. Once music playing, seems mostly fine unless classical with extend quiet sections. No such issue with higher impedence such as my Fiio DF7 and Sony M9's.

Feb 8, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #416 of 4,127
I've never used a DAP as a DAC for my PC (BTR5/DFC yes).

If I plug USB into PC a popup gives me option to set as USB DAC and the PC then shows it as the Walkman output device, but if I play anything on PC I don't hear anything via the earphones plugged into the A307. Am I supposed to ?
Some DAPs have the capability of being used a USB DAC/amp. On the ZX300 you need to put it in USB dac mode before you plug it in.

Feb 8, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #417 of 4,127
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe these specs refer to the capped, power-limited version. I'd never even consider using headphones with such a crippled device.
The specs apparently are for all versions except the Japanese market. Apparently “US spec” devices are capped. It’s safe to assume all North American devices will be capped.

My plan is to use it 90% with the Solitaire T BT headphone and 10% digital transport to Mojo 2.
I agree that with such a crazy low power output, I wouldn’t expect much from anything but the most sensitive iems.

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #418 of 4,127
The specs apparently are for all versions except the Japanese market. Apparently “US spec” devices are capped. It’s safe to assume all North American devices will be capped.

My plan is to use it 90% with the Solitaire T BT headphone and 10% digital transport to Mojo 2.
I agree that with such a crazy low power output, I wouldn’t expect much from anything but the most sensitive iems.

Only units that are capped are US, Canada, Singapore, and EU. All others are uncapped.

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #419 of 4,127
Only units that are capped are US, Canada, Singapore, and EU. All others are uncapped.
So, North America and EU.

Does Singapore have volume restrictions? Seems odd they are left out in the Asian market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back