New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC
Apr 16, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #107 of 401
Hi all !
I'm new here.
I'm French so excuse my poor English.
I would like to thanks this forum for the help it provide to choice some audio equipment. It is the first time I buy decent audio equipment and reading/searching through this forum really helps me. Thanks.

A couple of weeks I buy a Sony UDA-1 (with a pair of Dali Zensor 1 speakers ; yesterday I get an AKG K612).
Here I focus on the Linux experience since I don't read any review of the UDA-1 on Linux.

I use Linux and I was a little worry if the UDA-1 can be used with this operating system. Sony only said that the UDA-1 can be used with an Android device.
The UDA-1 work nearly flawless with Linux. Plug the USB cable and it works "out of the box". For the record, I use Fedora 20 (kernel 3.13 from the distribution), I don't know if this matter.
For Linux, the UDA-1 (plugged into a USB port) is as expected a (basic) sound card. Excepted that it doesn't have volume control. A little disappointing since Sony provide a remote control. Pulseaudio use a software volume, it's convenient but for best quality try to keep Pulseaudio at 100%.
Supported formats :
$ cat /proc/asound/card2/stream0
Sony Sony USB DAC Amplifier at usb-0000:00:14.0-9, high speed : USB Audio
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S16_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 7 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
  Interface 1
    Altset 2
    Format: S24_3LE
  Interface 1
    Altset 3
    Format: S32_LE

If you want to use high resolution you have to touch the configuration of the daemon of Pulseaudio (if you use it). Edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, nothing special. Restart the daemon.
Pulseaudio doesn't have the S24_3LE format (24 bits padded with 8 bits => 32 bits), but setting "default-sample-format = s24le" in the configuration of Pulseaudio works (confirmed with "pacmd info" and Alsa).

I didn't test DSD format since I don't have any file with this format.
It seems the UDA-1 provide a specific stream for this :
$ /proc/asound/card2/stream1
Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 4
    Format: SPECIAL <=
    Endpoint: 5 OUT (ASYNC)

If later I use it, with success or not, I'll tell you.

The UDA-1 have a "Auto standby" mode (activated with a switch at the back). If the amplifier is not use, it switch off. Switch off, not standby ! For the computer, the device is disconnected (unplug, not in standby mode). Switch on the amplifier and it's connected. Pulseaudio handle this situation, no problem. But if you have another sound card, the UDA-1 is not more the default sound card. You can use pavucontrol to set again the default sound card. Or you can use the command line "pacmd set-default-sink ....". Here there is a little issue (the only one I found !). Sometimes the name of the UDA-1 is "alsa_output.usb-Sony_Sony_USB_DAC_Amplifier-00-Amplifier.analog-stereo", sometimes is "alsa_output.usb-Sony_Sony_USB_DAC_Amplifier-00-Amplifier.iec958-stereo" (use "pacmd info" to get the name).
I use this 2 lines and stupid script to set the default card :
pacmd set-default-sink alsa_output.usb-Sony_Sony_USB_DAC_Amplifier-00-Amplifier.analog-stereo
pacmd set-default-sink alsa_output.usb-Sony_Sony_USB_DAC_Amplifier-00-Amplifier.iec958-stereo

The best solution, if you can, is to disable other sound cards (BIOS or with the (dist-)blacklist.conf file somewhere in /etc or /lib/modules).

I read that there is some issues with USB 3 in asynchronous mode. For me, on my computer, the UDA-1 works exactly the same way with USB 2 or USB 3. That is perfectly.
The synchronization (important for movies) is perfect. I don't see any difference with the inboard sound card.

I can't give an audiophile point of view of the Sony UDA-1 because it is the only audiophile equipment I had. Anyway, I can tell I am very very please with it. The AKG K612 headphone known to be hard to drive give a great sound, more than loud enough for me.

