New Sigur Ros album- free stream on Last.fm!
Jun 14, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphiremodena /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main impression that I get from this album is that I really want to see them do lots of this stuff live.

Good news, it looks like they'll be in our neck of the woods early in October!

Jun 15, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good news, it looks like they'll be in our neck of the woods early in October!

Ooh, really! Where did you hear this? I must not be looking in the right places.

To those who are waiting for better quality, there are good versions to be found out there. *cough*[size=xx-small]torrents[/size]*cough*

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphiremodena /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh, really! Where did you hear this? I must not be looking in the right places.

To those who are waiting for better quality, there are good versions to be found out there. *cough*[size=xx-small]torrents[/size]*cough*

I found out about it through last.fm, it looks like ticketmaster had accidentally posted the date earlier and then redacted it. I got an email from the band yesterday saying sales were starting this morning. I logged on at 6:00am (when sales started) and couldn't actually load a page until 6:45am! Portland and Vancouver were already sold out, but luckily I got some of the last few tickets to the Seattle show. I could probably turn around and sell them to pay for a pair of RS1s, but I have to see that show
biggrin.gif

I got the 320kbps download from them and the better quality makes a night and day difference. This album was recorded much better than their past albums.

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #21 of 28
oh! Man! What an album! The first seven tracks blow my mind and the next 4 kind of tail off. But then again every time Ára bátur ends I switch back to Gobbledigook and repeat so I have only heard the rest a couple of times. Not even Svefn-G-Englar matches the majesty of Ára bátur though. (Helps that this album keeps demanding your attention unlike some other tracks on the other albums you could use as lullabies).

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #22 of 28
I actually preferred the last four tracks to the rest of the album. The last four were very intimate an honest, while the rest sounded too cheesy. I liked the first part of Ara batur but its ending sounded like some chick-flick movie score.

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjapixie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually preferred the last four tracks to the rest of the album. The last four were very intimate an honest, while the rest sounded too cheesy. I liked the first part of Ara batur but its ending sounded like some chick-flick movie score.

Do you understand Icelandic by any chance 'cos I would get where you are coming from in that case. I don't so I treat the vocals as another instrument. This album is definitely more accessible (or mainstream poppish if I may put it like that). I get that the melodies in the first seven tracks could be rather cliched and simple but the arrangement itself still doesn't sound like any other band that I have heard, which was always Sigur Ros's forte and that makes and that makes it novel. Or maybe that means that for all my pretensions, I'm the neighborhood generic music lover. Heh!

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #24 of 28
First post and I'm talking going to be the voice of dissent. After having listened to this album twice, I found it to be mediocre through and through. The songs simply aren't particularly memorable. Accessible this album certainly is, but at the cost of the Sigur Rós sound. No vast sweeps of orchestra and bowed guitar, Jonsí's voice soaring above. No trully uplifting or trully down-trodding tracks. It isn't a bad album; simply a forgetable one.

Von was a shame. They took so long recording it that by the time they realised how different each song was to the original intent, they had but two options; release now or scrap and start over. Some of the songs have been done for other albums, so one can hear the tremendous potential of the album. I wish they'd do it again.

Ágætis byrjun is simply fantastic. No more need be said.

( ) is very different and astonishingly wonderful.

Takk.... is Ágætis byrjun take two. If not quite as good, well, little could hope to be it's equal.

I only wish that every thing weren't so LOUD. Cripes, hearing a penny-whistle solo causes me to turn down the volume such that I can hear nothing else. Pfui.

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by slinger1182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you understand Icelandic by any chance 'cos I would get where you are coming from in that case. I don't so I treat the vocals as another instrument. This album is definitely more accessible (or mainstream poppish if I may put it like that). I get that the melodies in the first seven tracks could be rather cliched and simple but the arrangement itself still doesn't sound like any other band that I have heard, which was always Sigur Ros's forte and that makes and that makes it novel. Or maybe that means that for all my pretensions, I'm the neighborhood generic music lover. Heh!

Nope don't understand Icelandic. I just didn't like the direction they've taken on this album. Too poppy.

( ) is probably in my top 5 fav albums all time so I understand what you mean about the voice being treated as an instrument. I also loved what they did with the acoustic tracks from their Heim/Hvarf cd, which I prefer to both Takk and AB. I was kinda hoping their new album would have that intimate acoustic feel, but apart from the last four tracks, I was pretty disappointed.

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #26 of 28
I think "Gobbledigook" as the first song sets a bad tone for the album (I really don't like the song), but the rest of the album I quite enjoy. It's definitely a new direction for the band, or a shift. I think of it as a "summer" Sigur Ros album.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #28 of 28
Sorry for res'ing a relatively old thread. I've recently become enamored with Sigur Ros after doing a query on Audi's new A4 commercial aired during the Olympic opening ceremony that led to the discovery of Sigur Ros. The track used in the commercial sounded very much like the work of Sigur Ros. Are there any other bands with a similar style to Sigur Ros?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back