New setup
Feb 26, 2005 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

officerdoofy

New Head-Fier
Alright I'm trying to decide on how to setup everything for my setup. I am thinking that I will be going with the Blockhead as my amp because that seems to be one of the nicest headphone amplifiers out there. I currently am using the HD650's as my cans and think I will use those in the new setup. From there I would like to use my computer as my source. I was thinking that I would use the digital out on my Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. I want to get a DAC with a balanced output that would be able to keep up with the BlockHead. Does anyone have some good ideas for a DAC? Is there anything you would reccomend to make this setup better. I would like to use my computer as the source, but will change my soundcard if necessary. Thanks.

Feb 27, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 20
Alright, I think that I am going with the DAC1. After researching it a little bit the DAC1 seems to a pretty good deal and also has Balanced outputs. The question now is if everyon thinks it is worth it for me to get a BlockHead or a Max. Or is there any other amps in that range you would reccomend?

Feb 28, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 20
You can use the balanced outputs from the DAC1. If you want to use non-balanced, check into another amp. In the price-range you mention, it would be very tough to beat a Dynahi amp.

Feb 28, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 20
If you select the Blockhead remember that you will need to get your Senn's rewired.

Feb 28, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 20
Add a E-MU 404 to the the Audigy. So you can use the optical out of the E-MU for Music and the Audigy for the Rest. A worthy upgrade IME.

Mar 1, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 20
Thanks for the replies everyone.

First does everyone think that the best bang for the buck in DACs is the DAC1? I think that is what I will go with, but I'de like some more opinions.

Also, If I were to go with the Blockhead would I see a difference between that and say, a Max? I would have the DAC1 that could feed either balanced or non-balanced so that is not an issue.

Finally, would everyone consider the E-MU 404 one of the better soundcards to use when going with a digital out to a DAC? I would be willing to spend more for the soundcard if it would make a difference. I'm trying to get a really nice setup and if the souncard isn't nice that will limit the potential of everything else.

Thanks again for your help.

Mar 1, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 20
the DAC1 has great jitter reduction (removal?) and from what I've read, doesn't seem to matter what transport you use with it so probably the Audigy 2 ZS is fine. maybe I'll compare the Audigy 2 ZS and RME Hammerfall DSP 9632 optical outs to the DAC1 later on. so many things to do.
tongue.gif

you can read the recent UK meet and probably there'll be some impressions on the Max versus BlockHead since they had those two. my opinion is I don't like the HD650 unless it is being driven balanced. (and only get to the point where I would really want to listen to it when it is driven by the BlockHead... at least with the equipment I tried so far with it. still waiting for a friend to get his dynahi so I can try that.) others have different opinions of course so read up on that since it seems you are considering the BlockHead only because I said I like it?

and from your previous thread....
Quote:

Originally Posted by officerdoofy
I think I have decided that I will go with another seperate amp (most likely the blockhead).

wow, you were talking about using the amp inside the DAC1 so I assumed your budget didn't include items such as a blockhead.
tongue.gif
I don't know if it is the best amp for the HD650, but so far is the best I've tried myself.

Mar 1, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 20
So maybe I go with the following:

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS -> Bechmark DAC1 -> Headroom Blockhead -> Sennheiser HD650's with a Zu cable

or

Hammerfall HDSP 9632 -> Bechmark DAC1 -> Headroom Blockhead -> Sennheiser HD650's with a Zu cable

What are everyones thoughts on these two setups. Maybe I wait for the comparison between the two opticals. Thanks for everyone's help.

*EDIT*

Was changing the model of the Hammerfall.

Mar 1, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 20
I own that exact setup. You can read some soon to be updated impressions here

Mar 1, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 20
Just wondering out loud here but do you really want to stay with the computer as your source with a amp/headphone combo like the blockhead/650/Zu?? That rig begs for a truly nice source up stream. JMO of course.

Mar 1, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 20
The DAC1/Blockhead holds its own against the Cary306/Blockhead. The sound is a little less colored and the bottom end lacks the Cary punch, but the highs are crisper and there is better instrument separation. I like the Cary a tad more, but with a retail price 1/4 that of the Cary's, the Dac1 is an excellent front end and a great value.

If you have a quiet computer and a good dac you wont be disappointed.

Mar 1, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 20
the RME card is enormously overkill if you are using it just for optical out (IMO at least). I have one since it was my analog source for a while... but if you really want to get a high end professional soundcard the EMU 0404 or 1212 should be more than enough, especially if you are only using the optical out. some companies offer modifications to the 1212 specifically to improve the optical out performance, though it probably wouldn't matter with the DAC1's superb jitter reduction.

btw EyEPoD (if you haven't noticed already)... I'm borrowing raif's DAC1 so I can almost recreate your setup. lol. still like my Accuphase DP-85 driving the BlockHead a lot more over the DAC1, but as you say, the DAC1 is very good for the price.

Mar 1, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #14 of 20
Lately Ive been debating whether to keep the Dac1. For the money I think it is an incredible source. I also like it's small form factor, as it really saves desk space being able to simply place it atop the blockhead.

The last thing I did with all the gear was to compare the Cary and the Dac1 with the blockhead. Im thinking the Dac1 may be a little thin and a bit too sterile for my tastes. The only two front ends I'm considering, though, are about 6 times the price of the Dac1 and outweigh the dac tenfold. This has me trying to appreciate the setup I have, as I have compromised little in sound quality for huge gains in convenience
smily_headphones1.gif

Ultimately, I think the Dac1 is a good match for the blockhead; it's a clean, neutral front end for a good price. Ill save my money until I have the space for a standalone racked system.

Mar 1, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 20
officerdoofy - what made you choose the BlockHead? there are a lot of other options if you want a balanced amplifier, such as the Gilmore Balanced Reference, which is a very nice balanced amplifier that goes for half the price of the BlockHead. a different sound, and you might actually prefer the sound of the Balanced Reference over the BlockHead. (I'm actually liking the Balanced Reference a lot with the HD650 now that I listened to it again, don't know which I like more.) the looks of the Balanced Reference could probably be customized if you don't like it too much....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back