New S-series launched along with E-series for North America
Aug 25, 2009 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ascariss

100+ Head-Fier
the new E series launched, september released, 8 and 16 gb models and pricing is 110 US/130 CAD and 130 US/160 CAD respectively.

The Walkman Blog: Sony Walkman S540 Series breaks cover

also the new E series launches in the US and canada as well, but it is a differnet model, E34x and not E44x

The Walkman Blog: Sony E-Series lands in North America (NWZ-E34x)

sorry about plugging my blog :p Some tidbits, the E for NA ha no WM-port but a mini-USB and features a sleeper timer and alarm clock along with FM radio. pricing is also not bad, 80 US/100 CAD for 8gb and 100 US/130 CAD for 16gb

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 16
Here's the pre-order for the Sony Walkman S-540 at Amazon. 16 GBs for $130, a 2.4" display, and decent battery life.

This might be a good alternative to a iPod Nano or even the Cowon D2+. That price is just about perfect and I could maybe even convince my sister into getting one instead of a Nano.

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's the pre-order for the Sony Walkman S-540 at Amazon. 16 GBs for $130, a 2.4" display, and decent battery life.

This might be a good alternative to a iPod Nano or even the Cowon D2+. That price is just about perfect and I could maybe even convince my sister into getting one instead of a Nano.

An alternative to the Nano, yes. An alternative to the D2, no. The D2 has an sdHC slot, so the capacity is expandable, and the SQ is fantastic - equal to the Sony.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An alternative to the Nano, yes. An alternative to the D2, no. The D2 has an sdHC slot, so the capacity is expandable, and the SQ is fantastic - equal to the Sony.

The D2+ (since the D2 is no longer produced) costs $130 for a 8 GB and $150 for a 16 GB. The fact at the Sony S540 has 16 GBs for $130 would in my books be a good alternative to the D2+ as well (price wise). You simply can't ignore the Sony because the D2+ has a card slot. It's cheaper than the comparable D2+ (even if you bought the 8 GB and added a 8 GB SDHC card).

Sony now has something to compete with the likes of the Nano, D2/D2+, Zune 16, and so forth.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 16
But how do they SOUND?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And compete with their own S639f too. What a stupid move.

The older S639F has a smaller screen size. It's not surprising to have one model replace another.

Edit: It does videos. Never trusting the first review I read.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But how do they SOUND?
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish I knew. If past products are any indication, then this new S series should have comparable sound quality to Cowon products (unless the drop the ball this time).

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 16
By the way, the S639F does do video.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, the S639F does do video.

Ah, boo, that's what I get for trusting a 3-page review from the first link in a Google search.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The older S639F doesn't even do videos and has a smaller screen size. It's not surprising to have one model replace another.

Where did you get that from? Anyway, judging from the pics, I doubt this one is any good except for the speaker, which can be useful for some. No "Sense Me" and the back looks cheap (maybe that's why it's cheap). Meh.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 16
I checked the sonystyle canada website all the old walkmans are gone and only the new ones are up for pre-order, ie new E and S series.

note the new S can do voice and radio recording as well. Sound wise this will be probably like previous E and S walkmans, I am sure they will not be that poor.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #12 of 16
If it were up to me, I would strongly consider thr $150 Cowon D2+ 16GB over the $130 Sony GB. Yes, it costs a bit more and is a 2.5 year old player, but it's endlessly customizable, has a 2.5" screen, SDHC slot, normal battery time of 55 hrs, and has themes and skins resembling existing players (Ipod Touch, Zune) as well as multiple original designs. I'm disappointed with Sony with this release: While the prices are excellent (they're even beating Sandisk at their own game here), the GUI for the player is extremely dated-looking, and wastes screen space with large, pixelated text and small album art.

That said, if it can scrobble to Last.FM with the Zenses/Zenses2 application like the previous NWZ series could, I'll buy one. Not enough players these days come with that ability built in.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 16
I don't know about the new s series but as far as the new e series goes,yuk!
The sound quality on this is absolutely terrible period.
I heard one yesterday with some 320 lame mp3's which sounded awful.
Quite an un-sony like sound,difficult to describe but basically a very weak bass,dull mids and really dull treble,and this was through ie8's so it was definitely the player.
It sounded like it was either volume capped or the amp was poor because it needed to be seriously cranked to get a half decent volume out of it.
Plus it's an absolute scratch magnet,horrible design and once again very un-sony like.
Just awful,steer well clear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back