SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 8, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #541 of 8,639
Hi everyone,

As the owner of a ZX300, initially the ZX500 did not seem like anything special nor a reason to upgrade. For one, because I don't use streaming and in addition to that, I've no qualms using the Walkman port.

But on Sony's specs (official website), I see that the ZX500 has 50 mw output power on SE, and a baffling 200 mw on the balanced port. Whereas the ZX300 should only have 1.6-4.2 mw on each port.

I'm not so technically versed in audio, but I do wonder if this is as big of a deal as it appears to me. I know it might drive higher impedance headphones where other DAPs on their own will not. But for the MDR-Z1R, that possess a low impedance of 64 ohm if not mistaken, would this make a big difference or will it depend more on the processing and circuit?

I know that, at IFA Sony presented the ZX500 in combination with the MDR-Z1R. Were they making a statement with this, perhaps?
I doubt either of the said will drive high impedance headphones it's just how Sony make their daps ....they don't like comprising on battery life too much

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #542 of 8,639
I doubt either of the said will drive high impedance headphones it's just how Sony make their daps ....they don't like comprising on battery life too much
The ZX300 drove my 150 ohm Sen HD660S fine over balanced so ZX500 will.

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #549 of 8,639
Odd, very contrary to my experience. I've tested the Senns 800S on both outputs and the balanced were winning, but not by much.

It does need the burn-in , I feel the balanced needed less burn in. perhaps that contributed to your assessment

You might be right about the Senns or bigger cans, i was talking about iems, imo not the dap for feeding serious cans anyway.
Burnin very real here, true

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #551 of 8,639
I actually meant the Sennheiser IE 800s here :)
Oh, my bad, apologies, i had those, but don't remember trying them with the ZX300.
Generally, the Sony daps have big leap from 3.5 to balanced, not like LPGT where it's as good

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #552 of 8,639
Oh, my bad, apologies, i had those, but don't remember trying them with the ZX300.
Generally, the Sony daps have big leap from 3.5 to balanced, not like LPGT where it's as good
Yes, many people seem to feel that way for sure. Hence, why I was so eager to finally have an Iem that came with both se and 4.4 cables. But alas, while I do hear more punch and bigger soundstage with 4.4, it's not decisive for me.

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #553 of 8,639
Yes, many people seem to feel that way for sure. Hence, why I was so eager to finally have an Iem that came with both se and 4.4 cables. But alas, while I do hear more punch and bigger soundstage with 4.4, it's not decisive for me.
Completely understandable,3.5 still sounds more natural to me too

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #555 of 8,639
Anyone who's been using the ZX507 yet? I am trying to figure out whether to get this or the A100TPS, so any thought on how this device performs would be appreciated.

The A100 sounded to me as bad as the A55. Grainy sound, not many details, same bass and treble roll-off. They are pretty little devices, but if you care about SQ, I suggest to go for ZX500. Clarity and lots of detail is definitely there. After burn-in the ZX500 sounds closer to WM1A than to the good old ZX300. ZX500 sounds like a 2019 Sony winner,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back