New Sennheiser HD600's: The first few hours
Jan 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

drandall

Head-Fier
so, thanks to many people here at head-fi, i pulled the trigger on a new pair of sennheiser HD600's. below are a few basic thoughts for those who may be considering it...

1) i was glad to see the strength of the hinged box the phones came in. fully padded and very nice. great for storage after the fact

2) at first, i thought they hadn't included a 6.5mm to 3.5mm plug adapter. i felt like an idiot when i found it was already attached. d'oh!

3) the cord is really long. i have no idea HOW long, but it feels like miles. better to have too much than too little i guess

4) the L and R notations are so small and subtle that they're virtually invisible. annoying. forget reading them in low light (unless you're young).

4) with 320kbps AAC's through a nuforce Udac, the initial sound was better than any of my other headphones, but the highs were sharp and brittle, to the point of being harsh and the mids were forced and tense. bass was tight and shallow. i wondered prior to plugging them in whether i was going to detect what so many others had heard at first. i did. it's pretty apparent.

i loaded up a WAV playlist of 10-30000khz ramps plus some pink noise, courtesy of Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix and let it loop for a couple of hours. when i came back, i could tell that profound changes were happening. the sharpish highs were beginning to mellow and the bass was beginning to plump up and get rounder and fuller

as the night progressed, the sound got even better. the Udac is able to drive the 600's pretty well, but to fully immerse yourself in sound, you need to keep twisting the volume around to about the 2pm position which around 75% of its total output.

i plan to buy an amp to pair with the Udac. my initial feeling is that to maximize the quality of the DAC and bring out the best in these phones, i'm gonna need something with a bit more push.

that being said, i'm absolutely delighted with them. they're my first open headphones and i understand now why they rock...the airy, open sound is so listenable, so relaxed that it really makes for a great experience. i can't wait to see how these phones mature with more burn-in time and some additional power. my music collection never sounded better.

BTW, i sampled a variety of material. diana krall, dire straits, steely dan, alison krauss, armin van buuren, kaskade, anita baker, miles davis, EBTG, fleetwood mac. it all sounded great. haven't tried any harder rock yet...but i will this weekend.

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 19
Enjoy them, and congrats on your new cans!

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 19
I think the sharpness and brittleness is a result of result of the uDac. Hell it made my HD650 sound brittle and thats tough.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the sharpness and brittleness is a result of result of the uDac. Hell it made my HD650 sound brittle and thats tough.

I Agree. But that's certainly not a bad complementary effect
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Agree. But that's certainly not a bad complementary effect
biggrin.gif

Glad youre diggin it. I am definitely not, haha. Ok, that sounds far too negative. The dac is fine, but wow its piercing and too forward, keep in mind that I can handle 325i levels of highs and aggression.

Just goes to show that this is all a matter of personal taste.

EDIT: Of course the shrillness is quickly fixed with some EQing, in case that scares anyone from the $100 dac, its good buy overall (increased soundstage/separation/overall an improvement to built in audio). Didnt want to leave too negative of an impression for a product that is so cheap.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 19
Good choice drandall. The HD600 IMO are easily the best headphones overall in their price range. As much as EQ'ing appeals to you, don't listen to them with equalizers. I've used and experimented with different EQ's for over 4 years now and I've found that no matter how much you tweak you'll never get the headphones to sound better with EQs in the long run. You'll improve one aspect at the cost of something else important.

The best way to improve SQ right now is getting a high value amp like a Dynalo-based design (CKKIII, Gilmore Lite, Sheer Audio HA-006+ etc). This setup will get you reasonably close to some high-end headphone setups around here.
Acoustic-Fun <-- I would recommend this amp BTW. For the price, it's an excellent Dynalo design approved by the designer Kevin Gilmore himself.

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 19
There are a lot of people in both tube and ss amp camps for the HD650, I've always had ss amps so I can only speak to how they effect them. Im digging my c2c with them a lot. Tube may be a great way to go, especially for the price (its not too much of a risk).

As for EQing, theres nothing wrong with it. Your headphones arent flat, ie theyre effecting the sound just by existing. Also with some songs, bands, albums theres just too much high end, bottom end bloat. Not every album is produced perfectly so we gotta work with what we have. Nothing wrong with a little subtractive EQing. But thats really a whole other thread I guess.

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 19
Congratulations! Enjoy the HD600s.
smile.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good choice drandall. The HD600 IMO are easily the best headphones overall in their price range.
The best way to improve SQ right now is getting a high value amp like a Dynalo-based design (CKKIII, Gilmore Lite, Sheer Audio HA-006+ etc). This setup will get you reasonably close to some high-end headphone setups around here.
Acoustic-Fun <-- I would recommend this amp BTW. For the price, it's an excellent Dynalo design approved by the designer Kevin Gilmore himself.

thanks for the link. it looks like a excellent amp with quality construction. i'm not sure i want to sink $325 into my first amp. then again, maybe i should just bite the bullet and invest. it's hard to know which way to go....dip your toe or jump headfirst.

Jan 16, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #12 of 19
It's all relative. If you buy for budget now, you'll be wasting more money long term. The 600s sound will improve with better gear. Save and buy once.

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's all relative. If you buy for budget now, you'll be wasting more money long term. The 600s sound will improve with better gear. Save and buy once.

^ Good advice.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by drandall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4) the L and R notations are so small and subtle that they're virtually invisible. annoying. forget reading them in low light (unless you're young).

There are three raised "dots" on the left cup, near the L notation.

So you can tell which side is which, even in pitch black
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonshowers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are three raised "dots" on the left cup, near the L notation.

So you can tell which side is which, even in pitch black
wink.gif

wow. i had no idea. thanks for telling me about this. outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back