New Sennheiser CX-300 sounds horrible...
Apr 26, 2007 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Wazza

Head-Fier
Hi,

I've just bought the Sennheiser CX-300, expecting a great improvement over my much cheaper Sennheiser MX-400 earbuds.
But, I've been really dissapointed so far.
I've tried all the 3 rings included, but none of them produce a decent sound, there's almost no bass, and they sound very harsh, plus they are very uncomfortable.
My Sennheiser MX-400 sounds far superior.
I've bought them from a Dutch webshop for $40 (a very well known webshop), so I doubt they are fakes, also, the package is the same as the pictures I've seen online.
Am I putting these things in my ear the wrong way?,
Or are these Cx-300 just not as good as people say...
frown.gif
?
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Greetz
smily_headphones1.gif
Marcel

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm guessing you're not getting a good seal. The CX300 aren't bass-shy.

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 17
Hi,

I have the creative ep-630 which is a rebadged version of the Cx300. These phones have a very big bass thump for in ear phones.

It sounds very much liek you arent getting a seal. When they seal in your ears, you should feel suddenly there is a big reduction in the sound around you.

They should have come with instructions on how to insert. A tip; use your other hand over your head, to pull your ear up by holding its tip (this stretches your ear canal) allowing you to put the rubber tips into your ear canal more easily.

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I have the creative ep-630 which is a rebadged version of the Cx300. These phones have a very big bass thump for in ear phones.

The ep-630 has drivers 2mm smaller than the cx300. They're made in the same factory by the same people, but they're lesser 'phones.

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 17
My guess is that the OP isnt putting them in the canal right. If you're placing them in your ears like earbuds you will hear no bass at all. The canal phones should be pushed into the ear canal until you get a good seal (it doesnt require a lot of pushing). Once you do this you will immediately become aware of your internal organs working :p

If you are doing the above and still not getting the bass then it could be faulty drivers.

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 17
Hi,

Thanks for your reply's,
I've tried to put them in several times, but I can't get a decent sound...
I'm wearing them using the Medium size earrings, there's more bass than my MX400, but still, it sounds very "canned" and harsh.
Especially cymbals and stuff sound horrible, and it seems to lack mids quite a bit.
For $40, I though I was getting a big improvement over my MX400's, but they sound worse, although they do have more bass.
Also, I did not receive any instructions how to put them in, I don't know if they are supposed to be included in the package, but they arent there.

Greetz
smily_headphones1.gif
Marcel

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 17
to those of you who ever tried cx 300 & mylar 1 or mylar 3
which one do you think is the better phone?
Im very curious about this topic

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Thanks for your reply's,
I've tried to put them in several times, but I can't get a decent sound...
I'm wearing them using the Medium size earrings, there's more bass than my MX400, but still, it sounds very "canned" and harsh.
Especially cymbals and stuff sound horrible, and it seems to lack mids quite a bit.
For $40, I though I was getting a big improvement over my MX400's, but they sound worse, although they do have more bass.
Also, I did not receive any instructions how to put them in, I don't know if they are supposed to be included in the package, but they arent there.

Greetz
smily_headphones1.gif
Marcel

Try putting them in and wiggle/twist them a little until you hear a clicking noise.
Don't know if they all have this pop/click, but others have commented that they do.
After that you should have a good fit.

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 17
I have the original one and i i found them really poor in term of sound quality, really fatiguing sound and in my case is not a sealing problem (i have the bass but not the quality)...
Last but not least, the cable is really irritating for the exaggerated microphonics, i hate it!
No, thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ep-630 has drivers 2mm smaller than the cx300. They're made in the same factory by the same people, but they're lesser 'phones.

Ah ok, didnt know that, then I would guess they are either similar or better, either way it doesnt sound like he is sealing properly.

Or he just needs to buy better phones since he has found all the flaws of the cx300, the only main thing about the creatives is the bass THUMP (even though its bloated), so id guess the cx300 woudl be similar, but it shouldnt really be worse than the mx400....

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 17
Another way to try inserting them is routing the cord over your ear. In other words, put them in upside down and route the wire over the top of your ear then behind. This sometimes helps with seal and also does a lot towards getting rid of microphonics. When you have them inserted correctly you should be able to shake your head without them falling out.

If they continue to sound as bad as you say - I have to suspect fakes. The CX300s are not great canalphones but they aren't bad either. They should give you a nice bass thump which is a bit uncontrolled but very listenable. Mids should be warm and the highs are rolled off. They certainly present a colored sound but one that is easy to listen to IMO.

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 17
Hi Again,

Thanks for all the reply's,
I have done some more listening, But as much as I want to like these earbuds, I dont.
I have sealed them properly, there's plenty of bass, maybe even too much (too boomy).
But they still sound harsh, the sound is just unacceptable for me.
Compared to the MX400 using no eq-ing, they probably sound a little better due to the improved bass.
However, when I boost the lower frequencies, the MX-400 sounds better to me.
Perhaps I'm able to send them back..

Greetz
smily_headphones1.gif
Marcel

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 17
I bought CX300's from ebay (China) for $0.99. Packaging looks exactly like the real one, headphone look real, but they sound like crap (mids and treble are very muddy). They even have the Sennheiser pop in the right side. I believe mine are real but they came out of the rejected pile. I can just picture workers taking the headphone that don't pass quality control and packaging them up anyway, taking them home and selling them on ebay.

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattr762 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought CX300's from ebay (China) for $0.99. Packaging looks exactly like the real one, headphone look real, but they sound like crap (mids and treble are very muddy). They even have the Sennheiser pop in the right side. I believe mine are real but they came out of the rejected pile. I can just picture workers taking the headphone that don't pass quality control and packaging them up anyway, taking them home and selling them on ebay.

well why not if people buy them anyways? gotta know your sources
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Again,

Thanks for all the reply's,
I have done some more listening, But as much as I want to like these earbuds, I dont.
I have sealed them properly, there's plenty of bass, maybe even too much (too boomy).
But they still sound harsh, the sound is just unacceptable for me.
Compared to the MX400 using no eq-ing, they probably sound a little better due to the improved bass.
However, when I boost the lower frequencies, the MX-400 sounds better to me.
Perhaps I'm able to send them back..

Greetz
smily_headphones1.gif
Marcel

Certainly possible that the Senns just might not be for you. If you're up for it, there is one more thing you can try. Let them burn with some pink noise for 9 hours. Made a pretty noticeable difference with mine. I've had really good success doing this with 3 canalphones and one set of IEMs. It has convinced me not to pass judgement on equipment until I've had them for at least a few days. YMMV of course.

Good luck whichever way you choose!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back