New Senn HD650's; will review as they burn-in
Jan 11, 2008 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Audiophool

New Head-Fier
I'm a newbie guys/gals, I just watched the UPS truck drive away and am listening to Diana Krall on my new Sennheiser HD650's. I thought I might post a review as they break-in, since most I've read here are after burn-in. BTW, I got 'em on Ebay from sarjo_distributions for $310.00 + $10.95 shipping (they were ordered on the 9th and arrived today (the 11th) at just before two pm!
They certainly look brand-new, but just-in-case, I left a voicemail for the people at Sennheiser with the serial number, to be certain. To tell the truth, at a dime over 50% off, I don't really care! I am listening thru the earphone jack on my MacBook Pro for now. (Who says there isn't enough power to drive 'em?!?) I've left my name on the drool-soaked wait list for one of the new PICO Headphone Amp/DAC's. I am also going out to buy an Oppo DV-980 this evening (better check the balance in my account first!)
Help me out; I don't know if I'm doing this right... is this the right way to post a review? Does anyone out there even wanna hear my impressions?
Thanks in advance

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 19
well this forum is all about your impressions and others...since everyone pretty much hears and sees the world differently, its nice to hear other peoples perspectives.

So pls, post your thoughts...

BTW, welcome to Head-fi, sorry for your wallet.

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 19
Quick edit, I actually bought 'em from Amazon.com, NOT Ebay, sorry for the error.
eek.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 19
Hi,

I actually find that the better the headphone, the smaller the differences between brand new out of the box and burn-in.

As for it being truly new, I have found that the smell is a dead giveaway
redface.gif
A new pair of Sennheisers has a certain odour about it that even a pair used for a mere day does not have. You can refurbish them with new pads, but it still won't smell the same. It's a bit like the "new car smell", only it is not quite as pronounced or durable once the headphone starts to be used.

Anyone who is olfactory-challenged can engage their dog or the local airport sniffer hound to perform a new / used verification
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 19
Welcome to Head-Fi, and congratulations with your new HD650's.
biggrin.gif

Keep us posted, and don't forget pictures...

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 19
good choice for your first headphone. it might be your last though. there's nothing better than the hd650 in its price range really.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #8 of 19
I just got my brand new 650s today and a new Headroom Millet hybrid amp ta' boot, so we'll go on this journey together. It should be interesting because I've been listening to AKG k01s and while I love lot's about them, the high end harshness/stridency has been killing me. Right out of the box the 650s have been a joy. Let's see where burn in takes us.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for it being truly new, I have found that the smell is a dead giveaway
redface.gif
A new pair of Sennheisers has a certain odour about it that even a pair used for a mere day does not have. You can refurbish them with new pads, but it still won't smell the same. It's a bit like the "new car smell", only it is not quite as pronounced or durable once the headphone starts to be used.

Anyone who is olfactory-challenged can engage their dog or the local airport sniffer hound to perform a new / used verification
smily_headphones1.gif

lol, that's... kinda weird. I've never noticed that about the few *new* pairs I've owned
smily_headphones1.gif
I bet I will notice from now on though.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 19
A nice first step in headphones, but those HD650s just won't be done justice right out of a notebook. A Pico will improve them like you can't even imagine.

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 19
Is there anything that makes you mention the speculation the cans aren't new ?

I've purchased Senns a couple times from sarjo_distributions. Not a hitch and absolutely nothing in the transaction to make me wonder ?

I really like my pair of HD650's. You're going to enjoy the purchase. Congrat's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back