New Rise of the Triad title announced
Aug 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NamelessPFG

Headphoneus Supremus

GameSpy: New Rise of the Triad Game Announced at QuakeCon

I almost thought it was a several-months-late April Fools joke at first, given the current FPS market.

But I really, REALLY hope this doesn't suck and captures what made the original so good.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #4 of 13

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 13
I don´t remember anything about the original. And it was during my fps hungry years where Doom 2 was my awakening. Thought it was fun but was very plain in comparison :)

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 13
That was actually quite amusing, I actually expected something like Sleeping Dogs, or at least something which resembles the stereotypical triads. Somehow the trailer reminds me of this super old game titled "Spear of Destiny"

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
That was actually quite amusing, I actually expected something like Sleeping Dogs, or at least something which resembles the stereotypical triads. Somehow the trailer reminds me of this super old game titled "Spear of Destiny"

By "stereotypical triads" do you mean Chinese organized crime?

Totally not what ROTT was about :)

Interesting that you mention Spear of Destiny, however: that was published in 1992 as a prequel to the granddaddy of them all, Wolfenstein 3D. Both were developed by id Software and (I think) published by Apogee--not entirely certain what that relationship was. Anyway, Rise of the Triad was originally conceived as as prequel to Wolfenstein 3D, even though it was eventually spun off into its own product, perhaps because of Spear of Destiny's release three years before.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 13
Yep, I meant the Chinese Triads, or at least the ones featured in the Hong Kong drama serials. In fact, googling the word "Triad" will turn up the Wikipedia entry for it, which describes it as Chinese criminal organization. Well, Spear of Destiny popped up in my mind because of the way the game seemed to be played, the point of view of the player as well as the fact that it was the first ever computer game I actually played. Didn't know that anyone else here actually had memories of that game!

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 13
I actually had to Google Sleeping Dogs, and subsequently triad, to make the connection. The first thing into my mind was actually triffids. Go figure
redface.gif

Anyway, I cut my gaming teeth in the mid-90s, and on a steady diet of early shooters (Wolf3D and ROTT being two of my favorites), space sims (well hello Wing Commander!) and RPGs (and Ultima!). Nowadays, I amuse myself by hunting down and collecting games from the era in original packaging, preferably with feelies :)

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 13
"Feelies" are things old games used to have in their boxes that represented items you'd find in-game, usually. Infocom in particular was famous for them, but other developers did it too.

These days, you generally won't get any feelies unless you pay up for collector's editions, and sometimes not even then.

If you want some examples, here's a list.

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #13 of 13
WOW! ROTT was the first game I remember playing where bullets left holes in the wall and you could write stuff...that and the eyeballs flying at the screen!

Let's hope this won't be like DNF...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back