SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 5, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #6,211 of 8,639
Just been to pick up some Sennheiser Momentum True 2's.

Paired to my 507, felt a bit faffy and clunky. Low-res music sounded okish, hi-res sounded awful.

Did a FW upgrade just to make sure; back in the box ready to go back.

Lesson learnt; don't compare my IEM-Z1R with Momentum True buds. Haha. Oops. Back to the drawing board with a wireless solution. I'm really doubting it even exists.

I might just change the goal posts and get a second pair of IEM's. I wear glasses and I hate the feeling of the arms getting pushed into my head otherwise I'd go over ears.

Fun little adventure.

Dec 5, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #6,212 of 8,639
if u use screen all time, switching tracks, albums, etc, it will not last 3h.

Good morning, my first post... I have been following this forum for long time and learning from all of you.

For all that I had read the Sony NW-ZX500 has the same battery problem as the Sony NW-A106 which is the one that I own. Will a fast SDXC card help with the battery problem?

Thank you!

Dec 5, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #6,213 of 8,639
I think you nailed it. I was going a bit crazy trying to understand why the battery on the NZ507 was running so short. I was thinking my player was broken or something. So last night I ran a different test. I fully charged the player and turned off all processing options and left it overnight. The player has been playing for about 9 hours and it still has 50% battery so one (or more) of the sound processing features seems to be eating the battery quickly.

As I am doing the burn in of the player, I will test tonight the battery just enabling DSEE ULTIMATE. I want to try out all the different sound processing options to test which ones are battery killers

Just for reference I had already streamlined the android configuration using the instructions in this forum, I do use Spotify, but mostly offline so I keep wifi/bt/nfc off most of the time. Also use audiobooks but again all downloaded to the player.

I don’t use any of the sound processing options and I get good battery life. To me, they all sound artificial. Only tweaks I make are via EQ and once in a while I’ll put on pure sound mode. Still on FW 2.0

Dec 5, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #6,214 of 8,639
Good morning, my first post... I have been following this forum for long time and learning from all of you.

For all that I had read the Sony NW-ZX500 has the same battery problem as the Sony NW-A106 which is the one that I own. Will a fast SDXC card help with the battery problem?

Thank you!
problem?
upsampling consume a lot of battery.
otherwise it's ok.
card? i use 512 gb samsung card

Dec 5, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #6,215 of 8,639

Thank you!

Hello and welcome!

It's not really a battery problem, it just is what it is. A faster SD card won't help, at least not enough that it matters. You can optimize the settings to get the most out of it. Having a full Android player has benefits but it also means the battery will suffer from it quite much.

Look at the Hiby R8, a truly specs monster with a 10kmah battery! Still 9-12h of play time on regular usage... I haven't seen anything running Android 9, even the latest and greatest releases, no matter the battery size of how powerfful the player is that last considerably longer than the ZX507.

Buy this, I got it and it charges the ZX507 super quick and holds like 3-4 full charges: https://shop.aukey.com/collections/...nk-with-18w-power-delivery-and-quick-charge-3

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #6,216 of 8,639
Hello and welcome!

It's not really a battery problem, it just is what it is. A faster SD card won't help, at least not enough that it matters. You can optimize the settings to get the most out of it. Having a full Android player has benefits but it also means the battery will suffer from it quite much.

Look at the Hiby R8, a truly specs monster with a 10kmah battery! Still 9-12h of play time on regular usage... I haven't seen anything running Android 9, even the latest and greatest releases, no matter the battery size of how powerfful the player is that last considerably longer than the ZX507.

Buy this, I got it and it charges the ZX507 super quick and holds like 3-4 full charges: https://shop.aukey.com/collections/...nk-with-18w-power-delivery-and-quick-charge-3
what do u mean "it holds like 3-4 full charges"?

