New Shanling Personal CD player.
Jul 24, 2007 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jwilldermood

100+ Head-Fier
Jul 24, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 16
Interesting that it uses the PCM1738. That's the previous-generation advanced segment converter, which has since been replaced, I think, by the PCM1796.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 16
Wow, that really looks excellent. Has a decent DAC, considering. I'm not totally wild about opamps, but it takes some dedication to put an ALPS pot on the headphone out of a $500 cdp. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this sooner.

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 16
The styling reminds me a lot of the Parasound Z series stuff. Looks like it might be a bit of a sleeper CDP.

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 16
Looks interesting.

However, I am confused (normal) about the DAC used -- it is supposed to be an SACD DAC, according to what I googled-up about it.

Everywhere else I look, I see info about SACD/CD players, where the SACD DAC is different from the CD DAC -- so, in this case, an SACD DAC will work with non-SACD CD's?

Can I assume this player should give excellent SQ with CD's?

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 16
I've been looking for a small-sized CDP that I can use as a transport with my external DAC and amp, and it appears that this Shanling player could fit the bill since it has a coax digital output. The information from the Audio Advisor webpage says that it uses a Philips CD711 servo system. I'm not familiar at all with it -- is this a reliable transport?

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I see the word "personal" I think "portable" which this isn't.

True; I had the same reaction. But the emphasis on the quality of the headphone amp suggests that it is positioned for headphone listening, and I think that makes calling it a PCDP less of a stretch.

Actually, what I was really hoping for was a portable with digital output. Does anyone even make one anymore? I could kick myself, because iRiver sold out their remaining inventory on a PCDP with a digital out for the absurd price of $35 via their clearance store online. It was the SlimX 550, I think. Like I said, I could kick myself.

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 16
Interesting. I also was surprised to see that it was not portable with its given name.

However, this could be a great option for the office, bedroom. I have the makings of a great little listening area in my bedroom in front of the fireplace, but I clearly do not have the room for a full fledged system. However with this, just get some good cans and this lil CDP and you're set.

I think I might get one.

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 16
My spidey sense for digital sources is tingling, this is not a good sign!
tongue.gif

/wallet jumps out of pocket, scrambles over to AudioAdvisor, tries to auto-buy it, but alas in vain

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I assume this player should give excellent SQ with CD's?

I'd be suprised if they sounded "excellent" on CD. If so, all other players would be severely overpriced. The company makes some more expensive players that do sound excellent though.

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be suprised if they sounded "excellent" on CD. If so, all other players would be severely overpriced. The company makes some more expensive players that do sound excellent though.

They also make some (IMHO) very gaudy pieces of equipment, which no doubt attract buyers on their looks alone. I don't think we can discount the possibility that "all their other players are seriously overpriced" without having heard this one.

Jul 30, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #15 of 16
This CD player looks to be part of a series that includes a $325 Headphone Amp and $400 Pre-Amp/Headphone Amp. [A quick forum search found a few references: one, two (w/pics of the PH100 amp), three.]

There's a nice picture of all three components here.

Audio Advisor may have made a mistake in the listing. Notice that the description text calls it the PCD300A, while it's called the PCD3000A in the heading and item number. Shanling's site refers to it as the PCD300A. Spearit Sound and Savant Audio also use the third zero, so who knows?

I came here looking for an inexpensive, compact bedside system to drive my ten-year-old HD580s and had tentatively settled on the Marantz CD5001. This stuff looks very tempting, though.

-Bob

[Edit: This post was meant as a general reply to thread, not specifically to gz76.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back