SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 10, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #4,876 of 8,639
Hmm so you think there is no difference. This is not like with wm1 players then?

I have the option to buy a local zx507 with Ca region for the same price I can buy the international version which one would be best?
I like the international being black...
Just to add to the complexity of choice, there was discussion on the ZX300 thread (quite awhile ago) about there being a difference in sound between the silver and the black model. The silver model sounded better. So while I normally like black, I got a ZX507 in silver.

Why would the case color affect the sound?
- the black anodization affects how EMI is handled? Affects the ground plane/reference?
- affects the interaction of the human magnetic field with the DAP field?
- the color changes the perception of the user and the brain interprets sound differently?
- it drains negative energy?
- (fill in your reason)

Knowledgeable users in the discussion affirm that they hear a difference.
I classify this as in the basket of things that are divisive, with strong feelings both ways. Similar to, but to a greater extent, as SD cards, wires, components, etc.

So take this as another case of UAO (Unidentified Audio Object), to add to the audio psychosis.

Personally, I thought - why not get a silver ZX507? It looks nice....It looks nice...It looks nice.... ..... ....

I managed to convince myself.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #4,877 of 8,639
Definitely the Ca is the easiest way to go around. But price cost the black international is slightly cheaper by a mere 35cad $
And its black and real international version.
Go for the cheaper one then. The money saved can be used for funds into the next flagship Sony in 2021.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #4,880 of 8,639
@ttt123

we are just making him split his tiger hairs! Both black and silver looks nice. Buy the cheaper one lol.
But it may sound different!! He'll always be wondering.....

I know I know and I had the Japan domestic previously so I know somewhat how it sounded. I am still holding to my theory that sony still plays tricks on us and tune there daps with sound preferences for each region

And alas no one have done the test! Silver and black may in fact sound different lol

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #4,881 of 8,639
I know I know and I had the Japan domestic previously so I know somewhat how it sounded. I am still holding to my theory that sony still plays tricks on us and tune there daps with sound preferences for each region

And alas no one have done the test! Silver and black may in fact sound different lol
Buy both black and silver, test out which one sounds better and see if International and CA model has any differences in sound!

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #4,882 of 8,639
Buy both black and silver, test out which one sounds better and see if International and CA model has any differences in sound!

Hehe thats pricey to play around lolz

If folks want to contribute I can buy them and test! 😁😇😊

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #4,883 of 8,639
@Vitaly2017
I think your tiger ears are going to be shocked by the endless gush of lightning fast high dynamic music details with holographic expressive vocals that is presented to you in a expansive 3D soundstage with very precise imaging and separated positioning of instruments/elements. This is going to be an exciting new toy for you to enjoy!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #4,884 of 8,639
@Vitaly2017
I think your tiger ears are going to be shocked by the endless gush of lightning fast high dynamic music details that is presented to you in a expansive 3D soundstage with very precise imaging and separated positioning of instruments/elements. This is going to be an exciting new toy for you to enjoy!

Hehe keep doing the good work 🙃🙂 I think I am going to buy yhe international and it is cheaper by 35$

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #4,885 of 8,639
Hehe keep doing the good work 🙃🙂 I think I am going to buy yhe international and it is cheaper by 35$

Maybe the tweaked ZX507 will end up sounding so good for you that you can tide over until Sony releases their next flagship in 2021(which likely will be Q2 or beyond)

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #4,886 of 8,639
Sep 11, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #4,887 of 8,639
Toshiba Exceria M303 32GB
This card sounds very warm, bassy and smooth sounding
Bass feels very deep with more noticable decay than other cards.
Vocals feels more on the throaty side
Dynamics is very good, better than internal storage but not matching sandisk extreme pro
Treble felt darker, not airy but still has very good details
Transient feels less aggressive, cymbals clashes are less sharp but still has good imaging.
Soundstage feels slightly more closed in
I think this card is suitable for those who want to opt for bassy, warm and relaxing sound signature. It made my IER-M9 sound alot like a pair of SE846 iem.

I would rate this card as A for it's very warm and relaxing sound.

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #4,888 of 8,639
So these are the three cards I can recommend :

Sandisk extreme pro: if you like high dynamics, aggressive sounding transient, super strong full bodied sub-bass, super high resolution and high clarity treble with expansive soundstaging. This card is exceptionally good with revealing micro details and micro transients.

Sandisk High Endurance: if you seek a very polished sound with balanced transient, great bass, great clarity and really great soundstaging. A good all-rounder that is less aggressive sounding with excellent imaging.

Toshiba Exceria M303: if you seek a more warmer sound, really great bass, with more focus on midrange that is much less aggressive on transients and more towards smoothness. Treble is on the darker side. Imaging is still great. Soundstage just abit closer. Great for those who don't like treble glare.

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #4,889 of 8,639
My subjective rating:
Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB: A+
Sandisk High Endurance 64GB: A
Toshiba Exceria M303 32GB: A
ZX507 Internal Storage with microsd inserted: B+
Adata Premier Pro 128GB: B
Samsung Evo 32GB: C
Lexar 633X 512GB: D

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #4,890 of 8,639
@bland125 , @Whitigir , @ttt123 , @Vitaly2017

Seriously guys, I really don't know what to believe now. I just turn my ZX507+IER-M9 neutral-ish brighter sound signature into SE846 warm smooth sound signature just by changing to Toshiba Exceria M303 microsd card. This is really strange and unexplainable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back