New Solid state Headphone with Surround in THE show soon..
Jan 6, 2002 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Joe Lau

Antique Sound Lab
It is our new solid state Headphone amps with NJRC NJM2703 DSP IC. I will get the first shipment soon. I build this sample is only the prototype sample from NJRC. This srround IC really great ! It is improved from SRS theory but It seem more better. It will show at CES2002 soon. (It still in HK , I'm in wating list of air tickets. Will hand carry it to Las Vegas soon). I also have a New Headphone converter with Multi Tap transformers and a switch to select level. I call it UHC reference tools - Why I name it ! I hope it use as :

Carry it together with Headphone and cable. Go out for selecting Hifi equiement ignore about other configutation ..

e.g testing of CD - Just plug it in a CD player and you can listen it with no coloration. It also can test Pre-amps , Integrated amps , Power amps..... Or you listen it at home by direct connect to source. No need a headphone amps but only it together with your source like CD player , DVD.

Jan 6, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 15
attachment.php

Sounds good, thanks for the update!

Jan 7, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
looks like a nice solution for those with tube preamps that want a headphone output without a dedicated headphone amp

Attach a Photo of this New Headphone Reference tools !

Jan 7, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 15
VERY nice Joe ! I like it

couple of questions
1-there are the two sets of RCA jacks,is one set a pass through jack
2-the XLR,a headphone output for AKG K1000 ?

Jan 7, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 15
couple of questions
1-there are the two sets of RCA jacks,is one set a pass through jack - Yes ! It is a Pass through Jack -
e.g When you connect it between Pre-amps and power amps , connect your Pre-amps to UHC and connect output of UHC to power amps. You can turn off the power amps and listen by Pre-amps. It will save your tube life of power amps and ELEC bills.
2-the XLR,a headphone output for AKG K1000 ? - Yes ! It is design for AKG1000 but unfortunately I had no chance to test it by AKG1000 Headphone soon. I will send some sample out to some reviewer of which have AKG1000 before it release.
You even can connet it directly to CD and listen by Headphone amps. It also can use as a Passive Pre-amps by solder a connector plug in Headphone out or you also can open it and resolder the output Jack connect to transformers out. OH ! It become a Passive Pre-amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 15
I just got back from Las Vegas tonite.Joe Lau is great.I got to see all his latest stuff.I will post pictures in the morning.Joe does not speak good english but he is a techie extreme.

Jan 15, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 15
Mhm, just one practical question: Why does the jack point upward instead of forward? Most headphones I know have a straight plug, so a jack pointing upward unnec(c?)es(s?)arily (spelling?) bends the cable, imho, doesn't it?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Is there already a recommended sales price for the new dsp amp?

P.P.S.: Btw, Jan has sent me a Corda HA-1 and a Porta Corda for evaluation (thanks!). I've already tried the Porta: Recommended - a very detailed, fast little amp. It drives the DT531 very fine. And to my surprise the DT531 sounds better without the Porta's 120-Ohm-adaptor - i.e. even more detailed with a little deeper and better controlled bass. A little more aggressive too, though. With the 120-Ohm-adaptor it sounds remarkably similar to "Ye olde Marantz" (my good old PM510, integrated amp)... Anyway, I guess I'm now interested in headphone amps, too. <sigh>
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 15
This sounds like such a cool idea!

attachment.php

Quote:

I just got back from Las Vegas tonite.Joe Lau is great.I got to see all his latest stuff.I will post pictures in the morning.Joe does not speak good english but he is a techie extreme.

But, his writing skills are good enough that we can all understand him, don't you all love the internet?

I already want to read some reviews on these units
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2002 at 6:35 AM Post #14 of 15
I just wanted to bump this thread, 'cos I have lots of questions.

So, if we have a CD player that has adequate current capability, is this what we would want?

What is the difference between this and an amp?

Okay, this one doesn't amplify.

But how do we decide whether or not we want this, or an amplifier?

Sorry, somehow I missed this thread. I keep mentioning hooking up my headphones directly to a pre-amp such as the Musical Fidelity A3^CR, and, other than the actual connections, why would you need this?

What else does it do?

Is there a transformer involved?

If one is an "OTL guy", then we would not want this, correct? I'm not sure I am, just asking.

Wouldn't you just want a modified cable such as that used with the Blockhead (that has two RCA connectors on it instead of one 1/4" plug)?

May 29, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #15 of 15
Is the surround effect on the SR Head similar to the effect created by crossfeed? Perhaps a listening test would be most suitable for answering this question. This just looks very interesting, the SR Head that is. I wonder if the Surround effect will come at the cost of the natural sound one experiences without similators like the surround effect . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back