New Sen 650's Which Head Amp?
Nov 20, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #17 of 26
That said, I would recommend doing what tuberoller said. $800 is a decent amount of money. Keep a look out for meets in your area. You will then have the opportunity to hear some equipment before purchasing it. Alternatively, order from one of our sponsors. Many of them will give you an evaluation period, with a full refund should you not be satisfied.

Nov 21, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #18 of 26
Posts deleted due to personal attacks. Please keep this on-topic gentlemen. Thanks.

Nov 21, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #19 of 26
You might also want to consider the HD300. Although they are no longer being produced, you will see them pop-up on the FS/FT forum from time to time in the $400 range. An astronomical bargain for what you get, and a beautiful match for the HD580/6X0 IMO.

Nov 21, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #20 of 26
If you want some clean transistor sound with a totally dual mono design, you can check the Talisman T-3H at $549 (without shipment i think). Very nice professional build quality, CE approved.
icon10.gif

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #21 of 26
Trevor,

It's not my job to edit your posts. If you had something to say that was on-topic you should have made a post free of personal attacks.

Nov 21, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #23 of 26
Solid State: I'm extremely happy with my Ray Samuels HR-2 ($875) w/ my HD650s (stock cable).
I thinks you'd probably also be really happy with the performance of one of the iterations of the Meier HA2 (mkII, mkIIse).
Tubes: In your price range, I tried the PPX3 (6cg7 w/ Solen Cap upgrade) and returned to the HR2. You may be able to get an MPX3 in that range but I haven't heard one.
The new Eartube from Meier looks intriguing but you'd have to stretch your budget a bit ($200+).
Been hearing lots of good things about the EddieCurrent amps too.
Obviously, a meet would allow you to hear a buch of this stuff and you'll be able to make up your own mind. These forums will help you identify the "usual suspects" but I've tried a few "highly recommended" products only to be disappointed. Your own ears will tell you pretty quick.
Good Luck
CPW

Nov 21, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #24 of 26
Like tuberoller said, get yourself to a meet. You have an excellent budget for an amp and can do very well indeed. Personally, for solid state I'd have to say Ray Samuels HR-2, and for tubes and Eddie Current HD300. Both are excellent quality amps that sound great. There are many other options though and you should hear what's out there.

Nov 22, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #25 of 26
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll search and watch for a Los Angeles/SoCal meet - although it might be kinda weird - like, hi, can i come in and listen to your different amps...
eggosmile.gif

I'm reseaching both the tube and solid state approaches. This really takes some time - but is fun nonetheless.

estim8d

Nov 22, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #26 of 26
Yes, you can come in and listen to our gear - amps, cans, sources, anything you'd like to try. Bring your 650's so you can hear them with all the amps. You can even try different headphone cables. It's all about community. A community of folks who love music and headphones with a desire to share our passion.

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet! (standard greeting).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back