New SE530s - no bass?
Dec 26, 2008 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

djm2112

New Head-Fier
It really seems I am getting little to no bass at all. Sonds somewhat "tinny". Yes, I have checked other threads and am pretty sure I am getting a good seal (medium foam tips). Is it possible they are defective? How can I tell/test? I did see another thread where someone said they did a "bass test". How do I do that? Thanks in advance.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 16
(a) You might have gotten a fake, very common in ebay

(b) You might have gotten a bad seal, despite what you think

(c) A lot of people overrated the quantity of the SE530's bass. If you are led to believe that you would be getting bass quantity on the level of the UM2, well you have been misled.

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 16
SE530 does a good job on bass, it is just not over doing it~the sound is balanced apart from a tiny lil roll off on highs (according to others) I really cannot notice it...but definately, if you got a good seal, you are getting the right amount of bass ^ ^

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 16
Like others in this thread have said, make sure you're getting a good seal. Consider the "olive" (black foam) tips that the Shures come with, you might have better luck with those than the silicon sleeves. If you get a good seal, the bass should be there, and not be tinny like you say.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 16
I am using the medium size black foam tips...maybe its my expectations...in my car I have a 12" JL subwoofer...don't get me wrong, these sound nice and clear, just seem to be missing bass

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 16
^^ the sub will do that to you trust me, the shures are the same for me, bass is there but its no way heavy like some say, not even close, but then 12" 1600watt vibes will do this to you, your spoilt by the sub mate and you have to listen very cerfully to the shures to appreciate the tight bass these little fellas put out,remember these are professional earphones intended for true music makers and lovers, subs are designed to bang for all us boy racers out there that like everyone to hear our system, you have to appreciate good quality rather than quantity, and with enough listening time you will see how nice these things can bang.

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 16
Burn-in period?

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate all the responses...jinx, you may be right on there...but, is there any chance they are "defective"? is there a way to test?

oh yeh theres always a way to test, download NCH tone generator, this does exactly what it says

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by djm2112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the medium size black foam tips...maybe its my expectations...in my car I have a 12" JL subwoofer...don't get me wrong, these sound nice and clear, just seem to be missing bass

I've seem a few different threads recently here all complaining about the lack of bass in the SE530s and, I think, all are probably due to the same reason: the listener is coming from a basshead-heavy listening experience and think they will get that with these IEMs. As you have found out, you will not get that kind of bass out of these. You will get tight, well controlled bass, just not the massive rumble bass like those automobile subwoofers provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back