New Silverchair - ???
Jul 29, 2007 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

HiFiRE

100+ Head-Fier
I just listened to it and I'm completely shocked. Pardon my acronym but What? Their style is completely detached from their previous records. It's not even rock pop anymore: no distortion, no yells, 0 angst, just loads of falsetto vocals. Can someone explain to me what happened to the band? By the hammer of thor, I can't even give it a chance!

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 11
its his take on pop, i agree though i'm not a big fan. Basically daniel doesn't want to do the same style albums anymore (started with neon to a small extent, and definately obvious with diorama), so its like the next album if ever will be different again

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they even still around? I haven't listened to them since I bought Frogstomp when it came out in middle school...

me too, which is rare, because I mop up the music usually..will have to check this and the previous effort after FS..
Silverchair was a great concert back in 96 actually, shredded it

Aug 1, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #8 of 11
"Young Modern" is a great, great album and probably the album of the year yet for me. I still prefer their previous album, "Diorama," because that one just blew me away. Yes, they sound different now and that's what they were going for. I just find it funny that people expect them to sound like their "Frogstomp" days or some that say that they have totally sold out.

I really like how they've grown musically and have gone against what record companies want.

Here's part 1 of a documentary about "Diorama" being one of the greatest Australian albums:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-1Jq1KEN2Q

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 11
I absolutely love 'Young Modern'...it's so well put together and probably my favorite album this year. I felt the same way about Diorama when it came out. I really think Daniel Johns is probably the most underrated musician out there.

All of their albums have a progression in maturity and musical style...I guess you either get it or you don't...

I saw Silverchair live in February this year and they were fantastic...Johns has an incredible voice.

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 11
I doubted i'd ever be saying positive things about Silverchair. I thought the first album was middling hard rock at best only made interesting by how young they were. But.......

I heard the song "low" on the radio this morning and was liking it a lot. A bit of beatles in the arrangement and lyric, singing a bit like early steely dan, and a hooky country guitar line. When the guy said silverchair after the song played I thought i misheard him.

So those that have heard the rest of the album, is this song indicative of the album? If so i might just pick it up.

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 11
I actually kind of like the new album. Sure, it's very different from their past albums but I don't think it's a change for the worse anyway.

Kind of funny that this thread popped up when I was listening to "Steam Will Rise" from the Neon Ballroom album.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back