New RS-1 ..now need better amp
Jan 15, 2005 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

spdsk8

New Head-Fier
Just purchased a Grado RS-1 from Todd and I need some advice on a new amp. I have a JMT built meta42 amp and my source is an iPod via line out with Lame encoded APS mp3 files. The cans sound awesome as is with the meta but I think I am missing out on better sound with a better quality amp. My first thought was the RA-1 and I can get a good price on one from Todd but I am not sure what to do. Do you think the sound from the RA-1 will be too similar to the JMT meta? I was thinking the RA-1 matched with the RS-1 would sound great as they were made for one another. I also can't help liking the visual appearence of the RA-1 with the matching wood and all.... I have read about the SR-71 and I am sure it is great but with my source will it bring out the flaws too much? It is also a bit more than I would like to spend.

thanks for any feedback...
-Rob

Jan 15, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 19
Gilmore lite.
smily_headphones1.gif

www.headamp.com

Jan 15, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 19
Not to sound like an ass, but you're using the RS1 w/ a portable? I think a source upgrade would do you good as well as amp upgr.

But if you don't want to, the sr-71 would probably fit your system nicely.

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 19
RS-1s are pretty easy to drive so I would look at the source upgrade first personally. Any of the Gilmore amplifers will make a wonderful combination as will the Grado amplifer if you must upgrade the amplifer...

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 19
“I would look at the source upgrade first personally”

Source first gets my vote. You’ve got killer cans a good amp.

You need to listen to your rig with a good source and see what it can do.

Mitch

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 19
Problem is I have a lot of mp3's ( 65 GB worth) but only 75 CD's or so ...and old ones at that. If I were to hold off on the amp what would be a good CD player in the $300 range ....or do I need to spend a lot more?

thanks for the advice...
Rob

Jan 15, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 19
As a long time RS-1 user,

-You need an amp for these to shine. RS-2 s do not need an amp and can be driven off a portable player but not the RS-1. I would characterize the end result as "slow" when I don't connect my RA-1.

-A source upgrade is fine, but unless you splurge and go for ~$700-1000, you are going to be perpetually dissatisfied and will crave upgrades. I'd say stay where you are with the source for now.

-After 30min. or so of listening, I stop listening to the details in the source. I mostly hear the synergy and the musicality. If you are not powering the headphones adequately, these will lack.

-Congrats on the purchase. Give them a good 200 hours of burn-in and then take them with you with your portable for amp shopping.

Jan 15, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 19
Even a low/mid-fi source like a NAD or Azure would help. It's a pretty significant jump over a DAP, IMO. Well, significant in the head-fi way. =)

Jan 15, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 19
“I stop listening to the details in the source”

A better source has a lot more to contribute than just detail. Dynamic range, separation, tonal balance, pace, rhythm, timing and detail among other things.

An amp can only amplify what it gets. A good source will allow a lower quality amp to produce better sounding music. A good amp will only more accurately reproduce a mediocre source it will not improve the sound quality of the mediocre source.

To each there own but you really need to hear it for yourself to decide.

Mitch

Jan 15, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 19
You can try getting a good redbook cd-player. I would buy a used Marantz cd-player from Audiogon for <$100 like 63SE. If it was good enough to be a reference player 8 years ago i am sure it will be a good sounding device!Dont get into the upgrade disease just because some people like to buy more and more equipment. Important is what sounds good to you.

Jan 15, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by recephasan
-After 30min. or so of listening, I stop listening to the details in the source. I mostly hear the synergy and the musicality. If you are not powering the headphones adequately, these will lack.

Though I've only had the RS1 for about 2.5 days, I can completely see what you're getting at. The other night I listened to 4 consecutive Dream Theater albums, totally engrossed in the sound, not even hunger could get me off my butt and away from these cans. Whereas with the HD650, I'd always be thinking "ooh the bass slam, or treble extension, etc...," now I find the Grados just suck me into the music in a way no headphones I've owned ever have.

Jan 16, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
You can try getting a good redbook cd-player. I would buy a used Marantz cd-player from Audiogon for <$100 like 63SE. If it was good enough to be a reference player 8 years ago i am sure it will be a good sounding device!Dont get into the upgrade disease just because some people like to buy more and more equipment. Important is what sounds good to you.

Good advice. But I'm wondering (and I know nothing of the Marantz) whether older players have good jitter correction. Manufacturers began paying attention to jitter only lately. Best thing is to listen and decide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
ough I've only had the RS1 for about 2.5 days, I can completely see what you're getting at. The other night I listened to 4 consecutive Dream Theater albums, totally engrossed in the sound, not even hunger could get me off my butt and away from these cans. Whereas with the HD650, I'd always be thinking "ooh the bass slam, or treble extension, etc...," now I find the Grados just suck me into the music in a way no headphones I've owned ever have.

Yeah! Grados rule
rs1smile.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Though I've only had the RS1 for about 2.5 days, I can completely see what you're getting at. The other night I listened to 4 consecutive Dream Theater albums, totally engrossed in the sound, not even hunger could get me off my butt and away from these cans. Whereas with the HD650, I'd always be thinking "ooh the bass slam, or treble extension, etc...," now I find the Grados just suck me into the music in a way no headphones I've owned ever have.

I've come to the same conclusions myself and is why I primarily use just Grado now. With a good source and amp even the SR60's give you a ton of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back