May 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #108 of 401
This month's Stereophile has a great review of the Sony HAP-Z1ES, which is their hi-resolution digital file player with 1TB of hard drive space. It's not a DAC, though, so there is no digital input.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sony-hap-z1es-high-resolution-file-player

May 3, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #109 of 401
  This month's Stereophile has a great review of the Sony HAP-Z1ES, which is their hi-resolution digital file player with 1TB of hard drive space. It's not a DAC, though, so there is no digital input.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sony-hap-z1es-high-resolution-file-player

I've been debating for weeks now, whether to buy the HAP-Z1ES or the HAP-S1.....and I just can't decide ! ? Ideally I'd like the flagship model, but I don't have high end equipment.
Obviously the other alternative is the HAP-S1, which I could use as a separate music system, but then I don't have the option of the DSD Re-mastering engine, and extra storage. ( without the use of external storage. )

May 3, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #110 of 401

I've been debating for weeks now, whether to buy the HAP-Z1ES or the HAP-S1.....and I just can't decide ! ? Ideally I'd like the flagship model, but I don't have high end equipment.
Obviously the other alternative is the HAP-S1, which I could use as a separate music system, but then I don't have the option of the DSD Re-mastering engine, and extra storage. ( without the use of external storage. )

I got a HAP-S1 three weeks ago and so far I love everything about this wonder network HD player.  The first thing I realized when I pick up the player was how heavy it is.  It feels like a solid block, very well made.  Originally I was worrying about the fan will get loud but it is very quite.

The most amazing thing is the DSEE which works its magic on all my music files especially FLAC and ALAC.  I found the 500G HD is big enough for now and will add a 2TB external HD when the time comes.

The beauty of HAP-S1 is it is a integrated player, I hooked it up with my speakers and headphones and they all sound wonderful.  The remote app on Android and iOS devices also works great.  I never touch the player itself, just use the remote app for 90% of operation.

I am very happy with HAP-S1 and cannot wait to get some more DSD files to listen to.

May 3, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #111 of 401
  I got a HAP-S1 three weeks ago and so far I love everything about this wonder network HD player.  The first thing I realized when I pick up the player was how heavy it is.  It feels like a solid block, very well made.  Originally I was worrying about the fan will get loud but it is very quite.

The most amazing thing is the DSEE which works its magic on all my music files especially FLAC and ALAC.  I found the 500G HD is big enough for now and will add a 2TB external HD when the time comes.

The beauty of HAP-S1 is it is a integrated player, I hooked it up with my speakers and headphones and they all sound wonderful.  The remote app on Android and iOS devices also works great.  I never touch the player itself, just use the remote app for 90% of operation.

I am very happy with HAP-S1 and cannot wait to get some more DSD files to listen to.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm tending to sway more to buying the HAP-S1. ( and possibly buy the Hi Res speakers, at a later date ?? )

You mention the DSSE, which of course is on the new Hi Res Walkman's....I have a F886....I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the DSSE option, whether I prefer it on or off ?
One thing that I do love, ( since firmware update. ) is listening to flac files converted to DSD64. ( Using JRiver ) Can't you just convert your existing files to DSD, rather than buying them ?
Am I right in thinking that, gapless does not work with DSD files on HAP-S1 - HAP-Z1ES ? ( It doesn't on the Walkman's )

May 3, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #112 of 401

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm tending to sway more to buying the HAP-S1. ( and possibly buy the Hi Res speakers, at a later date ?? )

You mention the DSSE, which of course is on the new Hi Res Walkman's....I have a F886....I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the DSSE option, whether I prefer it on or off ?
One thing that I do love, ( since firmware update. ) is listening to flac files converted to DSD64. ( Using JRiver ) Can't you just convert your existing files to DSD, rather than buying them ?
Am I right in thinking that, gapless does not work with DSD files on HAP-S1 - HAP-Z1ES ? ( It doesn't on the Walkman's )

Wow, I did not know I can covert FLAC to DSD 64.  I will try it tonight.  FUN!

Yes I do believe gapless does not work with DSD on HAP-S1 but I never try it myself. 

I am listening HAP-S1 right now with my HD600 and it is amazing how it can drive HD600 so nicely!

