SONY NW-ZX500
Mar 26, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #7,037 of 8,639
Sooo, what's the method to go from Chinese to International when on the latest version? I have an international version ZX507, flashed 4.02 Chinese and now want to go back to international version. Am I stuck until the next update comes out?

I've just taken my ZX507 from 4.02 Chinese back to 4.02 international so not sure why you were told it's not possible.

Download the 4.02 International, copy it to the root internal memory. Put into airplane mode, and click the system update. It should (if it's like mine) find the update and proceed to flash.

Did mine last night and it works fine. Needed to do mine because I am selling it.

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #7,038 of 8,639
because I am selling it.

20210326_092856.jpg

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #7,039 of 8,639
Yeah, I mentioned upthread that it was reported it is possible to "side-grade" FROM Chinese firmware to any other (with Play Store), but it appears it is NOT possible to side-grade TO Chinese firmware from another version. I know I never could when I was running International and actually wanted to go to Chinese back in December; I had to wait until the first v.4.x version was released.

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #7,043 of 8,639
I need to spend more time before I say with certainty that the W2 sounds better, testing last night appeared that way but I'd like to try more genres and different IEMs etc. It could be a case of different rather than better!

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #7,044 of 8,639
Yeesh, not a good session with UAPP earlier today. I queued up several albums from the same artist, pressed play and went on with doing some work. An hour later, I remove my ZX507 from a case I wear on a belt (a case I've used for months with zero over-heating issues, in case anyone wonders) to find it incredibly hot to the touch (never anything approaching this kind of heat before) and to find I had burned through 26% battery in that hour

I shut down UAPP and let the device cool down over the next 30 minutes, then switched to Walkman music app for an hour before shutting off for the day. Even that last hour used up ~9% of battery, which is about 3% more than previously experienced on thsi firmware with Walkman music app.

EDIT: not sure if relevant, but I run with wifi <Off> as I don't stream. UAPP didn't like this when I first opened the app and tried to play an album (got a message about UAPP not able to connect to network to verify license, I think). Anyway, I shut down UAPP, turned on wifi & re-opened UAPP with wifi on for a few minutes, then turned wifi off and proceeded as above.
O.K., I continue to post about my experiences with UAPP on the off chance it helps someone down the road...

Same usage of my ZX5-7 as always (wifi <off>); booted up, launched UAPP, added several albums to the playback queue & pressed play on first album. Zero issues; no message pop-up about invalid license (or whatever); been running for ~ 70 minutes now, zero heat issues; battery life in line with previous experience of ~10.5% per hour. <shrug> No clue what caused the severe over-heating & massive battery drain yesterday.

EDIT: also, using the same case as always

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #7,045 of 8,639
I've just taken my ZX507 from 4.02 Chinese back to 4.02 international so not sure why you were told it's not possible.

Download the 4.02 International, copy it to the root internal memory. Put into airplane mode, and click the system update. It should (if it's like mine) find the update and proceed to flash.

Did mine last night and it works fine. Needed to do mine because I am selling it.
Airplane mode is the key. I had copied it to the internal memory, tried the update and it wouldn't go. Enabled airplane mode, per your suggestion and she's headed back to international waters.

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #7,047 of 8,639
is it worth upgrading to new firmware guys i like my sony warm sound
It is not worth upgrading. Keep your current firmware. The new firmware has really reduced the bass and also made the overall sound signature very noticibly more brighter than before.

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #7,048 of 8,639
This new firmware sound signature is not just limited to S-master hx output but also affects how Bluetooth output sounds. Using the WF-1000XM3, I felt that the bass has less slam and impact than before, taking on a much softer and more background like boomy bass.

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #7,049 of 8,639
This new firmware sound signature is not just limited to S-master hx output but also affects how Bluetooth output sounds. Using the WF-1000XM3, I felt that the bass has less slam and impact than before, taking on a much softer and more background like boomy bass.
You sure your human with ears and not an AI with audio analysis equipment?

Sounds no different to me. Boy, I'm glad my ears/brain arn't super sensitive.

Mar 27, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #7,050 of 8,639
@Sonywalkmanuser I don’t know the reason, but with the new firmware, I find that the IER-M9 sounds better than the IER-Z1R on the ZX507 now. My settings are:
High Res Streaming : On
High Gain
Direct Off; but all other DSP off too.

I have been playing a lot of music through the IER-Z1R with an L&P W2 DAC, which is 230mW @ 32 Ohms. When I went back to the ZX507 I was underwhelmed with the ZX507.

Since the ZX507 balanced is 200mW, but at 16 Ohms (so around 100mW at 32 Ohms) this is a lot less power that I’m used to through the Z1R. The Z1R are 40 Ohms; the M9 are 20 Ohms. So I decided to pair the ZX507 with the M9. The ZX507 really has opened up on the M9s with this firmware. Great synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back