New SE102; is this old E2C rebranded?
Dec 22, 2008 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Title nearly says it all. Old E2C/SCL2 was a single, DYNAMIC, driver earphone offered by shure. It differed to the E3C in that it's single driver was of dynamic variarty as opposed to the E3C's balanced armature driver (the series then continued with balnaced armature technology). This model has suddenly sprung up as available again, some sites citing it as the E2C/SCL2 and others as the SE102. So, asking the obvious, is the SE102 a re-release/rebranding of old E2C (technology)?

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 10
It has a mic and apparently the arms of the actual....uhh "speaker" is larger than the SE models, and I presume that the SCL models are larger so you would be right except it has a mic

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waveblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has a mic and apparently the arms of the actual....uhh "speaker" is larger than the SE models, and I presume that the SCL models are larger so you would be right except it has a mic

Thanks! What purpose does the mic serve?

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think in the us the se102 was only available with the phone mic cable, or was was last time i looked which was a while ago

Is it available elsewhere then (Europe, Australasia?) without this cable?

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 10
It's available in Europe and Asia without the mike :p

But yeah, more or less, SE102 is practically the same thing as SCL2
Differences with SCL2(E2C) and SE102:
-SCL2 has a clear and black version, while SE102 has only black
-SCL2 has a single cord, while SE102 has the short cord, with a long extender (like the rest of shure's SE line)
-SCL2 comes with a carrying case, while SE102 only has a drawstring pouch
-SCL2 has those orange foams, and SE102 only has three pairs of silicone

Overall, SCL2s seem better... Unless you like those really short cables found in those other SHURE phones :p

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ☼Pepe☼ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's available in Europe and Asia without the mike :p

But yeah, more or less, SE102 is practically the same thing as SCL2
Differences with SCL2(E2C) and SE102:
-SCL2 has a clear and black version, while SE102 has only black
-SCL2 has a single cord, while SE102 has the short cord, with a long extender (like the rest of shure's SE line)
-SCL2 comes with a carrying case, while SE102 only has a drawstring pouch
-SCL2 has those orange foams, and SE102 only has three pairs of silicone

Overall, SCL2s seem better... Unless you like those really short cables found in those other SHURE phones :p

Thanks for the detailed breakdown of the differances between the E2C/SCL2 and the rebranded SE102! Much obliged and much of the differances make sense in that it is now a part of SE line.
beerchug.gif

However, even though in Europe and Asia this earphone is available in a mic and non-mic version, what is the purpose and/or advantage of having a mic'ed cable?

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, even though in Europe and Asia this earphone is available in a mic and non-mic version, what is the purpose and/or advantage of having a mic'ed cable?

If you have an iPhone, you can make calls.... That's pretty much it o_O

Since it uses a 3.5mm headphone jack for it's mic, it's really just the iPhone and a few Nokia phones that it would work with (since a lot of other phones use a 1.6mm jack)

Otherwise, the Mic is pretty much useless :p

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ☼Pepe☼ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have an iPhone, you can make calls.... That's pretty much it o_O

Since it uses a 3.5mm headphone jack for it's mic, it's really just the iPhone and a few Nokia phones that it would work with (since a lot of other phones use a 1.6mm jack)

Otherwise, the Mic is pretty much useless :p

Again, now it makes sense
tongue.gif
. Cheers!

May 9, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 10
I bought a pair of the se102 as my new knock-about phones....

Not bad , actually quite neutral, no major deviations from a flat response.

Not the most detailed and resolving headphone I've ever heard, but then again I did just come from the DT48.

I think they are keepers , they don't annoy me too much. (that's an endorsment)

0,1425,sz=1&i=195257,00.jpg

Had a quick listen to the se115 as well , much more bass heavy
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back