New Sangean DT200VX: how does it compare to the DT200V?
Dec 17, 2006 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dead of night

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. A few months ago I bought a new, Sangean DT200V. It works great. However, I've gone to the CCrane website and learned that there is a new, improved model, the DT200VX with "improved AM reception." I wonder if anyone here has had a chance to compare the new model to the old one, and especially had a chance to compare the AM reception between the two. The new one also has a light, and other improvements.

Dec 23, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi. I just scissored open the new Sangean DT-200VX and directly compared it to the old, DT-200V.

For the first time, it is possible to scroll through the memories in either direction on the VX. On the old model, you could only go up, and it was very inconvenient. However, you must press a button on the side of the new model to access memory mode. Once you do, the tuning up and down buttons take you through the presets. It's worth the effort. Curiously, once you press the button again to leave memory mode, the radio leaves the current memorized station and reverts to the previous non-memory frequency you were at before accessing memory mode.

The new model has a light, which comes on every time you press a button. It stays on for about 10 seconds.

The new model tunes FM in 10 mhz increments, the old model in .5 increments. For this reason, the new model scans more quickly. Although the new model, the VX, is smaller in size, the display is larger. FM sound is about the same, although the new model has a scant darker sound to my ears. Possibly, this difference is imagined.

I was most interested in AM reception since the new model touted a "better AM reception." On both models, I went to the weakest daytime AM station in my area and compared.

The new model, the DY200VX, was noticeably better in AM reception, even though the old model is respected by all DXers as one of the best portable AM DXing machines available.

I am very happy with the new model and am confident it will replace the old model which will be forgotten forever. The old model simply has no advantages, except that some might prefer the mono button it had, compared to the mono slide switch on the new model.

Dec 27, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 6
I received this new model of an old favorite for Christmas but am hoping CCrane will let me return it. Though the package says it has a 90 minute timer and a weather channel and alarm it has none of these things. It is the timer that I cannot do without. I listen to the radio in bed and want it to turn off.

While the light is nice and the reception at least as good (I didn't really put it to a test) the lack of a timer is too much for me. I like the radio but plan on buying one of the older models until they replace the timer.

A sheet of paper from CCrane noted that the radio did NOT have a timer or weather channel/alarm but I didn't find the paper until I had opened the radio.

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 6
I really like this radio. I bought it specifically to listen to the am band. It does a great job on. A problem I ran into is, that I had the radio in my pocket with the lock button off! After this occurrence (si?) I can no longer tune the AM band accurately! IE> it skips stations in by a factor of nine. 700, 709, 718, 727, etc.

I can not find an instruction manual online or customer service. any suggestions?

it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back