Free 2nd Day US Shipping

shure_sha900_portable_headphone_amp.jpg

Shure_SHA900_inputs.jpg

shure_sha900_amp_inputs.jpg

Shure SHA900 Portable Headphone Amplifier

Free 2nd Day US Shipping

$999 -
Shure SHA900 Portable Headphone Amplifier

Shure SHA900 portable headphone amplifier for pairing with the earphones & headphones you love, only better.

Sacrificing sound quality when you’re on the go is a thing of the past . Use the SHA900 with your mobile devices to enhance the experience of your favorite earphones or headphones, its compatible with your Mac, PC, iOS, and Android Devices.

Pair your SE846 Sound with the SHA900 Isolating™ Earphones for an exceptional blend of style and substance: choose from clear or bronze below.

Included Accessories:

1. a variety of cables and adapters for a customized listening experience
  2. a wall charger
  3. polishing cloth
  4. two durable silicone bands to secure the amplifier to your mobile device

Features of the Shure SHA900

• Consistent Sound Quality - What you hear won't be colored by the impedance load of your headphones or earphones.
  • Works with you - Rechargeable and compatible with your Mac, PC, iOS, and Android Devices.
  • High Resolution 24/96 ADC/DAC - Aligns with the exacting Japan Audio Society High-Resolution requirements for both analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion.
  • Widely Compatible - The SHA900 works with any earphones and headphones featuring a 3.5mm or 1/8" jack.
  • Portability Perfected - Sized comparably to your mobile device and durable enough for life on the go, the SHA900 makes great sound possible anywhere.

Interface Features

• Easy Monitoring of Settings - Clearly view input source, input level meter, battery level, output volume and EQ setting from the home screen.
  • Five EQ Presets Loaded Standard - Flat, Low Boost, Vocal Boost, Loudness, and DE-ess presets offer easy access to the EQ settings you'll most likely want to tweak. Or, enjoy pure analog audio in Bypass Mode, which bypasses digital processing.
  • Detailed Personal Control - Further refine your listening experience with four customizable EQ settings that allow you to shape and tune your music to suit your tone preferences.

Specifications

Bit Depth: 16-bit / 24-bit

Sampling Rate: 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 kHz

Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 50 kHz

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: Up to 107 dB A-weighted

Adjustable Gain Range: -60 dB to +17 dB

THD+N: 0.05% (1 kHz)

Output Power: Up to 135 mW +135 mW (16 Ω, 1% THD), Up to 95 mW +95 mW (42 Ω, 1% THD)

Output Impedance: 0.35 Ω

Headphone Impedance Range: 6 Ω to 600 Ω

Limiter: Selectable Analog RMS Limiter

Equalizer: 4-band Parametric

USB Input: USB Micro-B Receptacle

Line-In: Input 3.5 mm (1/8")

Headphone: Output 3.5 mm (1/8")

Charging Requirements: USB-powered: 5 V/0.5 A to 1 A

Housing: Chrome Plated Aluminum

Net Weight: 182.0 g (6.42oz.)

Dimensions: 111 × 59 × 21 mm H × W × D

Battery Type: Rechargeable Li-Ion

Battery Nominal Voltage: 3.6V DC

Battery Life: Analog in (BYPASS EQ mode): up to 20 hours

USB Input (EQ mode): up to 10 hours

Operating Temperature Range: 0° to 45° C (32° to 113° F)

Battery Operating Temperature Range: -18° to 57°C (0° to 135° F)

Thank You.​

Drew Baird
Moon Audio

Last edited:
Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 16, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 16
It does look nice (I prefer the silver finish to the black finish on the KSE1500 amp/DAC), but seriously, who'd buy this at $1000?
Its DAC isn't that great for 2016. Its amp will likely get pooped all over by current mode amps like that in the QP1R. And it doesn't even have a built-in player. It's almost twice the price of a Mojo and all you're really getting for that extra money is a parametric EQ. I just can't see Shure selling many of these. It's just priced too high IMHO.

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 16
Anyone using the iPhone (any smartphone..) + SHA900 + SE846 combination?

I have the SE864.. in search of a "nice" mobile DAC/AMP.. Mojo and the SHA900 are shortlisted. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 16
I feel obliged to respond because this great product is not getting the recognition it deserves on Headfi, YouTube or anywhere else for that matter. I'm not affiliated with Shure and there is no financial incentive for me to write about its products. But I am a long time enthusiast of HiFi audio since the Mid-80s when I fell in love with the sound of ReVox speakers. 
I will address the open questions in this, my first post on Head-Fi.:

1. Sha900 vs. Chord Mojo 
2. How this product meets the musical requirements for 2016 and,
3. The justifiability of price.

