New Sennheiser HD-580 in my possession
Mar 28, 2006 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Moonwalker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

Yesterday I tried (AND BOUGHT)
biggrin.gif
HD-580. They sounded good enough to convince me (and my wife) to buy them. I opened them to see the driver type and was surprised there's only magnet without the typical HD-600's copper ring inside vent hole. Did you find the same?
More on them later
smily_headphones1.gif
(Going to listen now - they make me sing along, yes, they're THAT good!)

Moonwalker

Mar 28, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Yep, a very nice pair of headphones. Your wife wanted one too? You are a lucky man...
biggrin.gif
Now go get a nice, beefy amp with 2 headphone outs so you can enjoy the same song at the same time.
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonwalker
Hi!

Yesterday I tried (AND BOUGHT)
biggrin.gif
HD-580. They sounded good enough to convince me (and my wife) to buy them. I opened them to see the driver type and was surprised there's only magnet without the typical HD-600's copper ring inside vent hole. Did you find the same?
More on them later
smily_headphones1.gif
(Going to listen now - they make me sing along, yes, they're THAT good!)

Moonwalker

Theyre great all around cans. Amp aggressively and they snarl, amp mildly and they tone down. Copper ring??? whats that?

I took the pads off mine a while ago and dont recall any shiny copper in there?

Garrett

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi skudmunky! Thanx for the nice words, yes, she's great
biggrin.gif
But I'm afraid I'll stick with my Creek 11SE amp, it's enough for me for a long time. Call me weird.
eggosmile.gif

kramer5150, thanx for your post, the thing is in the magnet hole, it's golden colour and I think all older HD580 and 600 had that ring, newer maybe not, mine for sure and the 650 don't have that thing. Some guy suggested it may serve for shorting eddy currents inside magnet circuit, or it could be there just for making the fragile magnet more rigid and fine-tune the vent size.

Any other suggestions/news regarding old/new drivers for 580 & 600?

PS: Still listening to them - it's pretty addictive, even through 18-bit DAC of my sound card and little Creek
580smile.gif

Moonwalker

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 7
From my expirience, it takes unusually loing time (200+ hours) for 580s to start sounding good to my ears. Give them a lot of burn in, and in a month or so you'll definitely hear a difference.

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Moonwalker...
Congrats. The 580's are a fine set of cans. They get better and better with use. Let them play overnight for a couple weeks. Mine didn't really bloom till around the 100 hour mark.
Now repeat after me.....sound card for my birthday....micro amp for Christmas....sound ca.............

You and your wife enjoy,
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back