SONY NW-ZX500
Mar 28, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #7,051 of 8,639
@Gus141

I believe that it is due to the new firmware focus on soundstage and fine sound imaging. I think this time Sony wanted to make the ZX507/A105 to perform better with its 360RA contents. And the IER-M9 with its strong fine sound reproduction and imaging synergies with this new firmware’s sound signature. Soundstage height and space sound reflections seems to be showing up a lot more with this firmware.

I think I might try experimenting again with Sony’s original iem tips.

Mar 28, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #7,053 of 8,639
Any UAPP users in here, an update was pushed out for our devices yesterday. According to release notes, severe battery drain was one of the issues addressed. I won't be able to use my ZX507 again until tomorrow, most likely, but I hope the severe battery drain is gone for good.

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #7,054 of 8,639
with this new firmware focus on softer boomier subbass, to me the IER-M9 sounded best with the included Sony Triple Comfort iem tips. DC Phase Linearizer Type B Low also seems to work well together.

Final audio E-type tips isn’t as great synergy as the new firmware has a lot more clarity now.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #7,055 of 8,639
... to me the IER-M9 sounded best with the included Sony Triple Comfort iem tips.
I agree. I went back to original Triple Comfort tips a couple of months ago for better noise isolation, and with this firmware, the sound is the best I have heard the M9 on the Zx507.

I will try DC Phase Linearizer Type B Low. My general rules however have been:
Use Type A for Balanced Armature IEMs
Use Type B for Dynamic Driver IEM/Headphones.
And I always use Low for emphasis on sub-bass if I use DC Phase Linearizer; but lately I have preferred not using it.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #7,056 of 8,639
Any UAPP users in here, an update was pushed out for our devices yesterday. According to release notes, severe battery drain was one of the issues addressed. I won't be able to use my ZX507 again until tomorrow, most likely, but I hope the severe battery drain is gone for good.
My use case for UAPP has always used up my battery quickly: streaming TIDAL and Qobuz and using the screen a lot to browse. So my battery drain has always been high with UAPP and I didn’t really expect anything better. But I can say with this UAPP update the ZX507 has not gotten hot while using UAPP for 2 hours straight tonight so far. So maybe your battery usage will improve with your local-file/no-streaming playback use case.

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #7,057 of 8,639
I find that using biggest sized triple comfort tips on the IER-M9 makes for a warmer sound signature, bass feels deeper and sharp treble energy is reduced. Also soundstaging feels wider. I think if the biggest sized fits your ears do give it a try or find the bigger size tips that you can wear.

With the above triple comfort tips on the IER-M9 in balanced connection, high gain, hi res streaming On. I felt that the optimal volume is between 68 to 75.

There are two settings which I felt sound good:

direct off and all dsp off: transients felt strongest and most immediate with this setting.

Dc Phase Linearizer Type B Low, DSEE Ultimate: more distant sounding with airier sound staging and a deeper sub-bass.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #7,059 of 8,639
It is not worth upgrading. Keep your current firmware. The new firmware has really reduced the bass and also made the overall sound signature very noticibly more brighter than before.

I don't think it's brighter, it's the reduced bass bloat side effect which lets you hear the rest of the frequencies much better. I'm loving it.

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #7,060 of 8,639

Did you also know it actually works with an external DAC too?

Just tried in with my BTR5 as a wired DAC, bit perfect including my 24/192 files and DSD's (MQA just the single unfold)

20210329_205320.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #7,061 of 8,639
Did you also know it actually works with an external DAC too?

Just tried in with my BTR5 as a wired DAC, bit perfect including my 24/192 files and DSD's (MQA just the single unfold)

20210329_205320.jpg
I did not know that...I don't have any USB DACs/dongles currently, though I am mulling over a portable digital transport + USB-powered dongle OR battery-powered DAC/amp. I need to think through what I want to do for a portable solution moving forward.

I just don't see myself transitioning to streaming life, and I'm resigned to the fact I'd be paying (either for features I don't want &/or reduced battery life due to Android implementation I don't need) more than I want to on DAPs. Been eyeing going back to a stack, but this time with a digital transport like a XDuoo X10T II instead of a DAP.

Mar 29, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #7,062 of 8,639
My use case for UAPP has always used up my battery quickly: streaming TIDAL and Qobuz and using the screen a lot to browse. So my battery drain has always been high with UAPP and I didn’t really expect anything better. But I can say with this UAPP update the ZX507 has not gotten hot while using UAPP for 2 hours straight tonight so far. So maybe your battery usage will improve with your local-file/no-streaming playback use case.
Well, first session with updated UAPP went well. No overheating whatsoever, and wound up using just over 9.5% battery/per hour during a 5 hour session today (as you note, I don't stream, so entirely playback of locally stored files, 16- & 24-bit ALAC).

Mar 29, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #7,063 of 8,639
Is anyone rocking a portable amp with their walkman? Just curious how the likes of the Topping NX1s pairs with the walkman? Never had a separate amp before but I have the 'want a new toy' bug and the NX1s looks like a bargain. Its also almost the exact same size as the A105 which is handy.

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #7,064 of 8,639
Well, first session with updated UAPP went well. No overheating whatsoever, and wound up using just over 9.5% battery/per hour during a 5 hour session today (as you note, I don't stream, so entirely playback of locally stored files, 16- & 24-bit ALAC).
Why use UAPP at all for your own files when Walkman App sounds best, uses least battery and even fully unfolds MQA and plays DSD native?

I would only use UAPP for its streaming of Tidal.

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #7,065 of 8,639
Why use UAPP at all for your own files when Walkman App sounds best, uses least battery and even fully unfolds MQA and plays DSD native?

I would only use UAPP for its streaming of Tidal.
I don't agree that Walkman app sounds best.....at all, plus I like the layout and playback features (e.g. easy queueing of albums) I get w/ UAPP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back