First off, I'm very happy I made this purchase. In fact, I was happy to pay full price for this addition to my portable setup. Personally, I've learned from experience that stats on a datasheet or second hand impressions from critics don't necessarily live up to my own personal experience. So when I first learned about this amp, I looked online to see where I could try it out. Of all places, its available at InMotion stores in the airport. So on my back from a business trip, I thought o try it out.

First impression was wow, this thing is really gorgeous before it was even turned on. The design, materials, build quality, feel of volume dial and buttons are all beyond anything out there. Substantial presence and well machined parts. Once on, the sound quality blew me away. I went online to YouTube to listen to a track I was thoroughly familiar with that had the percussions, the mids and the sharp highs. The tonality was incredible. It honestly took my SE846's to a whole new level in terms of detail and precision. It sounds cliche to say, but in fact, the soundstage was wider and the instrument separation was even more clear. In other words, the differentiation of sounds was more pronounced overall. I did in fact identify new details in music I owned.

It was about 3 months following my initial purchase of the SE846's in a headphone shop well known in Singapore. While testing out a number of earphones to replace my Sennheiser's at that time, I was ultimately sold on the SE846's. During that process, I was shown the Chord Mojo. The proprietor of the shop sang its praises. My first impression was, this is hideous. I still can't get over the design. I listened through my iPhone 6 and wasn't impressed at all. I put it aside, because I simply didn't feel any real advantage to using this device alongside my phone and the idea of dropping an extra $600 just didn't make any sense financially or sonically. Now it could very well be that the iPhone is perhaps not the best device to pair the Chord Mojo with, but in my mind, portable DAC's are intended to work with the mobile devices people typically have available. So hopefully this settles that question. The Shure SHA900 is simply better to listen to in comparison with the Chord Mojo, IMHO. I still hadn't purchased the Shure, nor any other device yet. My hang up was the price.

While on another trip and passing through Hong Kong, I had the opportunity to try out another mode of portable audio - the AK 320 DAP. Paired with my SE846 and an Effect Audio hybrid cable, the sound was exquisite. The price for that unit was around $1800 USD. However, I didn't try this unit out on the same track as it was not loaded so I could not do a side by side comparison. Nevertheless, I thought back to the Shure SHA900 and realized that either way, to get the sound quality/experience I really wanted required an extra device and it was not likely to be cheap. Whether it was a DAC or a DAP, the form factor was the real consideration. I decided that the DAC form factor was more practical. Here's why:

1. My library of music was already on my phones, or could be with an SD card attached so I could load my CDs via FLAC or AAC format
2. While travelling, I could use the DAC with the audio on the plane and actually enhance the otherwise terrible audio available via default 3.5MM output ordinarily provided
3. I could also pair a DAC with a PC if the sound card wasn't up to m(I currently have the Surface mark (I currently have the Surface Notebook and the HP Spectre )

I decided on going with a DAC because it made the most sense. So I started looking for a lower price-point alternative to the Shure. I did my homework and decided based on the technology in terms of supporting 32Kb and 384Kb/s throughput capabilities and embedded support of DSD to get the most out of the available technology, the best option on the market was a Centrance DAC Portable. Upon receiving this from Amazon, I installed the Windows Drivers via the website and unfortunately, I could hardly tell a difference when paired with my PC via USB. Connecting it to my LG V20 hardly made a difference. I could not pair it with my iPhone since it simply did not work and the cabling was not a simple solution due to the output in mini-usb to thunderbolt via an adapter. After about 2 weeks, I returned the Centrance Disappointed. Worst of all, I had to hunt around town to try to find cables to pair it with my Phones.

My last objection was the idea that the Shure only supported 24Kb vs. the 32 available out there.
While doing some homework, I came to learn that the high quality FLAC files from CD's were hardly better than 16 Kb 192 bps. On further research, I came to learn that people could hardly tell between 24 and 32 and so, my questions on obsolescence have been put to rest. Theoretically, better sound is available in the higher bit depth and higher frequency sampling available with the Digital innovations. There are loads of studies out there, performed by more curious people that have conducted experiments online and have found that there are very few if any people who can. If you are one of those people, then by all means get yourself the most sophisticated technology available.

I love my Shure because it sounds amazing. I like the fact that the thoughtful people of Shure designed this device to be user friendly. The usability of the Shure and the simplicity of the device controls makes it easy to operate with a single hand. The digital color display shows you enough to operate the various settings and set your own. Connecting this to my PC, iPhone or LG V20 requires no drivers whatsoever, There are chords for USB, iPhone and mini-usb. Since my It also comes with a 3.5 MM bypass cable. Practically everything you need to make this work right out of the Box. For long haul trips, the battery will run for 12 hours. Shure has out done anything out in the market. It's too bad there is very little acknowledgement for the effort and outcome they have accomplished with this device.

