New Singxer UIP-1 and other USB cleaning/isolating options below $500
Sep 30, 2017 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

doraymon

1000+ Head-Fier
It seems this is one of the most crowded sectors in digital music reproduction in terms of new product launches nowadays.
I just ordered a Holo Audio KTE Spring DAC and Singxer KTE SU-1 USB to I2S converter (the latter to take full advantage of the internal architecture of the Spring DAC)
Both are KTE, Kitsune Tuned Edition by Kitsune HiFi (which is also Holo Audio USA).

During the purchasing decision process I exchanged a ton of emails with Tim of Kitsune HiFi and I have to say that this chat was extremely instructive and useful. Tim is a busy, passionate and knowledgeable guy who took the time to answer the many questions I asked before buying. Don't bomb him as I did otherwise he'll kill me for having written this.

He agreed with me that despite the SU-1 is doing already a good job in cleaning the incoming signal, the sound quality can benefit dramatically by the addiction of a USB isolator.
After discussing many different solutions to the USB cleaning problem, if we leave good quality network players aside there are a few products which are grabbing my attention:
1) iFi iGalvanic 3.0 (not sure about the price but I understand there is a bundle offer with iDefender and iPower available @ $350 or so)
2) UpTone ISO REGEN ($325)
3) the good ol' Intona Industrial USB (can be found on sale at $299)
4) the upcoming Singxer UIP-1 (apparently Tim will receive a few units very soon, he even promised me pictures). I have no idea about the pricing but it should be the lowest of the set.

I am interested in hearing comments and opinions about this products if anyone has tried them (at list the first three).
What I eventually want to understand is if these products can, in certain conditions, deliver similar results of much more expensive and exotic solutions on the market.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 14
whta is kte?
KTE = Kitsune Tuned Edition
It's a professional tuning done by Kitsune HiFi, namely Tim Connor who replaces some of the components with higher quality and performance ones to achieve improved sound quality

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 14
There you go, pictures of the Singxer UIP -1:
424836CD-4A8D-4A52-9D40-A1E592BB5479.jpeg
DB6A4631-0CAF-4DD7-AAE3-AD97409FE58F.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 14
I haven’t tried one so mine are only assumptions.
In principle I would answer definitely yes to the second question.
Regarding Vbus and ground cut I’m not sure but you can shoot an email either to Singxer or Tim Connor (maybe easier communication?).

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 14
I'm very interested in Iso Regen and Singxer UIP-1.
Seems that these two use similar way to deal with the usb signal.
The pre-order price of Singxer UIP-1 is $234 which is a bit cheaper than Iso Regen if considering the LPS-1 bundle.

Hope there will be a review of UIP-1 soon so that I can make my decision.

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 14
I'm very interested in Iso Regen and Singxer UIP-1.
Seems that these two use similar way to deal with the usb signal.
The pre-order price of Singxer UIP-1 is $234 which is a bit cheaper than Iso Regen if considering the LPS-1 bundle.

Hope there will be a review of UIP-1 soon so that I can make my decision.
Yeah a nice USB decrapifier shootout would be indeed very interesting...

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 14
Did Tim say anything about the performance of UIP and SU-1? How do they compare? It seems like UIP is 2/3 of the original SU-1 price.
I think they cover different ground, the SU-1 is mainly a USB to I2S converter with some degree of signal regeneration (reclocking).
The UIP gets a USB signal and outputs a USB signal and does only signal regeneration, not sure if galvanic isolation though.
Anyhow no, Tim didn't comment on that.

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 14
I think they cover different ground, the SU-1 is mainly a USB to I2S converter with some degree of signal regeneration (reclocking).
The UIP gets a USB signal and outputs a USB signal and does only signal regeneration, not sure if galvanic isolation though.
Anyhow no, Tim didn't comment on that.

Thanks for the clarification. I always thought that I2s do better in reducing jitters as the signals are sent separately. But, nowadays, there are numbers of good S/PDIF connection to a point where I am not sure which one is better.

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 14
Singxer UIP-1 in NOT a true USB Isolator.
The two USB socket metal housings are connected internally :frowning2: !!!
It’s the same BUG that the SU-1 and the SU-6 have.

The inner data and PW pins are isolated between each other.

You can solve the problem by cutting the connection on the PCB with a scalpel.

ISO 1.jpg

ISO 2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back