new setup with 4000
Dec 27, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
Chef, I thought you already had the best dynamic headphone on earth?

biggrin.gif

Stop turning this into a flamefest. Chefguru, it would do you some good to listen to what people have to say, especially when they are kindly offering advice.

Dec 27, 2003 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

You told me to get a cheaper headphone and spend more money on the source and then when you found a quote of me agreeing you argued against it. Decent advice my ass. Stop wasting your time posting , your not helping.

Okay. I don't know why I bothered in the first place. What the hell do I care?
confused.gif

Happy holidays.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #21 of 30
Unless you're willing to experiment a bit, I really cannot recommend the W2002. It took me a couple of days worth of listening, the first few hours of that being "What the hell...?", to decide that it was worth keeping, but I had to drastically tweak either my source or my amp, affecting the available resolution from those two as little as possible. I went to a friend and we went through a few tries before I was totally satisfied.

The 2002 can be very smooth and is capable of bringing out nuances in the music that phones like the RS-1 couldn't do. It's not so much a matter of driving them properly, but getting a source+amp that's as cold and as precisely resolved as possible that it would practically sound boring on the RS-1... that's nearly how far you have to go. I haven't heard the modded Sugden but I was underwhelmed with the standard Sugden + W2002 combination.

After having had tantalising tastes of an SR-007 on a Mark Levinson 390S CDP I'm going the Stax way early in the new year... I don't think I can quite justify a source upgrade to match the Stax, so it will have to stay the relatively low-end players that I have now. The Stax redefined how things can sound from a phone, in that headphone way. I think that when you hear quality like that, worries about whether the midrange is sweet or not might disappear... But the proof is in the using. Why not take the plunge, or try and hear a set somewhere?

Dec 27, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #22 of 30
Here's where I would go with this:

Stax SR404 $400 thru EIFL
KGSS built by zzz contact him for pricing
Shanling CD-T100 - check Audiogon for pricing
W Enterprise NW MUSIC Timbre cabling - under $250 for a 1M run

This will leave you more than enough left over to put some money into modding the CDP at your leisure.

Dec 28, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Is someone offering you an R10 for $1700? If so, that's a pretty damn good price!

I want to get one R10 for $1700 too. Where do you find the seller?

Dec 28, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #24 of 30
I just got back from my friend's place ( he has a r10 and omega II). I have heard the r10 before but for some reason this time it seemed a little bit calmer ( possibly the CD choice). I deff like the r10 a lot but am having a hard time justifying it's price even if I can get it for 1700 shipped. The Omega II on the other hard was nothing like I thought it would be. The head stage was bigger then the r10 (although the sound stage of the r10 was bigger) and it felt very realistic.... very. I am not really sure which I prefer though.. I'm not a really big fan of electrostatic and prefer a good dynamic headphone but the omega II felt semi- dynamic for some reason. Possibly because of it's dynamic look ( compared to the Sr-202 - Sr-404 and older stax's). I prefer the r10's mid range but the omega's detail was a lot more complex and spacious, very beautiful. The only problem with the omega II I have is that it REALLY need's a good source / cables / amp where with the r10 I could prob get away with a some what cheaper amp. The omega II opened new door's for me but if the Sr-404 is just a dubbed down version of the omega II I think I would rather go r10.

Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
I want to get one R10 for $1700 too. Where do you find the seller?

I saw a guy on audiogon with a r10 for 1700, i've got his email around here some where. I'm pretty sure he still has it, but i'll find out .

Dec 28, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #25 of 30
What about the Sennheiser HE 60? Uncledan's buddy icon made me think about it. How much does it cost , where can I find one , and how does it perform compared to r10, l3000, and omega II ? I LOVE the orpheus but I could never spend 15k on a amp/headphone, maybe the baby orpheus is my dream setup!

Dec 28, 2003 at 3:37 AM Post #26 of 30
The Jupiter is a good CD player but I don't think it's up to the level of the headphones you mentioned, unless you're trying to make them sound warmer at the cost of some resolution. I think a used Linn Genki would be a better buy. I love the Linn Ikemi but soundstaging is not Linn's thing--it's all about PRaT. To get as big a mid-range and soundstage as you want, I think your best bet is a tube amp. As for CD player, why not a used Audionote 3.1? I bet it will do what you want.

Dec 28, 2003 at 2:27 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
I'd get the L3000 because (1) you really want it; (2) you'll regret if you don't get it; and (3) even if you can someday buy it used, you'll miss out on that fresh leather smell.

lol yeah but... I could buy a r10 and Senn he60/hev70 for the price of it!

Dec 28, 2003 at 5:19 PM Post #30 of 30
Here is what I did:

Arcam FMJ CD33 -> Prehead -> R10

2000+800+1700 = 4500 euros. Plus rca cables worth 100 bucks = 4600 euros.

Result? Spectacular. Clarity, warmth, realism...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back