New setup, headphones...
Jan 10, 2009 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

opelfrik

New Head-Fier
Hi!

New member here!

Where to start? As i always loved to listen to headphones i never really have some high end gear/cans. But one year ago i deicide to go and get myself some high end cans and ended up buying DT880 (250ohm) with Asus Xonar D2 as source and Darkvioce 336 as amp. I think that its good setup but its not what was i expecting. I was used to more bass and maybe its the reason for that because previously i owned some Sennheiser HD270. But comparing DT880 to them is like there is NO bass from DT880 at all. On most of my music collection. No body, weight from that cans. Detail is fine but highs can be a bit hard on a lot of my music. So most of the time i find them to bass light or even no bass at all and with too much of highs. Way to bright sounding cans to really enjoy listening to them. There is no fun at all. Brighter that i was hoping. While detail of bass is great and overall SQ superb but there is no weight, body...

So i was thinking about whole new setup. I tried HD650 and liked them. More bass and less highs than DT880. Very clean, clear sound. Nice. Not so irritating to ears. Because i have maybe small amount of tinitus sometimes and listening with DT880 just kills my ears. But they are great with more warmer music.

So i have few options, questions:

First: is Xonar D2 good source? Should i buy standalone DAC?

Second: how good is Corda Cantate? Is better than Xonar as DAC?

Third: Any other DAC? Must be available in Europe.

And what do you think about this setups:

1. Corda Cantate.2 > Sennheiser HD650
2. Asus Xonar D2 as DAC? > Corda Arietta > HD650
3. Corda Cantate.2 > Denon D2000
4. Xonar D2 > Darkvoice 336 > Denon D2000
5. Xonar D2 > Corda Arietta > Denon D2000
6. Xonar D2 > Corda Arietta > HD650

Maybe different setup? And yes i am mostly looking at Sennheiser HD650 and Denon D2000 because i dont kknow what else is good in this price range.
I can get HD650 and also Denon D2000 for about the same price here in Europe. Both new.
But i am open for any other recommendation for cans. I will first buy cans and then DAC/AMP if its worth to buy separate DAC.

But what i am looking for is maybe more darker sound with more body in low end. More bass weight. I dont know really to describe.

Most important thing: mostly i listen to Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Dire Straits, Weather Report, Chick Corea, B. B. King, Clapton, Van der Graaf, Marillion, Mike Oldfield, Stevie Ray V., Santana... You get the idea. Mostly old rock, progressive and a small amount of metal but this is not so important because mainly i listen to old rock, proggresive, blues...

And important thing: NO Grado.
biggrin.gif
So what to buy? Thanks for help. I am new in this.

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 7
Yes i know that HD650 are good and maybe better than DT880. But problem is that i didnt listen to them enough because i was limited with time and also limited with music when i listened to them. But what i liked was actually nicer highs and good bass. Are they good with music i listen to? When i listened to them there was playing some blues/rock concert from dvd player connected to receiver. And i liked them. Should this be enough? I loved how whole thing sounded. Even without proper amp.

So if i go with HD650 i have one more question. Is Corda Cantate.2 good source connected to computer? Or is Xonar D2 and some amp enough? Because i am looking for good DAC so i dnot know how good is in Corda Cantate. Or is there even better cheaper DAC/AMP combination?
But first i wil buy headphones.

Thank you.
regular_smile .gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not consider the Asus Xonar Essence STX?

Do you think that it have good DAC? Even if i compare it to some standalone DACs? Yes that is an option if its that good DAC. But what amp should i get?

I want some SS amp for HD650 if i go with HD650. I think that just order Cantate for amp is a little expensive (400€).

Or should i consider D2000? I really dont know what would be best setup for me. As ive said its too expensive to order things from USA and other thing is that i cannot listen to D2000 or any other headphone (audio technica, ultrasone...). Only headphone that i listened was HD650.
So i am more on HD650 side because i liked them when i was listening to that blues, rock concert. But i dont know how they do with other music that i like.

I just want some dirrections where to look. Or where to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back