I've never looked back.

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 16
Interesting observations @onevoguer. I agree with your assessment of the Mojo (it's a bad pairing with any smartphone on account of its susceptibility to interference noise) and the AK320 (very polished, very good sound, but also very expensive). The KSA900 price has dropped since I originally wrote that $999 was way too much for a device like this, but the market hasn't stood still and now at "only" $899, it's still way overpriced. You can get FiiO DAPs (like the X7) that have USB DAC capabilities, match the SQ of the AK320, are half the price of the KSA900 and also have way more features, such as streaming and full Android device capabilities. I don't think it's a coincidence that the KSA900 has had very little love here - or elsewhere. Competing with the likes of the (much more compact and convenient) Dragonfly Red, its price point needs to be much closer to ~$300 to expect this to sell.

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 16
Price-point wise, I agree. The market for this unit is a niche market at best. I have BTW owned and recently sold a FiiO Alpen amp which I purchased in Singapore as well back in '10. Interesting thing is, I sold it for about the same price I paid! No regrets there, it was a great purchase and I believe would offer superior performance to a dragonfly, though I can only guess that to be the case. My humble suggestion is that you try the Shure DAC before you make up your mind about the price. If you have invested well in your IEMs or Cans, you owe yourself the opportunity to bring the most out of them. Good luck and thanks for your response.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #9 of 16
Great feedback and lots of very good points. I dont know if a lot of folks have read about the process Shure went through in developing both the SHA900 and KSE1500. An extremely long development which is why the Dac is only capable of 24/96 decoding. Which in most cases is not a big deal. It is a great sounding piece. I do prefer the sound of the Chord Mojo, but yes ergonomically it is not a great fit for the iPhone users. The SHA900 is Apple MFI certified which allows a single lightning cable for connection and it is shaped better for combining with an iPhone. It was also designed primarily for IEMs. The EQ options make for a very ideal match with their and other branded IEMs that could use a little shaping. 

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 19, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 16
  I feel obliged to respond because this great product is not getting the recognition it deserves on Headfi, YouTube or anywhere else for that matter. I'm not affiliated with Shure and there is no financial incentive for me to write about its products. But I am a long time enthusiast of HiFi audio since the Mid-80s when I fell in love with the sound of ReVox speakers. 
I will address the open questions..

I've never looked back.

Very nice post, thnx for sharing!

I was really looking forward to buy the SHA900 (to pair with my SE846), contacted the local distributor in Dubai: SHA900 availability in Dubai = ZERO.
After a "slight push" from my side they ordered 1 pc for me to try (..I was pleased) and then nothing, nothing fo 2 months .. 3 months ..
Waiting patiently for the SHA to arrive I entered Dubai Audio (Chord distributor), they let me try the Mojo for almost 1 hour, with my SE846 and Audeze Sine + a few higher end cans they had in store. The sound was simply amazing.. I was sold ..bought the Mojo.

I really wanted to buy the SHA900, I still think it fits much better a phone+SE846 configuration.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #14 of 16
  I have this amp in my list, but reconsider it. Is it worth the price?

If an Apple device like an iPhone/iPad/iTouch is your main device and you primarily use IEMs then yes it is worth considering. I would not typically use for full-size headphones. The EQ is great for tailoring IEMs to go above and beyond their frequency abilities. It is super quite for IEMs as well.

May 24, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #15 of 16
Very nice post, thnx for sharing!

I was really looking forward to buy the SHA900 (to pair with my SE846), contacted the local distributor in Dubai: SHA900 availability in Dubai = ZERO.
After a "slight push" from my side they ordered 1 pc for me to try (..I was pleased) and then nothing, nothing fo 2 months .. 3 months ..
Waiting patiently for the SHA to arrive I entered Dubai Audio (Chord distributor), they let me try the Mojo for almost 1 hour, with my SE846 and Audeze Sine + a few higher end cans they had in store. The sound was simply amazing.. I was sold ..bought the Mojo.

I really wanted to buy the SHA900, I still think it fits much better a phone+SE846 configuration.

I recently started working for/with Samma3a.com doing numerous product reviews. Shure invited me to their Middle East office a bit more than a week ago where they gave me a couple of products to try/review...SE435, SHA900, and SRH1540. Shure doesn't sell the items directly to the public, but there is only one shop that distributes Shure products to this market (https://www.nmkelectronics.com, and Samma3a gets Shure products from them too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back