New room= new problem
Mar 14, 2005 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ScrapIron

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I moved my HT setup setup into a small room upstairs (yeah!). Left the TV, VCR and DVD in the living room.

The setup (B&K Ref 20 preamp and AV5000 II amp, Musical Fidelity A3.2CD, transparent cable, Boston VR-M60 monitors) sounds excellent. Boxed up the sub and center spkr. And my problem is this-

My headphone stuff (see sig) is sitting useless. Because the preamp has only one set of analog inputs that can be made "direct" and not use the internal processor. There are only one set of analog outs on the CD. The option is to get a DAC to be able to run analog outs to the EMP. But that seems crazy. And I don't want to spend any $$.

Now, let's be honest.. I have my own room! In a house with 3 women (one wife, two daughters) this is a small miracle. So what are the alternatives... besides ditch one or the other or spend $$. I have been toying with selling/trading the HT stuff to get a nice 2 channel integrated tube amp, but I will have the same issues (unless it has a good 'phone section).

Ideas?

Mar 15, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 7
Is there some reason you cannot connect your headphone amp to your preamp via the preamp's tape output?

Mar 15, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapIron
Boxed up the sub and center spkr.

ScrapIron, are you saying you went from 5.1 to 4-channel or from 3.1 to 2 channel?

If you're scraping your HT setup for 2-channel, why don't you unload your B&K and get a good 2-ch. integrated amp? I just checked on Audiogon and the Ref. 30's are going for a bit shy of a grand. That's plenty to get you a decent solid-state integrated amp, though I don't know if that'll get you a decent tube amp -- I'm not clued in on tube amps, except for guitar tube amps.
cool.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 7
I went from a 3.1 channel to a 2.

I actually have the Ref 20, which goes for less than the 30. I actually have thought of going this route, I mean, I don't need a 5 channel amp. I would love to get a nice int tube amp with a decent headphone out. Maybe a Cary? I might throw that stuff up on Audiogon/ebay and see what happens.

Of course as soon as I do that, I'll want to hook the HT back up and...
eek.gif

And yes, bhd812, it has been wonderful. Wonderful, wonderful, and again wonderful. I am truly blessed with a great family. There may come a day when the room gets a new purpose, but I'm enjoying it while I can.

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 7
Is there some reason you cannot connect your headphone amp to your preamp via the preamp's tape output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back