New RME Fireface UC (USB) Arrived the US !
Aug 29, 2009 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bordins

100+ Head-Fier
I came across information about the new RME Fireface UC ($1,299).

products_fireface_uc_1.jpg

* 8 Input / 18 Output channels
* 8 x Analog I/O
* 1 x ADAT I/O or 1 x SPDIF I/O optical
* 1 x SPDIF I/O coaxial
* Word Clock In/Out
* 1 x USB 2.0
* 2 x Mic Preamp with digitally controlled gain

The compact Fireface UC has been uncompromisingly optimized for highest performance under Windows and Mac OS. Based on a newly developed RME Hammerfall core the Fireface UC provides revolutionary ultra-low latencies even with multiple channels. It uses two different firmware versions with different transfer methods to remove current restrictions of typical USB audio interfaces. The unit's operating mode Win or Mac can be changed directly at the unit at any time. Under Mac OS the Fireface's MIDI ports are class compliant, the operating system therefore automatically uses the included MIDI driver.

Under both Operating Systems the available latencies* are simply sensational. The smallest buffer offered under Windows has 48 samples, under Mac OS X 14 samples. With this RME provides a performance previously not available from USB audio interfaces.

RME: Fireface UC

Read some user's reviews:

FINALLY! Americas has got some FFUC @ RME Forum

What's the word on RME Fireface UC ? @ GearSlutz

I'm extremely happy with my Fireface UC (FFUC). It works like a charm, even on my aging computer (Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3000+, Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X-E). I haven't used the Fireface 400 (FF400), but "people say" it performs quite similarly.

I own both the Fireface UC and 400, so feel free to ask any questions.

The internals of the FF UC and FF 400 are practically the same except for the FW vs USB part and some (likely revision) changes to some capacitors. So naturally they should sound the very same.

On a Macbook Pro with both OS X and Windows the FF UC not only outperforms the FF 400 slightly, but additionally offers smaller real-world latencies because of smaller safety-buffers.

Has USB audiophile arrived yet ? We may not need Firewire any more. PC Audio is moving to Notebook/Netbook Audio.
biggrin.gif

I hope to see head-fier's reviews soon.

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 2
Just came across a post saying about the FFUC.

Pros:
- better PCIe like performance
- future proof, FW will fade away
- no FW chipset problems
- Netbooks, Macbooks without FW
- realtime tuning up and down

Cons:
- no bus power (USB 2,5 W only)
- USB chipset quality and compatibility differences
- works not below XP SP2 and OSX 10.5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back