Thank you!
i advise u not to use 1A + chargers on regular basis with zx507 or similar under 2000 mA/h batteries.
as I know, fast chargers harm small batteries.
u still can use 2 Amp charger, however don't use it to charge over 80% mark to prolong battery life cycles

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #6,217 of 8,639
Fw 4.0:

I can confirm that 360 reality audio effect applies to Walkman app stereo music file playback with Sony WF-1000XM3 true wireless. You have to use the headphone app and upload your ear photo profile to Sony for the 360 reality effect to work. Walkman app stereo Music playback feels more 3D like afterwards. Seems like the 360 reality audio is system wide and not just limited to 360 reality audio apps/content.

Maybe even for Sony branded Wired iems and headphones, 360 reality effect should work. This requires further testing.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #6,218 of 8,639
Fw 4.0:

I can confirm that 360 reality audio effect applies to Walkman app stereo playback music with Sony WF-1000XM3 true wireless. You have to use the headphone app and upload your ear photo profile to Sony for the 360 reality effect to work. Walkman app stereo Music playback feels more 3D like afterwards. Seems like the 360 reality audio is system wide and not just limited to 360 reality audio apps/content.

Maybe even for Wired iems and headphones, 360 reality effect should work. This requires further testing.

That is ridiculous, as 360 Reality Audio doesn't work like that. Install Tidal and try out some 360RA tracks there to hear the difference (there is a separate section in the app for those tracks).

Also. in 360 Reality Audio, there are objects inside a 3D sphere. Each instrument/sound effect/voice/etc. is assigned to one of these objects by the mastering engineer, and then the objects' position inside that sphere can be moved anywhere in that sphere.

So you can't take the normal FLAC/MP3/etc. and make it 360 Reality Audio, lol. That is being done by the mastering engineer for each song, manually.

The format has been built using the open MPEG-H 3D Audio standard, which itself has been optimised for music streaming. It supports up to 64 speaker channels and allows audio coding to be done in different ways.

Engineers can map out and place everything including vocals, individual instruments and a live audience in any position inside a 360 spherical space. Different parameters can be altered for various elements, including distances and angles.

Feel free to give it a read here: https://www.whathifi.com/advice/sony-360-reality-audio-everything-you-need-to-know

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #6,219 of 8,639
For those with Sony branded Bluetooth devices, go upload your ear photo profile and listen to the new 360 reality sound engine just using the Walkman app with your regular stereo music files. Even youtube has a 3D like effect after you upload your ear profile.

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #6,220 of 8,639
A track must be made by a mastering engineer in the 360RA format.

360RA doesn't convert a song into surround or whatever it is being implied here.

1607206015935.png

It's exactly like this. You are in the middle of the sphere, and the smaller bubbles are objects, which can be moved around anywhere in the sphere.

Mastering engineers are assigning different parts of the track to different objects, the aim being to create a live experience.

Just think about it, if 360RA was just converting songs automatically, why would not all the music be available in this format? This is because, again, each song has to be remastered manually for this format, by someone.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #6,221 of 8,639
Fw 4.0:

I can confirm that 360 reality audio effect applies to Walkman app stereo music file playback with Sony WF-1000XM3 true wireless. You have to use the headphone app and upload your ear photo profile to Sony for the 360 reality effect to work. Walkman app stereo Music playback feels more 3D like afterwards. Seems like the 360 reality audio is system wide and not just limited to 360 reality audio apps/content.

Maybe even for Sony branded Wired iems and headphones, 360 reality effect should work. This requires further testing.

I don't think you need the app for the 360 reality effect if you have the over-ear sized SONY headphone like MDR-Z7 or MDR-Z1R. Even I use the MDR-Z7 on the older SONY Walkman NWZ A-17. It turns it into 360 reality effect. I don't feel the same with my older SONY MDR-1A. At first you might not able to understand the 3D effect and you might feel very strange in a isolated place, because the sound comes all over the places and angles hit your ears. As soon as your brain get used to it, it becomes very nature and understand you were trapped in a 2D world before.

