SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 8, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #4,786 of 8,639
I tried playing music files directly from the ZX507 internal storage without any microsd card attached for about 1 hour. I think that the sound is way overpowering. Bass felts too strong(impact wise) for comfort and this is on a Balanced Armature IER-M9 which typically don't have impactful bass.

My guess is that Sony has already tuned and compensated the ZX507 sound signature with the typical microsd power draw in mind, so if you removed the microsd, the sound becomes overcompensated.

I still have two more microsd cards lying around:
Samsung Evo 32GB
Sandisk High Endurance 64GB (my dashcam)

Going to compare them against the lexar and adata to access sound quality impact between these card.

In my opinon, the lexar 633x 512GB sound quality is really bad. It seems to cause the zx507 to sound more limp and hazy. I really can't recommend anyone using this microsd card for their zx507 if seeking good sound quality matters to you.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #4,787 of 8,639
Something interesting:

1.5.5 Automatic Sleep Mode
A unique feature of SanDisk Industrial microSD Cards is automatic entrance and exit
from sleep mode. Upon completion of an operation, cards enter sleep mode to conserve
power if no further commands are received. The host does not have to take any action for
this to occur.
When the host is ready to access a card in sleep mode, any command issued to it will
cause it to exit sleep, and respond.

Sep 8, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #4,788 of 8,639
Subjective impressions:
Samsung Evo 32GB made in Philippines.

This card sounds better than Lexar, with better clarity. Abit warmer sounding with slightly more controlled transient response. Just a slight hint of haze but not distracting.

Treble isn’t as extended as Adata or internal storage. 3D soundstage effect is reduced by abit.

I think Samsung Evo card is warmer sounding and might work well with iems like IER-M9 to tame down the high frequencies but it still loses out to the adata and internal storage interms of pristine clarity. It’s very pleasant and relaxed sounding, not bad if you ask me.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #4,789 of 8,639
You must have magic ears to hear these differences. Are you sure it's not expectation bias or placebo? When I find myself focused on hearing differences my brain can sometimes get creative when in fact there is no difference or is very subtle. you're better off testing different cables instead of sd cards at least there you can hear changes depending on output impedance and silver plated etc

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #4,790 of 8,639
Definitely not placebo. I do hear the differences.

I spend a lot of time on tweaking and tuning the sound on the ZX507. I do a lot of switching back and forth on experimenting with sound settings/tweaks/comparisons.

Revisiting on different days and different headphones to make sure it’s not because of an anomaly in my hearing ability.

Anyway It’s really up to you all to decide if this @Sonywalkmanuser is a bullsh1t teller or someone who is just telling his real experiences.

Sep 8, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #4,791 of 8,639
Sandisk High Endurance 64GB subjective experience:

This card has a highly refined sound. Bass goes really deep and has really good definition without sounding overpowering.

It has a easy going sound signature, very transparent, very detailed sound and has lots of depth in the soundstage. Vocal Imaging is impeccably good, when music get louder/more complex, it still retains a very defined sound. Treble is silky smooth and refined and feels very immediate in it's attack.

I think I would rate the sound above the adata and as well as above the internal storage. This sandisk high endurance is highly recommended for it's polished sound.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #4,792 of 8,639
Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB

This card sounds super dynamic. Bass feels full bodied with very extended sub-bass.
Vocal has alot of depth in soundstage
Male vocals feels more throaty
Its feels even more 3D and holographic.
It feels unrestricted in it's transient delivery.
Treble feels really well extended and smooth.
This card has impressed me alot so far.
Very exciting sound with really nice bass feel.
Sounds warmer than sandisk high endurance.
This card has a very large audio system kind of sound, very bold and dynamic. Highly recommended as well.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #4,793 of 8,639
Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB

This card sounds super dynamic. Bass feels full bodied with very extended sub-bass.
Vocal has alot of depth in soundstage
Male vocals feels more throaty
Its feels even more 3D and holographic.
It feels unrestricted in it's transient delivery.
Treble feels really well extended and smooth.
It's really impressive sound.
This card has impressed me alot so far. Very exciting sound with really nice bass feel.
And that is why I am loving it so far! In my opinion, the 1Tb is totally worth buying

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #4,795 of 8,639
My subjective rating:
Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB: A+
Sandisk High Endurance 64GB: A
ZX507 Internal Storage with microsd inserted: B+
Adata Premier Pro 128GB: B
Samsung Evo 32GB: C
Lexar 633X 512GB: D
Agreed through and through: I haven’t check some in your list but I definitely agree with Lexar, Evo, and Extreme Pro in your ranking

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #4,796 of 8,639
Well that's all the microsd in my inventory. I didn't really expect this amount of difference in the sound between the microsd cards.

In my opinion, the sound quality difference between the lexar 633x and sandisk extreme pro is quite dramatic, the difference felt more noticable than changing iem tips.

Also this sandisk extreme pro was procured only today. I tried using the microsd preformatted by sandisk by just creating a music folder and copy files over.
The sound was extremely bassy and didn't image very well, it sounded way too warm and murky.

After which I did the microsd formatting via zx507 android OS and recopy the files over and the sound became what was described in my earlier post.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #4,800 of 8,639
And to prove that the microsd cards are tested by me: DSC_0008.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back