SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 5, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #496 of 8,639
Picked up the player from the post this morning. English setting is in dropdown list as soon as you power on the player. As expected, Poweramp only uses the default driver, not its "experimental" hi-res driver. Still sounds good to me. :)

Would play around with it more, but Red Dead Redemption 2 dropped on PC this morning so, priorities. I'm letting it play music while it's charging to start the 200 hour recommended burn in the player has.

Can you let me know if it has a USB DAC function and if there is a large delay?

Enjoy Red Dead wish I waited for the PC version.

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #497 of 8,639
Can you let me know if it has a USB DAC function and if there is a large delay?

Enjoy Red Dead wish I waited for the PC version.

Plugging in USB-C cable from a Windows 10 machine gives you two options, to either charge only or file transfer.

As for RDR2, It's fun, but not quite the same feeling to me as when GTA5 came out on PC... LOL

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #498 of 8,639
Plugging in USB-C cable from a Windows 10 machine gives you two options, to either charge only or file transfer.

As for RDR2, It's fun, but not quite the same feeling to me as when GTA5 came out on PC... LOL

To what dap can you compare the x500? What did you own before?

Sony will play the same game as with wm series. Add usb dac and bluetooth dac probably next year.... lol

Any tests you can do on spotify or tidal to see if it downsampling? Pls

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #499 of 8,639

Disappointing that there is no USB DAC function.

Red Dead is definitely a step down from GTA 5 in my opinion. I’m sure using a mouse also makes it a lot easier too.

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #500 of 8,639
To what dap can you compare the x500? What did you own before?

Sony will play the same game as with wm series. Add usb dac and bluetooth dac probably next year.... lol

Any tests you can do on spotify or tidal to see if it downsampling? Pls

I don't have near 200 hours of play thru the device to give it a true comparison. After first boot/setup, a splash screen come up telling you that the capacitors/hardware/something I kind of paid attention to needs the 200 hours of burn in time to be ready. No clue if that's smoke and mirrors or not, but so far so good? The CFA Equinox are my default iems, so i'm not exactly into "audiophile" tunings, but so far, doing a song by comparison through PowerAmp between a Fiio X7ii with AMP3a 3.5 connection using the high-resolution driver and the zx500's 3.5 connection using the standard android 48k driver (Dirty Movies - Van Halen, Blur - There's No Other Way, Shpongle - Shpongle Spores, Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil) they sound comparable. I think I imagine that the Sony sounds a wee bit clearer in resolving cymbals.

ZX500 works as USB-C source with the WA11 Topaz as a a USB-C Dac/amp. It seems to only output 32bit 96kHz via PowerAmp's high res driver though.

The balanced connection can push the Aeon Closed decently, but for my needs it needs some EQ to tame the headphone's highs.

I don't subscribe to streaming services so I can't help with spotify or tidal. I do have music uploaded to google play and everything streaming through there sounds fine.

edit: USB Audio Player Pro also works with the WA22 Topaz, and seems to output at what the file is encoded at

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #501 of 8,639
I had a chance to briefly compare ZX-300 and ZX-500 at the store in Akiba. Listened to a few jazz and hip hop songs on both using Sony XBA-N3, Audiosense T800 and Focal Clear. Not sure why, but ZX-300 sounded a bit better to my ears (burn-in?). Better instrument separation and cleaner vocals on ZX-300. Bass was about the same.

I was waiting for SQ upgrade over ZX-300. I'll have a look at NW-WM1A or DX220.

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #503 of 8,639
I had a chance to briefly compare ZX-300 and ZX-500 at the store in Akiba. Listened to a few jazz and hip hop songs on both using Sony XBA-N3, Audiosense T800 and Focal Clear. Not sure why, but ZX-300 sounded a bit better to my ears (burn-in?). Better instrument separation and cleaner vocals on ZX-300. Bass was about the same.

I was waiting for SQ upgrade over ZX-300. I'll have a look at NW-WM1A or DX220.

Yes burn do magic with sound and sony asks 200 hours...

Also check on cayin n6ii a really good dap I love it.

Well, so far, the only issue I have with the player is that the Sony music app doesn't want to see my 256GB micro sd card. LOL

Lol guess you need to wait for the next firmware update.
Or sony dont expect you to use such large sd cards cause this is a dap for streamers lmao

Nov 5, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #505 of 8,639
I’m using SanDisk 400 GB on mine and it works fine. Not sure what causes your issue though.

Eh, who knows. I pulled the card of a busted/batteryless Hiby r6, with 50+ GBs available. Once I swapped the card into the ZX-507, I transferred around 20GBs of data via USB. Google Play, USB Player Pro, and PowerAmp all see the card and read files off of it, but not the Sony app. Even when I go to one of the music files through the file browser and click on it, the Sony app isn't listed as one of the choices to play the file. I'm sure I'll get it sorted at some point.

Oh, it took almost 2 hours to charge the player from 5% to 100% using a Samsung Quickcharge 3.0 charger.

Nov 5, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #506 of 8,639
i wonder when will the hong kong release of this new walkman ? even more interesting the price of NW-ZX500 compare to the preducessor NW-ZX300 as prices here is generally quite a bit cheaper than europe

Nov 5, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #507 of 8,639
Do 3rd party music apps like GMMP work ok with this phone? Specifically the hardware buttons?

I have two requirements for a music app:
- Easy playlist editing
- Genre -> Album browsing. It's alarming how many high-end devices go Genre -> Individual Songs.

Nov 5, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #508 of 8,639
Eh, who knows. I pulled the card of a busted/batteryless Hiby r6, with 50+ GBs available. Once I swapped the card into the ZX-507, I transferred around 20GBs of data via USB. Google Play, USB Player Pro, and PowerAmp all see the card and read files off of it, but not the Sony app. Even when I go to one of the music files through the file browser and click on it, the Sony app isn't listed as one of the choices to play the file. I'm sure I'll get it sorted at some point.

Oh, it took almost 2 hours to charge the player from 5% to 100% using a Samsung Quickcharge 3.0 charger.

You need to format the sd card in dap first...
Thats why. And yes you gota recopy the whole thing sucks....

Nov 5, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #509 of 8,639
You need to format the sd card in dap first...
Thats why. And yes you gota recopy the whole thing sucks....

I know the instructions say to format the card in the player, but the fact that other apps read the card with no issues puts me in no rush to reformat. Almost gives me an excuse to get a bigger card... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back