New RP-21's
Aug 10, 2007 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

xinoxide

500+ Head-Fier
I just received these today. I baught them from EsthetiX, who was by the way, a great pleasure to deal with.

first ill list a couple of the issues i have with them thus far.

Right now, 3 minutes out of the box, the cable wont stay off my face, and is very stiff, but thats ok i have dealt with worse, it just takes time.

unsatisfactory mids, as a first impression of the mids, if youve ever heard a track called 'Sure Thing' by Saint germain, youd know it has one killer rimshot in it, this is almost completely missing, but i would still say its made up for by the smooth highs.

The highs are smooth yes, but there is an appearent rolloff, wich isnt too close to the mids, but still not up there with my prolines. (for $100, still VERY satisfactory
biggrin.gif
)

if i could somehow mate my prolines with these RP-21's i think id be pretty near to heaven.

The bass is also pretty leveled out, its not lacking in some of my more bassheavy tracks. but when the track calls for it to be plentiful, it seems to be a tad muddy. but on tracks with a lighter not so up front bassline, its pretty damn smooth for a $100~ headphone. once again, very satisfied.

inside of the cup, the padding seperating my ears from the driver mounting, has an edgy kind of uh.... i dunno, but i feel like im surrounding my outer ear with forks, but only on the very outer edge, it doesnt hurt or anything, its just kind of distracting.

The earpads are nice and heavy duty feeling for being what they are, and so far, the top of my head only itches a little bit from the headband. wich isnt as bad as my prolines and that little dinky pad were, for those with hair: beware the itch.

Thanks Esthetix, i am enjoying these
wink.gif

P.S.

i think im going to go and try to stick my prolines cable into my rp-21's

see if i can get a RProline-2100.

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 7
well as a proline 750 and RP21 owner as well i have to say that for the price, the RP21 perform very well.

I disliked them at first, but someone said give them a few WEEKS to burn in, and i have to say they're doing quite nicely. i don't find the RP21's the most comfortable headphones.

i do love my 750's though!

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 7
Burn-in and Beyer vinyl pad and foam mod.

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 7
Yes, I found a few hundred hours and the Beyer earpads work great but at least a few hundred hours run time. I have around 800 hours or more on mine now and they sound great.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 7
awesome, i had an idea the burn in was going to take a while.

and i already have plans for beyer padding, but im not too sure on the foam mod, that would bring out the high frequencies right?

and the beyer pads, they are quite a bit thicker than these? (i already tucked cable around under the padding for more ear-room in my ear-tools.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 7
The Beyer pads are a little thicker and denser. The foam comes with the pads so you can always mess around with the foam mod.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 7
i have no choice then, it must be done.

i also want to do something about the headband comfort, is there any easy fixes to the headband as of thus far?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back