New setup
Mar 1, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #16 of 20
I don't really have a lot of experience in the headphone amplifier world. The reason I decided I liked the Blockhead was people reviews around here. I will take a closer look at the Balanced Reference series. Maybe I could find a place to listen to them. Anyone know of any places in Colorado that would allow me to do this. Thanks again for all of your help.

Mar 1, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #17 of 20
headphone amplifiers (especially ones usually discussed here... and even more so for balanced ones) are not readily available unfortunately and about the only way to test them is to test another person's setup at a meet or at their home, or possibly request for a demo unit from the manufacturer....

Mar 1, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #18 of 20
I do know that Headroom has a 30 day return policy, I could always take advantage of that. I'm really excited to hear these HD650's amplified really well.

Mar 1, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Just wondering out loud here but do you really want to stay with the computer as your source with a amp/headphone combo like the blockhead/650/Zu?? That rig begs for a truly nice source up stream. JMO of course.

Funny you should say that as I am thinking of picking up one. Then convert the RS-1's and PS-1's in to balanced headphones.....
rs1smile.gif

Didn't you once post a thread on it?

Mar 1, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #20 of 20
I would propose this setup:
Either RME PCI Interface (for a Desktop) or RME Cardbus Interface (for a Laptop)
--> RME Digiface (external I/O box) --> Neutrik Adapter/Converter (In: SPDIF unbalanced 75Ohm, Out SPDIF balanced, 110Ohm) --> Lavry Blue D/A Converter --> Balanced Analog Out --> Blockhead --> Sennheiser HD 650

RME (rme-audio.com) makes really good interfaces, the appropriate software (drivers, utilities) is excellent too. Though I would not go for an RME D/A converter.

The Lavry Blue is a bit more expensive (ca. $1400) than the DAC1 and it has only AES/EBU 110Ohm Digital input and only balanced analog outputs. But the Lavry sounds absolutely fantastic (lavryengineering.com).

regards
Townes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back