Shanling Streamers - EM5 & NEW EA5 Plus
Dec 23, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #241 of 896
A few more days with my E5, for poops and grins, I switched out the power chord with one my “python like,” Audioquest power cables, and attached it to one of my Power Wedges. Oh my, the background is deep, deep black, the music spring up from within the stage, with the EE EVO the stage is wide, deep, and with excellent height; this may be the best I've heard with the EVO. This is a clean, highly musical presentation, listening to the Cambridge Choir Christmas Album, each singer has their place in space, layered, goosebumps-inducing.

I'm so happy I didn't give up on the EM5, yes, it's still buggy, Eddict doesn't work with my iPhone (only iPad), but the sonics are worth the trouble, and I'm confident that Shanling will improve the functionality.
SQ through innate streaming app or through USB dac?

Dec 23, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #242 of 896
I'm using the Eddict Ap on my iPad and using the EM5 as a stand-alone unit.

Dec 24, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #243 of 896
Because power isn't everything. At Shanling (And also at our OEM level), our design approach is to have better sounding and better measuring devices with less background noise, than to just push for raw power. Same goes for our portable players, desktop amplifiers and even our integrated and mono amplifiers.

I'm still thinking about getting one. It's still a neat solution for a bedroom setup where I don't want to bother with a stack , cables and a streaming Device.

I will wait a bit till more reviews show up or till more people here mention what headphones they are using with the EM5.

Especially looking for people with Planar Magnetic headphones like the aeon 2 / hifiman Arya , audeze .

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #244 of 896
I'm still thinking about getting one. It's still a neat solution for a bedroom setup where I don't want to bother with a stack , cables and a streaming Device.

I will wait a bit till more reviews show up or till more people here mention what headphones they are using with the EM5.

Especially looking for people with Planar Magnetic headphones like the aeon 2 / hifiman Arya , audeze .

That's exactly what I am using it for, as a bedside, standalone unit. Later I'll test it in my main system feeding a WA5 and an A90, perhaps feeding a SMSL V2 DAC.

Merry Christmas, and peace on earth to all!

Dec 26, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #246 of 896
Anyone has experience connecting this to external Dac?I am thinking of connecting to smsl vmv d1se using xlr. Wonder how's dac performance compared to smsl.

Thanks.

I have the same DAC, V2; I'll try it out tomorrow.

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #247 of 896
Anyone has experience connecting this to external Dac?I am thinking of connecting to smsl vmv d1se using xlr. Wonder how's dac performance compared to smsl.

Thanks.

I'm really curious why you would get the EM5 if you are not going to use the internal DAC?

I get that someone would use a external amp for more power or a different flavour.

The streamer doesn't seem to unique enough to prefer it over a raspberry pi / bluesound node.

And I can't imagine you are buying it for the amp.

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #248 of 896
I'm really curious why you would get the EM5 if you are not going to use the internal DAC?

I get that someone would use a external amp for more power or a different flavour.

The streamer doesn't seem to unique enough to prefer it over a raspberry pi / bluesound node.

And I can't imagine you are buying it for the amp.
Well. I already have mac mini m1 > vmv1 d1se > gustard h20 > goldplanar gl1200 / sony z7. My thought if u can replace macmini with this em5. I would love to hear that impression from @Wildcatsare1 as he has same dac. If no or little different, I think I will be em5 > gustard h20 > goldplanar gl1200 / sony z7. I will either sell vmv or connect it to marantz sa8003 via digital tos in the living room.

The idea is to listen to music plus Apple Music without computer. I use Apple music hence my interest with em5. My other source are dsd and flac on hdd.

Bonus will be when /if em5 can deliver enough headroom for driving gl1200, which I doubt from paper spec.
First world problem. 😂

Thanks

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #249 of 896
Well. I already have mac mini m1 > vmv1 d1se > gustard h20 > goldplanar gl1200 / sony z7. My thought if u can replace macmini with this em5. I would love to hear that impression from @Wildcatsare1 as he has same dac. If no or little different, I think I will be em5 > gustard h20 > goldplanar gl1200 / sony z7. I will either sell vmv or connect it to marantz sa8003 via digital tos in the living room.

The idea is to listen to music plus Apple Music without computer. I use Apple music hence my interest with em5. My other source are dsd and flac on hdd.

Bonus will be when /if em5 can deliver enough headroom for driving gl1200, which I doubt from paper spec.
First world problem. 😂

Thanks

Did you consider replacing the Gustard H20? The EM5 might be even better than the H20 if you go by real measurements.

Seems to be weaker than the THX 789

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-gustard-h20-headphone-amp.7402/

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #252 of 896
An option yes. If I end up with only one device, Its even better. I need to try first.

Will be looking for something else. I'm not that excited about the DAC, Headphone amp and the closed android OS.

My living room DAC streamer (Cambridge cxn V2) supports all major streaming apps, Chromecast and Roon.

My wife really wanted a MacBook air to replace our old laptop so I guess I will just get something that is Roon ready for my second setup.

The matrix mini i3 pro looks promising with airplay support, Roon and has a top of the line DAC + a stronger headphone amp

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #254 of 896
Will be looking for something else. I'm not that excited about the DAC, Headphone amp and the closed android OS.

My living room DAC streamer (Cambridge cxn V2) supports all major streaming apps, Chromecast and Roon.

My wife really wanted a MacBook air to replace our old laptop so I guess I will just get something that is Roon ready for my second setup.

The matrix mini i3 pro looks promising with airplay support, Roon and has a top of the line DAC + a stronger headphone amp
Interesting that I decide to use my iPad as transport For now. I shall wait for next year and hope something else will be releases. Em5 is the first desktop with Apple Music app I don’t think it will be the last. I am I different with the android actually. I tried matrix but was not excited about.

Dec 29, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #255 of 896
Interesting that I decide to use my iPad as transport For now. I shall wait for next year and hope something else will be releases. Em5 is the first desktop with Apple Music app I don’t think it will be the last. I am I different with the android actually. I tried matrix but was not excited about.

Using a iPad or the MacBook is a option as well. Or just get a cheap Streamer like the Argo Solo that does Roon, Chromecast and airplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back