New Sigur Ros.. Amazing
Oct 10, 2002 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wab

500+ Head-Fier
I recently got hold of a sampler from the new Sigur Ros album ( )that will be released in a few weeks. It's incredible, the most beautiful music I've heard in a long time. I already know it will rule my life again, just like Agaetis Byrjun did. Anyone else listened to it?

Oct 11, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by wab
I recently got hold of a sampler from the new Sigur Ros album...Anyone else listened to it?

I think I speak for myself when I say, "you person". Yes, I would have listened to it...if I could have.

How did you manage to stumble across a copy?

Oct 11, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 12
Daemoth,
I have never heard Von (should get it some time). But I can say the new one is very different from Agaetis Byrjun. The new one is not as much "produced" as AB was. They let go all the electronic production stuff (which was done very skillfully in AB) and have a much more "raw" sound of just the band playing. BTW. the sampler contains only 4 tracks so I can't say the whole album will be like this.

Dusty,
I have a friend who writes for a music mag and sometimes passes me on something. I also have a copy of the new Godspeed You Black Emperor! that is due next month
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 12
Okay I've listened to a few tracks now. wab is right, it's damn good!

Oct 11, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Godspeed You Black Emperor! that is due next month

wow, that is awesome. I want GYBE! to go on tour really bad so I can see them. I've already got tickets to Sigur Ros
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 12
I just ordered the new album and I also got a sealed copy of "von" off of ebay (there I go buying cds on ebay again), I'm wondering what to expect, all I know of these guys is the comparison to "radiohead." What would you guys say?

Oct 11, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by wab
I recently got hold of a sampler from the new Sigur Ros album ( )that will be released in a few weeks. It's incredible, the most beautiful music I've heard in a long time. I already know it will rule my life again, just like Agaetis Byrjun did. Anyone else listened to it?

I've heard the whole album (MP3s - yay! :p) and I have to say I really don't care for it at all. The whole thing is so .... repetitive. Every song sounds precisely the same... so badly trying to be emotional and melancholy it just comes off sounding really sappy to me.

On the other hand, I really like the new GYBE quite a bit. On first listening, I thought it was weak and didn't climax like I had hoped, but the more I listened the more it grew on me. Can't wait to own it.

- Chris

Oct 12, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by wab
Dusty,
I have a friend who writes for a music mag and sometimes passes me on something. I also have a copy of the new Godspeed You Black Emperor! that is due next month
smily_headphones1.gif

And again, you person.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Of course, part of this is that I missed two concerts recently, one of which was out of sheer ignorance -- I didn't know that Do Make Say Think and Fly Pan Am were touring, and the closest they came to me was Baltimore.

Look here

Oct 12, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

I'm wondering what to expect, all I know of these guys is the comparison to "radiohead." What would you guys say?

Yeah, the radiohead comparisons are.... sorta accurate. "Von" reminds me of just the band tinkering around in the studio for years looking for odd ways to make "settings." Not soundscapes, but settings. These weird settings are weaved with actual music that is kinda more like stuff from the band GYBE! than their second album AB. AB on the other hand is much more song and soundscape driven and probably compares a little more to a little of radiohead's Amnesiac or Kid A (which were released after AB). AB also sounds kinda like Spiritualized in some ways (but far more rock driven then spiritualized ever was).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back