New Set Up - Your thoughts please!
Oct 11, 2017 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Grimbles

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

My current set up is (or more to the point, was) a dragonfly 1.2, running Shure SE 215s and 425s. Source is FLAC (mostly 96 or 192/24) and MP3s of varying quality collected over years, normally provided by an android phone, MacBook air or windows laptop. I recently lost my dragonfly, so am in the market!

I listen to a great variation of music, and prefer a reasonably neutral presentation.

Thoughts:

1) to replace the dragonfly for mobile use, I think I am going to go for the Chord Mojo - as far as I can see (based on reviews, but not yet having heard one) it is about the best DAC/amp for mobile use in its price bracket;

2) for the desk back at home, I think a Schiit Vali 2 (for now with the mojo to plug in, with the intention of buying a schiit multi bit DAC later down the line). At the risk of ridicule, I really like the look of valve amps, and have an old stereo one I inherited from my grandfather in the loft ("too big for the lounge" per the wife, but I love the sound it makes and one day it will migrate back to the mainstream); and

3) now for the most important part, a new pair of cans for my self indulgence. I am thinking Senny HD6xx/Shure SRH1540/Grado 325e - not worried about open backs as these will be for me in my office. Budget for these tops out at about £350.

I seriously welcome input on this, particularly alternative kit suggestions.

Cheers!

Oct 11, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 19
Firstly where in the UK are you, do you have anywhere near you that you can demo the equipment?

That would be my first suggestion.

Chord Mojo is great and very popular, you can't really go wrong with it. However I would actually suggest an upgraded IEM for the price of the Mojo, as the SE425 do scale up a bit but they reach a point. You'll get more out of a new pair of IEM's.

Something like the Oriveti New Primacy for only £250 outperforms the SE425, otherwise you have something like the Westone W30 for around £379.

Vali 2 would pair nicely with the Sennheiser HD600, the HD650 is overly dark for my tastes anyway, here you really need to try and demo the headphones (my choice would be the HD600 / German Maestro GMP400 / Grado SR325e)

Oct 11, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 19
Thanks oscar much appreciated. I live in birmingham but work in london a lot so should be able to demo. The 425s are a relatively recent purchase so im not rushing to upgrade them at the moment (though i take your point that the mojo can go further than they can).

Thanks re/the bigger cans. I think, as you say, i need to sit down and critically listen to them.

Oct 11, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 19
Thanks oscar much appreciated. I live in birmingham but work in london a lot so should be able to demo. The 425s are a relatively recent purchase so im not rushing to upgrade them at the moment (though i take your point that the mojo can go further than they can).

Thanks re/the bigger cans. I think, as you say, i need to sit down and critically listen to them.

In london you have audio sanctuary, as we are a little far down south (between worthing and brighton)

HD600 would be well worth a demo, the Grados have a very up front and aggressive sound but I love them for that.

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 19
In the price range you're looking, I'd suggest trying:

- a Beyer DT880
- an AKG Q701
- the HD600 and HD650
- the SRH1840

At one stage the DT880, K701 and HD600/650 made up the triple crown of audio. Its where I started - and all of them are exceptional. If you can demo each, it'll give you a good start.

For the DAC/amp - also consider the iFi iDSD.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 19
For the DAC/amp - also consider the iFi iDSD

Ive seen a couple of reviews and the ifi dsd looks pretty big. The plan is to use this amp for commutes and also when in the office (so portability is on my mind). The ifi looks cumbersome for this. Have you seen/touched one?

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 19
Sorry brook, should also have said thank you for your comments!

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 19
Yes - I have one, that’s why I recommended it. But if you’re concerned with portability then the Mojo would be better for you. I was thinking more of desktop situations where it really is ideal.

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 19
Cool. Understood and many thanks.

