New Sarah McLachlan
Sep 8, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 45
Will be checking this out ... I'm a big fan of her voice ...

Sep 8, 2003 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
The album's actually called "Afterglow." "Fallen" is the name of the pre-release single on the radio right now.

Thanks, I heard on the radio that the album's name was "Fallen".

Figures, right?
rolleyes.gif

I hate the radio.

Sep 8, 2003 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 45
Cool, thanks for pointing this out.

Sep 19, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 45
Sounds like this album has potential.

Sep 21, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 45
I likened her to a female Peter Gabriel, and ended up getting into an argument. Anyone else agree? I think she has that same sort of epic songwriting, interesting production, and restrained energy that he does.

PS Thanks for the info, looking forward to it.

Sep 22, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I likened her to a female Peter Gabriel, and ended up getting into an argument. Anyone else agree? I think she has that same sort of epic songwriting, interesting production, and restrained energy that he does.

PS Thanks for the info, looking forward to it.

I agree with the songwriting and energy points, but I feel PG has more interesting production points with his music. I just think he's more "interesting" on the production side of his music, as far as taking chances and incorporating new and (to me) different sounds.

Sep 22, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Sounds like this album has potential.

I cant tell you how much I hope you're right, dh. Sadly, I expect to be disappointed. Since the early 90's, I've been a part of a very dedicated group of Sarah fans that originally began on AOL. Through them, I also had the pleasure of meeting here on two occasions (as well as stablemates Tara McLean and others0.
I have personally seen her, in concert, nearly twenty five times, beginning in 1989 following the release of Touch.
Not many of us are holding out much hope for this new effort.
She is an incredible performer, especially live, but the last album was such a overwhelming disappointment to all of us in the group. There were no more than a couple songs that could have made the b-sides of her previous releases. She had acknowledged terrible songwriting block during that period and the album was released belatedly and wasnt, in any way, reflective of her true ability.
The early word on the new cd is that it contains only nine songs, and is mostly lush ballads. Neither of which is terribly hopeful, and I LIKE lush ballads, but within an overall context.
Here is the comment of the de-facto leader of the Sarah group in a recent e-mail to me :

"Sure, I'm all for quality over quantity, but you would have thought that after a nearly six-year gap, Sarah could come up with more than nine tracks of acceptable music...

(from USA TODAY)
>>"Fans might expect Sarah McLachlan's first studio album since 1997's Surfacing to address the thrills and sorrows of her hiatus. Those events -- marriage to drummer Ashwin Sood, her mother's death, the birth of daughter India, postpartum depression -- may seep into future efforts, but the Canadian thrush says Afterglow, due Nov. 4, mines earlier experieriences and builds on familiar themes of "love, loss and the universal questioning of everything." McLachlan began writing Afterglow 2 1/2 years ago, then took a maternity leave. "I adore being a mother, so it was a hard process to get myself geared back up. I was putting a lot of pressure on myself, and that's a terrible reason to do anything creative. I had to walk away for about two months. At that point, I hated everything I was doing." After a healing break, she cherry-picked her discarded ideas and finished the nine-track collection of mostly lush ballads. McLachlan, who spearheaded the successful three-year run of the Lilith Tour, says her return to the spotlight will test the limits of her twin roles as mom and pop star. "I'm only nervous because I don't know how India will handle it," she says. One encouraging sign: The 17-month-old toddler relishes music. "She loves it when I sing. But then she points to the CD player and wants Raffi." <<

All in all, it would seem her attention and focus has been elsewhere, but I certainly hope we are wrong and its a great release. I'm a huge Sarah McLachlan fan, at least in the context of all that came before "Surfacing".

JC

Sep 22, 2003 at 9:50 AM Post #12 of 45
Its about time! I was worried that she wasnt going to release anymore albums. At least we have been priveladged to have other great female artists come out like Dido, Norah Jones and Amanda Ghost.

Sep 22, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 45
I dig some of her music, but I have a hard time getting past her admitted "flatulence" problem. Every time I see her lead guitarist make a face and look at the bass player, I can only imagine what they're smelling...

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back