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #6,222 of 8,639
I don't think you need the app for the 360 reality effect if you have the over-ear sized SONY headphone like MDR-Z7 or MDR-Z1R. Even I use the MDR-Z7 on the older SONY Walkman NWZ A-17. It turns it into 360 reality effect. I don't feel the same with my older SONY MDR-1A. At first you might not able to understand the 3D effect and you might feel very strange in a isolated place, because the sound comes all over the places and angles hit your ears. As soon as your brain get used to it, it becomes very nature and understand you were trapped in a 2D world before.

Lol, just have a read to see how it actually works. You can only find 360RA tracks on Tidal, Deezer, and maybe Amazon Music. The thing consists of special-made tracks played through an app, it's not a converting kind of thing.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/sony-360-reality-audio-everything-you-need-to-know

It's even mentioned on the 360RA Sony's page, by Sony, if you don't believe me or the article I linked.

1607207473009.png

https://www.sony.com/electronics/360-reality-audio

What is 360 Reality Audio?
360 Reality Audio is a new music experience that uses Sony's object-based spatial audio technology.

Individual sounds such as vocals, chorus, piano, guitar, bass and even sounds of the live audience can be placed in a 360 spherical sound field, giving artists and creators a new way to express their creativity. Listeners can be immersed in a field of sound exactly as intended by artists and creators.

Music content created in this new format for 360 Reality Audio can be enjoyed through compatible music streaming service smartphone app.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #6,223 of 8,639
Fw 4.0:

I chose the wired IER-Z1R profile to use with my UM MEST and the sound is beautiful. The MEST already had a 3D effect due to the additional bone conductor driver that vibrates through your bones directly to your inner ear. 360 audio just elevated this IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #6,224 of 8,639
@DJ Core
Firmware 4.0 has significantly increased sub-bass, it has alot more slam than before.

Treble has so much more sparkle and splash. Now treble has higher level of sharpness but this sharpness is well tempered. It shows just a hint of glare before disappearing, never overstaying it's welcome.

Combine DSEE Ultimate with High Res Streaming and 360 reality audio ear profile setup. I do think that with firmware 4.0, Sony audio engineers made ZX507 into a 3D spacial audio beast. Even with normal Stereo music content, music is transformed into a realistic 3D soundscape, it is very well layered with plenty of added spatial cues, much more enveloping than fw3.0. Balanced 1AM2 no longer sound closed in, soundstage width issue is now removed away by ZX507 3D positional audio.

The only downside is enabling DSEE Ultimate slows down the UI significantly. But I guess that's acceptable given that DSEE Ultimate is doing alot more sound processing now. Battery life is cut by half but the beautiful 3D sound with DSEE is worth the drop in my opinion.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #6,225 of 8,639
@DJ Core
Firmware 4.0 has significantly increased sub-bass, it has alot more slam than before.

Treble has so much more sparkle and splash. Now treble has higher level of sharpness but this sharpness is well tempered. It shows just a hint of glare before disappearing, never overstaying it's welcome.

Combine DSEE Ultimate with High Res Streaming and 360 reality audio ear profile setup. I do think that with firmware 4.0, Sony audio engineers made ZX507 into a 3D spacial audio beast. Even with normal Stereo music content, music is transformed into a realistic 3D soundscape, it is very well layered with plenty of added spatial cues, much more enveloping than fw3.0. Balanced 1AM2 no longer sound closed in, soundstage width issue is now removed away by ZX507 3D positional audio.

The only downside is enabling DSEE Ultimate slows down the UI significantly. But I guess that's acceptable given that DSEE Ultimate is doing alot more sound processing now. Battery life is cut by half but the beautiful 3D sound with DSEE is worth the drop in my opinion.
Yes i noticed the bass, treble and other sound improvements as well...I get slightly more bass in direct mode vs DSEE Ultimate. Ultimate does increase the size of 360 3D field though. Mine sounds even much wider than stock since I changed the 4.4 wires from the 4 sony capacitors to silver plated high purity copper aka DH Labs Silver Sonic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back