SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 21, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #1,366 of 8,639
I find the processing power more than sufficient to cast vids direct to my SONY TV or via Chromecast (using LocalCast or iMediaplayer). Also sufficient for my Slingplayer.

I don't know about any other app, I am saying specifically about Qobuz, offline library in Qobuz is so slow to load.

Dec 21, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #1,367 of 8,639
Apologies if this was mentioned earlier but for those interested, the ZX500 has appeared on the Sony Canada and Sony US websites, so a release is coming real soon by the looks of it, most likely after CES. Great for those who do not wish to import.

https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2019/12/new-sony-walkmans-show-up-on-sony-us.html

Canadian price for ZX is $1,099, no price for the US yet.

Edit, I will not be dragging the NW-A100 back up, but the NW-A100 is also being released in North America. $479 CAD, no US price yet.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #1,370 of 8,639
Been eyeing the zx507, any comparisons with the Hiby R6 pro? Or thoughts paired with ier-z1r.
R6 Pro to my ears sounded brighter, more lifted in the upper mids/treble, and less warm in the lower mids. Soundstage-wise it felt larger, and more transparent with the R6 Pro. And vocals are slightly more forward, with better separation between instruments due to its leaner note size. Also felt a little higher in resolution and imaging. But the ZX507 sounded more balanced overall, and slightly warmer, and more meaty and weightier in the lower end. Some earphones may sound too forward in the main instrument/vocals with the R6 Pro.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #1,371 of 8,639
Could anybody please share their experience with battery life with this player? I don't think I'm going to use the online functionality (not sure yet) so I was considering the
NW-WM1A as an alternative and also for its long battery life. I normally use a pair of IER-Z1R earphones. Thank you.

Dec 22, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #1,372 of 8,639
Could anybody please share their experience with battery life with this player? I don't think I'm going to use the online functionality (not sure yet) so I was considering the
NW-WM1A as an alternative and also for its long battery life. I normally use a pair of IER-Z1R earphones. Thank you.

This player will have a average battery life for a DAP if you play music offline, the battery start draining faster when you turn on wifi.

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #1,375 of 8,639
Just sdcard mixed flac and aac files and using iems.
This is continuously playback without turning on screen or changing/skipping tracks. Wifi and Bluetooth off

It's about 18hours to 20hours with dsp off

About 14-15hours with dsp on

If you use high gain with 300ohm headphones then it drains faster.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,376 of 8,639
Just sdcard mixed flac and aac files and using iems.
This is continuously playback without turning on screen or changing/skipping tracks. Wifi and Bluetooth off

It's about 18hours to 20hours with dsp off

About 14-15hours with dsp on

If you use high gain with 300ohm headphones then it drains faster.

someone asked you some posts back if you work for SONY , he never got an answer

seeing your uber-positive battery post here (20 hours) , i assume you are indeed a SONY employee

have a nice day

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,377 of 8,639
before you guys invest at least 200hrs of your time burning in your new toy, do you actually spend some considerable time before that to familiarise yourself with the original sound signature fresh out of the box? otherwise how will you remember how exactly the sound has changed 200hrs later?

also, can you actually remember what has changed after 200hrs? personally my aural memory is poor and that is why I just listen as I burn in for the 200hrs.

I did. When fresh out of the box, I used the famous song "Last Christmas" of WHAM! to test. In the first few hours my ZX507 produced strong bass but the texture of it was linear and the punch was shallow. The mid and high already shined but the whole sound signature was kind of tight and a bit hollow. I am familiar with this sound signature because it is like my previous ZX2 and ZX300 when fresh out of the box.

Now it has been burned in for about 75 hours. When listening to the same song, the bass has grown and produces powerful punch and the whole sound signature has become "thicken" and coherent. I expect more to come after 120 hours (I remember 120 hours was the time mark for my previous ZX300, which the bass suddenly unleashed and the bass punch was extremely powerful).

Dec 22, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #1,378 of 8,639
Using Poweramp, playing a mix of flac and mp3s, I get 10 to 11 hours, depending on how much screen time I have. I haven't noticed a power drain difference between using the balanced and standard ports, but that's probably due to my IEMs not being hard to drive.

Dec 22, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #1,379 of 8,639
firmware 1.01
screen off, wifi connected, music stopped, all background data stopped, stand by for 8 hrs, juz 2% battery dropped
wifi off, screen off, play flac for 1hr on walkman app with ue tf10pro at vol 70, juz 8% batt drop
i think battery is awesome among android daps

Dec 22, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #1,380 of 8,639
firmware 1.01
screen off, wifi connected, music stopped, all background data stopped, stand by for 8 hrs, juz 2% battery dropped
wifi off, screen off, play flac for 1hr on walkman app with ue tf10pro at vol 70, juz 8% batt drop
i think battery is awesome among android daps

I know it might sound obvious, but how do I stop background data? I am a heavy ios user :) I have only this DAP and daughters tablet with Android :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back