New Setup
Dec 3, 2017 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Lucky1

New Head-Fier
I Currently own a set of Hifiman HE400S (no amp or dac, just an old receiver) , and while I do enjoy the detail, I find myself a bit board with them, and find them quite bass light. I was considering selling them off and purchasing a DAC/Amp combo and a new set of headphones that are a bit more lively. I'm looking for
1. Open back over ear
2. Around $400-$500 USD for headphones
3. Around $120-$250 USD for DAC/Amp

What would you guys recommend? I remember trying the HD700's and being impressed and they are sitting in that range.

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 12
Make sure you take into account which amp the 700 were using. Many people love them but they sound like hollow tin cans out of my Jotunheim :/

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 12
For headphones in the range of 400 to 500 dollars, I would say Hifiman HE560 is probably your best bet to go. Also, I have heard many great things about beyerdynamics Amiron Home as well. But I’ve never owned either of those to say anything more about them. However, if you would like to pay a little bit more for greatness, I’m really satisfied with Audioquest Night hawk Carbon, a headphone that I wouldn’t necessarily characterize as linear and accurate but definitely engaging and fun.

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Maybe first upgrade the AMP/DAC and see how the 400S's change with that upgrade, it may make quite a difference. Something like a Magni/Modi stack. As far as headphones are concerned, maybe Senn HD650 or 660S. I've never owned them personally but have listened to the 650 and it' might be a bit more fun and would save a bit of money.

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 12
+1 on Magni 3/Modi 2 ($200 total) plus the Hifiman 560 or something by Beyer. The 400i is apparently more exciting than the S but that's more of a side grade

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 12
Can you guys recommend anything other than the he-560, the conversion rates in Australia put these at almost $800 USD
What about from eBay or something? I've heard that the Fidelio X2 is fun.

Dec 5, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 12
What would an LCD2C cost you? Your 400S is a good / great headphone but is far from the slam and bass depth of the earlier LCD2 style of which the LCD2C is a revival of.

The 700 is a more scooped sound than the fairly even-keeled 400. The bass is fairly snappy and tight in the 700 but doesn’t go deep - I personally love it though.

Was just at a meet and got to have a good listen to both HE400S and HE560. 560 are better and overall just great headphones. 400 is extremely good value but lacking a bit of refinement. My LCD2 early rev1 I still preferred for its dark yet very clear character and its bass has noticeably more slam/extension than the 560/400 - without having to resort to a midbass hump. Both 400/560 were much lighter than the LCD2 - but a bit cramped for my larger ears. He560 could be endgame though for some as I feel it was just kinda even keeled at everything - almost boring but in the right way if that makes sense. Good technicalities too for the HE560.

I’d say enjoy your 400S though. Everything has a bit of trade off.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 12
Really well actually, the LCD2C converts to roughly $610 USD, and I can get the HD 700's for $500 USD, tried the 700's again today with the modi/magni stack that was recommended above but was very happy. I don't know how I'd cope with the comfort/weight of the LCD2C's but I'm now eager to give them a try
Btw what do you mean by a scooped sound?

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 12
Really well actually, the LCD2C converts to roughly $610 USD, and I can get the HD 700's for $500 USD, tried the 700's again today with the modi/magni stack that was recommended above but was very happy. I don't know how I'd cope with the comfort/weight of the LCD2C's but I'm now eager to give them a try
Btw what do you mean by a scooped sound?

Awesome. By scooped sound I meant eb HD700 isn’t traditionally linear. This is by no means a bad thing as it is intentionally designed in part to create the amazing atmosphere it has. They are still balanced and can be very engaging.

It is more spacious than the LCD2. if you like them then go for them.

The HD700 is my most listened to can - for a host of reasons. I even got an inexpensive aftermarket cable that is shorter for desktop use. So comfortable too.

Still, the LCD2 is a whole different animal. It has real soul to it. Whereas the HD700 is a futuristic take on the dynamic driver headphone.

Lastly, if you really really want the best bass from an open back in that price range the LCD2C will be tough to beat.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #12 of 12
Had a chance to try out some today, tried the focal elear, LCD 2. How does the lcd2c compare to the original with comfort? While I did enjoy the sound, the headband was crap imo and they were heavy
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2 classic is not made of wood and doesn't have the Fazor technology so it should be lighter. It's probably gonna be heavy anyway. Also worth noting, the Classic comes with a much better head band than the LCD2. I replaced my LCD2 stock head band with the carbon fiber one (a step up from the LCD2 Classic headband but still same design) and it was miles better. The Classic should beat the stock LCD2 in comfort pretty easily but it's still gonna be relatively heavy compared to headphones from Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back