New Schiit Magni not turning on
Apr 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

seanmcloughlin7

Head-Fier
So I got a Magni last week and was a bit derpy when I bought it not realising it would come with an American plug (I'm in Ireland so same 3 prong plug as UK) and I ordered a step down voltage converter online for it. While I was waiting for it to arrive I decided to try an adapter that doesn't convert voltage (stupidly) and when I plugged it it it cut the power in my house, a quick flick of a switch in the fuse box though and all was good. 
However when the voltage converter arrived today and I hooked everything up the Magni won't turn on, the light doesn't light up. Which makes me think I may have blown something or broke it when I plugged it into the non converting adapter :frowning2: Bit of a noob move I know but can anyone help or got any advice? The Magni wasn't actually switched on when the power went that time, it was plugged in but I hadn't flicked the switch at the back as far as I can remember.

The voltage converter I got is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003OSRITG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Are you sure the outlet you are using has power?

Yeah, I have tried other things in it and they're all working. I even tried the converter elsewhere. If you're asking if the step down converter has power I have no idea. I have no way of measuring it and there are no visual signs to show it has power. But the main socket definitely has

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 7
Find someone with a multimeter and measure the AC current coming out of the step down converter.  You can find cheap ones around town or at pawn shops.  It is a great tool to have around regardless of this fix.

Once you know whether or not the step down converter is functioning you can diagnose where the problem is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back