New Sennheiser HD650s - Break In Help
Aug 26, 2014 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AuburnEagle23

Head-Fier
Hey there everyone, so after getting my HD650s in yesterday I have begun breaking them in with some pink noise at a bit above a comfortable volume.  Now from reading other posts on this topic in the forums it seems that a 100-200 hour break in period is suggested to get them sounding just right.  My question is, obviously I am breaking them in on my pc, and if that is the case I can't do other things on my pc that would typically require sound while I am playing pink noise through them.  Therefore, is it ok to use them for various things, like music/games/movies during the break in period, or will this deteriorate the potential of the headphones in the long run?  I have read some topics that if you listen to to much of the same frequencies of sound that the headphones will eventually get locked into that type of frequency.  If my terminology is incorrect in the question, I apologize, non-audiophile expert here.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 4
I hope that you are using an amp or have a sound card with an adequate amp built in.  If not, break-in techniques are not your major problem.

Most people still break cans in (if they do it intentionally) by simply using them--or at most running sounds through them while they sleep.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 4
Yes, currently have a Asus Xonar Essence STX powering them.

However, just got the AKG K712 Pros in and OH WOW, are they comfortable.  I thought that the HD650s felt good, but these things barely feel like they are on your head.  So far right out of the box I am having a hard time deciding which sound I like.  The K712s seem to have a bit large sound stage, voices and instruments seem to encompass the earcups all around.  Where as the HD650s seem to be right there on top of you, like you were right next to the artists.  Been listening to various types of music, classical, opera, pop, rock etc.

Anyone care to shed some light on there opinion of the 2 and differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back