New Sony portable headphone - the MDR-ZX750!
Dec 9, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #46 of 57
The first thing I did when I took them out of the box was to switch to high quality mode as indicated here: http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/zx750bn/v1/en/contents/04/01/06/06.html

With that being said, aptX is not supported by iPhones anyway so I would not benefit much from that, aside from AAC I guess.

I did do a quick listen to them at a local Sony Store with the stock pads before mine arrived, and I do recall the bass having more presence. The V6 pads pretty much take nearly all the bass away. 

I didn't bother trying the other modes aside from the high quality mode, however when I was plugged in to my ODAC, I still had NC running. It certainly did sound better plugged in that it sounded when it was wirelessly connected to my iPhone, everything just seemed much more coherent and detailed. 

Definitely not worth $199 or whatever the original MSRP was, my local Sony Store had them for $149, still meh but doable, but for $60 I simply could not turn these down. They are refurbished, but I don't remember the last time I bought Sony headphones/IEMs that weren't refurbished, I've never had any issues with any of their refurbished audio gear. 

The sound these make with the V6 extra thick pads is almost like a more fun and more V-shaped 7506/V6 sound. Nothing like the ZX700s though, which I actually didn't like too much as I feel the S500s have a much superior sound over the ZX700s. 

My MBPr15 does support aptX though, but to be honest I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference in SQ when it's wirelessly connected to my iPhone which supports AAC. Most of the files on my iPhone are 320kbps anyway, since none of the portable DACs support the Lightning connection I didn't see a point in putting on a lot of higher bitrate stuff, though I do have a couple ALACs floating around somewhere in my music library in my phone...

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #47 of 57
I have those for more than month and I'm very satisfied with. I bought Auray Extra Deep Earpads and with them it's really pleasant for long listening. Noise cancellation is not as good as Bose Q15 but I like Sony's sound more. With all other features, definitely the best buy.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #48 of 57
Got these a few days ago.

Replacing the earpads with V6 replacement pads (I used the Auray Extra Deep Earpads) certainly made them super comfortable. Unfortunately, they also made the active noise cancelling noticeable less effective. For this reason I went back to using the stock earpads.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #49 of 57
Thanks for the feedback on the ANC. Anyone else with the replacement pads (either the regular V6 or the Auray extra deep) care to comment on degradation of ANC compared to stock? Thanks for any input.

May 1, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #50 of 57
  Thanks for the feedback on the ANC. Anyone else with the replacement pads (either the regular V6 or the Auray extra deep) care to comment on degradation of ANC compared to stock? Thanks for any input.

Since I never actually listened to these with the stock pads, I decided to put the stock pads back on. There are pros and cons however.

First off, the ANC is much much much better with the stock pads, much more noise is cancelled either due to the dimensions of the stock pads or how the ear is positioned closer to the diaphragm, Either way, much better especially on the bus and train.

However, the sound quality takes a nosedive, with the bass becoming bloated and bleeding into the mids, treble rolling off quite a bit in the high range making the overall treble lose sparkle, and the soundstage becomes significantly narrower. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #52 of 57
Can confirm Akinari and Zeljko's comments. Stock pads better for ANC, but don't sound as good and not as comfortable. Having said that, I thought the ANC with the extra deep pads was good enough, and it's so damned comfortable that I don't mind hearing more background noise.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #53 of 57
As you may noticed, Sony released improved version, MDR-ZX770BN/B. Maybe they took idea from here and made over the ear :)

I'm just listening them. Headphones are much more comfortable. Ear pads are even bigger than Auray Extra Deep Earpads but less deep. Features are the same. Design is better. As "mod" is official, looks like that sound is better or let's say that bass sounds like 750 with originally ear pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back