New setup, amp and headphones
Mar 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mikkelmmk93

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there.
I am about to buy my first setup and my budget is:
600 usd, 300 gbp, 400eur or 3000dkk.

I want full sized headphones, I am thinking about getting the Denon AH-D2000. I have listened to these and like them, they seemed to suffer from a bit of sibilance, but hey, I was using an ipod touch 2nd gen so might have been the cause.

I want an amp with dac, or both dac and amp since I dont think my build in dac is good enough.
It would be preferred if it was portable but could live without it.
I am thinking about the e7 or e17 here.

So what are youre thoughts here?

I've heard the Beyer DT770 80ohm Pro, like these, though I think they lack some mids.
I've got the Phonak Audeo PFE 122, which it would be nice if the amp could be used with these too.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 3
Well from my experience, and i own the D2k, sibilance is related to the amp/dac more then the can, i only experience a little bit when used with the ASUS Xonar Essence STX, which is a really bad pairing with the d2k, it makes it harsh and bloats the bass.

Other then that they are brilliant cans, i couldnt be happier, my phone can power them decently, but i do prefer to plug it into ANY receiver i have in the house, so if you have a number of old receivers then i wouldnt worry about amping them.

I am looking for a semi-portable DAC/AMP combo atm, but my needs are specific so i wont go into detail, but i have read that many do like how it pairs with the nuforce uDac, however this is where the sibilance comment probably started, as (as i have read) the uDac can be bright.

But honestly they are great headphones, balanced with good bass, and very comfortable. Had mine over a year, and still happy (unless i plug them into the Xonar that is)

if you are looking for a DAC/AMP then just watch the output impedance, ideally it should be <2ohm. The lower the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back