New sexy budget iRiver E50
Dec 10, 2008 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

walkingman

Headphoneus Supremus
New sexy budget iRiver E50 that will be available in 2, 4 and 8GB versions. It has a 1.8" LCD screen with what I personally think is a disappointing 176x220 resolution. Features includes FM radio/recorder, microphone, 10-band EQ with support for MP3, OGG, FLAC, WMA and WAV audio playback. Batery life is 52 hours. Dimensions is 38.8 x 88 x 7.7mm in sexy brushed aluminium. The 4GB version will cost €69.

Controls/Interface looks a bit like the D-click with some improvements. I really do like the design. This was what the E100 should have looked like.

irivere501.jpg

From generationmp3 via Engadget

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 14
I don't know why but I find that thing extremely attractive from a design standpoint. Even the UI is minimalist and clean-lined. Very cool looking.

The important question is though, what does it sound like? I suppose we won't know until it's released.

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #10 of 14
Amazing battery life, the interface doesn't look that terrible, functionality is what counts. If they can make it work with that design and implement microsd support, then I'd say its a contender as a playback only no-nonsense player.

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wasn't the E100 a disappointment, SQ wise? I never heard it (though I read a lot about it), but the plastic body was enough to put me off it...

The E100s sound was fine , good even. Reviewers didnt really get the unit, the poor screen didnt help or the crap speakers. I compared it to a Iriver X20 , Clip and my X5 and it was clearly better than the X20 (it didnt distort) , it wasnt far off the Clip at all , it just had a smaller soundstage mainly due to seperation not being as distinct.
I think this unit looks nice and its cheap, unfortunately it is just another blah blah player in a market being slowly destroyed by Apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back