New Sennheiser HD 650 Feedback
Apr 16, 2008 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

zanavi

New Head-Fier
Hi. Just received my new pair of Sennheiser HD 650. Have not listened to them yet. I mostly listen to Beyerdynamic DT 880 when possible. Was surprised that the Sennheiser HD 650 is made in Ireland now or at least the pair that I received; was expecting them to have been made in Germany like the Beyerdynamic's. Out of curiosity, where are your current HD 650's manufactured and your impression of material quality and finish? To be honest, I'm a bit underwhelmed from my initial visual impression. I was expecting them to be at least at the level of the Beyerdynamic. Overall, I've been impressed by the material and finish quality of the Sony SA5000's. The AKG 701 looks nice too (haven't gotten around to taking it out of the shrink wrap). I understand that the sound quality is more important but fit and finish of materials tend to enhance the ownership experience. Curious what your thoughts are. Also, I think my inexpensive beater Panasonic RP-HTX7 (made in China) has pretty clean aesthetics and finish quality. Grado's (SR80) and Alessandro's (MS1) are pretty much utilitarian eyesores and a bit uncomfortable. Not much of an audiophile, more curious about others' musings and impressions about certain products. This site is like an alternate reality wormhole where time and money tend to vanish pretty quick and mysteriously
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 22
Wow, nice to see a first post finally!

I have only used the HD650 briefly before a couple years ago but I thought the build quality was decent at the time.

The build quality on the Stax SR404 though really bothers me... the plastic arms holding the drivers to the headband are so flimsy on my pair that the earcups end up falling off sometimes when I am putting them on or taking them off my head.

The AKG701 I have also only used briefly but I recall being pleasantly surprised with the heft, aesthetics and comfort of them. The SA5000 feel even more solid.

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 22
dt990/880/770 are the most solidly built headphones i've ever used. on first sight, they don't seem anything special but after using them for some time you come to realize these cans are tanks that refuse to break.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 22
actual:

smily_headphones1.gif
mostly been lurking and reading a lot . Do you think the sound of the Stax outweighs the design/material frustration?

shahrose:

same impressions here; so impressed with my first DT 880 that I purchased a second backup set during the clearance for the new 2005 models; still my favorite ones; seem like they can take alot though i still baby them; sa5000's seem too pretty and nice for regular use
smily_headphones1.gif
How are the DT 990's? Still have an itch to get the new DT 880 and DT 990 to see how the sound signature is different.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 22
First off my HD650s were made in Ireland like yours. At first they were TIGHT as hell. Seriously it was like a death grip on them...after a few hours of research on good old HeadFi, i found out how to loosen them up. They are 100% more comfortable now.

As for the sound, they still need some breaking in or i need to go to balanced ahhaa... no, seriously atm they sound alittle flabby...however with some tube changes i have got the sound almost to where i like it. Still seem like they need some more break in time....cant wait till i noticed if they changed after a 100 more hours or so.

I have had the 701s. Fantastic headphones to say the least...wonderful highs, fantastic mids and decent bass. I found them to be pretty much the most comfortable headphones ive worn. Of course that is not counting the HE90s im wearing in my avatar pic...those are HUGE and still remain fairly light. Even the HE60s almost feel heavier to me then the HE90s. I really really enjoyed the 701s. As it was a extremely hard choice to make i decided the 650s were more for me. Not to say that you will not enjoy the 701s...i just enjoy more of a darker sound.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by zanavi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actual:

smily_headphones1.gif
mostly been lurking and reading a lot . Do you think the sound of the Stax outweighs the design/material frustration?

Absolutely, they sound amazing. Really great treble detail and excellent mids. Bass is good it doesn't have the punch you in the ear power that some Grados, for example, have.

and of course if you go straight to the top for the Omega II you don't have to deal with the 303/404 plastic cage design issues
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 22
highlife: cool; my first thoughts when opening were: "crap, did i receive some bootleg version of HD 650?"
smily_headphones1.gif
wasn't too enthused about the paint job / finish over the mostly plastic and bits of aluminum and steel here and there. feel a bit relieved to know you prefer their sound over the AKG 701's.

actual: have you had the opportunity to to have a hands on audition of the omega II's? they look pretty solid

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

highlife: cool; my first thoughts when opening were: "crap, did i receive some bootleg version of HD 650?"
smily_headphones1.gif
wasn't too enthused about the paint job / finish over the mostly plastic and bits of aluminum and steel here and there. feel a bit relieved to know you prefer their sound over the AKG 701's.

actual: have you had the opportunity to to have a hands on audition of the omega II's? they look pretty solid

Ya no need to worry...this was asked a while back..

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd5...reland-227333/

Seems all 580s-600s-650s are made is Ireland.

As i said, i really did enjoy the 701s...they are a great sounding can..i cant tell you how much i wanted them after the first big Florida head fi meet. They had me soo hooked after a hour of listening. Its really comfortable too, i dare say extremely comfortable.

Everyones ear is different...to me, the darker sound more fit my listening. I started with Sennheiser, then grado, then AKG and now back to Sennheiser. I think im going to stay here a while =)

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 22
Your welcome...i read and listen =) no better past time..

Btw...Welcome to the boards and sorry for your wallet!

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 22
smily_headphones1.gif
it's funny how stuff that used to give you sticker shock when you first started now seem so reasonable and affordable compared to other stratospheric models you've started to learn about
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
it's funny how stuff that used to give you sticker shock when you first started now seem so reasonable and affordable compared to other stratospheric models you've started to learn about
biggrin.gif

Ohhh aint that the truth =) Ya thats right i said AINT!!

When i first got my HD555s and went to the the Florida Head fi meet last year, i was like..."im never going to be able to afford the 650s"...however my story is like the guy who traded a paper clip for a house =)

I started off with the HD555s, which i loved..then i sold those for the MS1s (thanks Boomana) I then thought, ok well the grado is a great rock can, how much better can it get? Sold my MS1, went to the SR225. Great sound, love rock from a grado...then traded my SR225 + cash for the 701s...Again, was in love with the AKGs from the start...love the comfort...however, i found myself longing for sennheiser goodness. I then traded the 701s for the 650s....whew...

Now what got me to head fi? THE FAMOUS KSC75s...thats right a 14.99$ pair of headphones got me here. In the mean time...i had the HD580s...really great pair of headphones at the price. I loved them very much...but i couldnt see myself keeping them over the 701s. So i sold those off to buy my first DLSR camera.

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #14 of 22
ohh no, i have the itch...however its not to upgrade my 650s. I love them and plan on keeping them for a while as i just did a big circle back to sennheiser.

im considering getting a DAC...

Or the wallet killer known as "going balanced" as i heard the balanced 650s are incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back