May 3, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #113 of 401
  Wow, I did not know I can covert FLAC to DSD 64.  I will try it tonight.  FUN!

Yes I do believe gapless does not work with DSD on HAP-S1 but I never try it myself. 

I am listening HAP-S1 right now with my HD600 and it is amazing how it can drive HD600 so nicely!

Converting to DSD sounds AMAZING !!! It's a shame about the gapless issue, especially if you like soundtracks or classical music, but for the sonic quality it's a smallish price to pay, I guess ? You can convert to DSD128 on JRiver, but it won't playback on the Walkman, ( or I should say, it's plays back, 176khz. ) The HAP models can playback DSD128 though.....give it a go, and let me know what you think ?
I'm thinking more & more that I will decide to buy the HAP-S1.....

May 7, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #115 of 401
Just got my HAP-Z1ES today. Currently copying some music files to it. I have to say the build quality is amazing, the weight of it.
eek.gif

May 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #116 of 401
  Just got my HAP-Z1ES today. Currently copying some music files to it. I have to say the build quality is amazing, the weight of it.
eek.gif

I SO wanted the HAP-Z1ES !! ( Just had confirmation that my HAP-S1, will be delivered tomorrow. ) Looking forward to your feedback.....do you know if you can copy converted files, i.e. dsd files, from JRiver ? ( I can, to my Sony Hi Res Walkman....so assume, it's possible to do the same with the HDD players ? )

May 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #117 of 401
I finally caved in....and ordered a HAP-S1, this morning. I hope I don't regret it !! ??

Congrats on your purchase :)

I ended up using a better voucher to get some discount on the uda-1.

I use a squeezebox touch to stream via coax to the uda-1.

So it went better with my existing kit and setup and it has a speaker amp too.

I was tempted by the hpa-s1 though B-)

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

May 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #118 of 401
Congrats on your purchase :)

I ended up using a better voucher to get some discount on the uda-1.

I use a squeezebox touch to stream via coax to the uda-1.

So it went better with my existing kit and setup and it has a speaker amp too.

I was tempted by the hpa-s1 though B-)

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

Thanks......are you impressed with the UDA-1 ?

May 7, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #119 of 401

Thanks......are you impressed with the UDA-1 ?

Yes I'm liking it very much.

Very well made, sounds good, looks great, has all the inputs I need for my existing kit, overall very pleased and will be keeping it.

Only trouble is, I'm now looking for some new speakers
biggrin.gif
 although I'm still seeing if my existing Mission 780SE's will suffice while I wait for the sonys to be released in the UK.

Heard some good options in sevenoaksaudio at the weekend though, so tempted to spend again 
rolleyes.gif

Only downside which is a real silly point, is that sony don't sell the connecting cable in the UK, to connect the ZX1 to the UDA1 which grates, but my sb touch sounds great and utilises my existing library, so longer term is a better home option.

Hopefully the cable will become available or else more locally available on ebay.

Let us know how the HAP-S1 sounds 
L3000.gif

May 7, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #120 of 401

Yes I'm liking it very much.

Very well made, sounds good, looks great, has all the inputs I need for my existing kit, overall very pleased and will be keeping it.

Only trouble is, I'm now looking for some new speakers
biggrin.gif
 although I'm still seeing if my existing Mission 780SE's will suffice while I wait for the sonys to be released in the UK.

Heard some good options in sevenoaksaudio at the weekend though, so tempted to spend again 
rolleyes.gif

Only downside which is a real silly point, is that sony don't sell the connecting cable in the UK, to connect the ZX1 to the UDA1 which grates, but my sb touch sounds great and utilises my existing library, so longer term is a better home option.

Hopefully the cable will become available or else more locally available on ebay.

Let us know how the HAP-S1 sounds 
L3000.gif

Glad you're liking it. Which Sony speakers are you waiting for ? ( I'm hoping my existing Sony speakers will suffice ? ) Yes, as we've said before about availability.....a cable, is even more frustrating !!
I'll let you know, what I think, tomorrow.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back