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 19
I don’t like the HD-6xx’s with the Mojo at all as I find the Mojo to be a bit warm and that just is too much for them IMO. For ever other headphone I have it does a really good job with. I for one will not ridicule you on the valve amps as I have a few and another coming in February and just bought a Schiit Freya tube pre amp for my two channel set up . Not a lot of good closed backs at that price range in my opinion unless you can find a used pair of Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs would probably go for your budget level. Would agree with Brooko on his suggestions other than Shure as I haven’t heard them and would throw in a HiFiMan HE-400S or 400i if you more neutral sound. A Oppo PM3 is in your budget for a closed can some people love them but not me I just found them to be a bit too boring for me. Have only heard the Vali once for a short time so will not comment on it but Schiit makes good stuff not a huge fan of some of their amps but the Mjolnir 2 is very good though and I think they have the best dac’s for the price as I have their big daddy Yggdrasil and love it.

Oct 11, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 19
I don’t like the HD-6xx’s with the Mojo at all as I find the Mojo to be a bit warm and that just is too much for them IMO. For ever other headphone I have it does a really good job with. I for one will not ridicule you on the valve amps as I have a few and another coming in February and just bought a Schiit Freya tube pre amp for my two channel set up . Not a lot of good closed backs at that price range in my opinion unless you can find a used pair of Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs would probably go for your budget level. Would agree with Brooko on his suggestions other than Shure as I haven’t heard them and would throw in a HiFiMan HE-400S or 400i if you more neutral sound. A Oppo PM3 is in your budget for a closed can some people love them but not me I just found them to be a bit too boring for me. Have only heard the Vali once for a short time so will not comment on it but Schiit makes good stuff not a huge fan of some of their amps but the Mjolnir 2 is very good though and I think they have the best dac’s for the price as I have their big daddy Yggdrasil and love it.

I second the mojo and HD6XX pair. They are too warm for me.

IMO modi multibit + magni 3 + HD6XX is a good desktop setup. You can keep mojo for portable use.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 19
1) to replace the dragonfly for mobile use, I think I am going to go for the Chord Mojo - as far as I can see (based on reviews, but not yet having heard one) it is about the best DAC/amp for mobile use in its price bracket;

2) for the desk back at home, I think a Schiit Vali 2 (for now with the mojo to plug in, with the intention of buying a schiit multi bit DAC later down the line). At the risk of ridicule, I really like the look of valve amps, and have an old stereo one I inherited from my grandfather in the loft ("too big for the lounge" per the wife, but I love the sound it makes and one day it will migrate back to the mainstream); and

3) now for the most important part, a new pair of cans for my self indulgence. I am thinking Senny HD6xx/Shure SRH1540/Grado 325e - not worried about open backs as these will be for me in my office. Budget for these tops out at about £350.

If you're going for a high sensitivity headphone like Grado or the HiFiMan HE400S, you can skip the desktop DAC and amp and just use the Mojo.

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #13 of 19
If you're going for a high sensitivity headphone like Grado or the HiFiMan HE400S, you can skip the desktop DAC and amp and just use the Mojo.

Thanks for your thoughts. Those hifimans look interesting, will try to have a listen to those too. Re/desktop, thats helpful for spreading costs for now, but the longer term plan is to build a collection of cans for home use, so i think ill still make this investment.

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 19
Thanks everyone for the advice. I bit the bullet and ordered (for the home setup) today:

Schiit modi uber and vali 2
Senny HD600 (listened to the 600, 650 and the sr325e in a local shop via an idsd, really took to the 600 over the others - felt rounder, fuller, warmer to my ear).

For the travel setup - went off piste and ordered a hidizs ap200. Bit of a punt/leap of faith, but reviews were good and it is v versatile. Will be interested to compare the sound it outputs v. the desk setup.

Piccies to follow :)

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #15 of 19
So the schiit arrived yesterday exactly. 3 days from the us to the uk? Epic! Unfortunately hifiheadphones in the uk sent me the wrong cans (hdr160 instead of hd600) so i havent had the chance to properly put it through its paces yet. I had 15 minutes listening last night on low gain with my se425s. Honestly sounded great... there is an openness and clarity ive just not heard before, but i realise i need much more time with it
Also looks fab. 20171027_072029.jpg

Quick q: with the vali on and nothing playing, there is an audible (fairly quiet) buzz, much louder in high gain. Is this to be expected (eg typical of a valve preamp)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back